Cleveland Alloy Blocks - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2005, 17:26   #1 (permalink)
Approach with caution.

Cleveland Alloy Blocks

Has anyone heard much about these? how far away are they??
Will anyone upgrade to one?
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2005, 17:43   #2 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Re: Cleveland Alloy Blocks

I've read about them. From memory they are being made in Western Australia. The only people I could see upgrading to one would be drag racers. They aren't really a cost effective option for a low budget person. I'll post more details when I remember where I saw them.

Brenden
Old 01-07-2005, 17:44   #3 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Last edited by brenx; 01-07-2005 at 18:05. Reason: double post
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 17:59   #4 (permalink)
Approach with caution.

http://www.sjperformance.com.au/Aussieparts.html

Go to the bottom of the page!
Old 01-07-2005, 18:08   #5 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

I just found that webpage via google when you posted your link. I am purchasing a few bit'n'pieces from them. While I'm organising my order I'll ask Glenn for more details. I seem to recall Steven or Glenn stating the blocks maybe around $5000?? Price was stated somewhere on 351cleveland.net last year.

Brenden
Old 01-07-2005, 18:15   #6 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Found the link

http://www.network54.com/Forum/threa...eid=1088740453
Old 01-07-2005, 18:26   #7 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

A bit more on this link:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/threa...eid=1090771447

Hi all, We have been watching this post with interest regarding pricing etc and feel it is now time to comment.
russxr7 called us recently and we discussed cost of the Alloy block, He pushed me for a retail price which I did state to him we have not finalized our costs as yet, so any price is not concrete but purely on our first small production run he asked if pricing would be comparable to the locally made 308 Holden Alloy block that sells for between $8800 to $9900 Australian and I stated at this time yeah about that would be right. But I did reinterate that this is not a concrete price. The pricing I have is for a small run for testing purposes, such as cutting up after full machining has been done to check casting for porisity etc and quality, testing on dyno & real world to ensure oil system/block strength is what we want.
I can't see how some can expect an Alloy Cleveland block for $2500USD when an Alloy Dart is around the $4000USD area having an expection like that is just being unrealistic. Our aim is to be able to price the block in the USA and here in Australia at a competitive price when compared to other after market blocks such as the Dart but it all depnds on production costs which are more expensive here in Australia than the USA. Overseas casting may be an option for us too we are still looking at these options.
At present the cost is speculation we do not have a final sale price for Australia let alone the USA. When we have definate pricing we will release it.
The other side of it is that the more that are preordered the better the price will be because of the higher volumes.
Hope this is as clear as mud!!
Regards to all
Glenn
SJ Performance
Old 01-07-2005, 18:52   #8 (permalink)
Approach with caution.

Imagine the crank/bore combinations: 4" x 4.125" = 427 cubes for starters!
Add some big CHI's, TFC manifold, 6" H beam Carrillos, 870 BG and roller cam! hmmm...... maybe next years xmas present??!!
Old 01-07-2005, 19:13   #9 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

All sounds good BUT

For the cost of the block you could just buy a 400ci block and stroke it to around 440->460ci and throw CHI's on. Better again is just fit a 460 and stroke that. 460's ain't dear. Changing the plugs would be fun though.

Manufacturers forget they must remain competative whether they are in Aust or not. If it ain't competative/comparable pricing with other engine blocks. The other engine will get the $. Most expensive/extravagant blocks become race only blocks due to racers being the only ones that can drop that sort of $ on a block.

My dyno tuner bought two chev blocks (Fontana I think) for $2500Aud ea. Which I think is an affordable block for the regular cleveland user. Any more than that just puts them way out of reach for us normal people who don't earn $50,000+ a year. To make the most $ manufactures will need to sell loads in volume (which is what they want) to the little guys. Big $ racers may buy maybe 2-4 blocks per 1-2 seasons. So that's not a wise market to aim for.

As usual as time goes on things get cheaper. Then once the $ are right the product will become affordable and popular. Then the price will sit steady. I remember when bought my CHI's they were selling for nearly $5000 complete. 2 years on and they are $3200-$3700.

Brenden
Old 01-07-2005, 22:22   #10 (permalink)
'60 F100 Q-Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
All sounds good BUT

For the cost of the block you could just buy a 400ci block and stroke it to around 440->460ci and throw CHI's on. Brenden
...of course, a 400ci "block" is really just a tall, whimpy 2V Cleveland block with a STROKER CRANK...in other words, I'm not sure how you're going to stroke it to 440-460 CI. I don't see you getting another .25" stroke into it without some definite custom work like a custom small journal crank with custom length, Honda-sized rods (for clearance). Maybe it would work, who knows? However, the end result would be a not too inexpensive POS compared to a nice SVO block with a large bore and a decent stroke.

:davis:
davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech