cleveland heads - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2003, 17:50   #1 (permalink)

cleveland heads

I have bought a 72 cleveland motor and it's a 2v, i wanted to find a 4v, but this one came along for a good price, so i think i'm gonna build it up. I heard that the 2v heads are still pretty good, and if ported and bigger valves are used, they will pull good horsepower. I just want to know if anyone has had any experience with porting out the 2v's and if anyone has any suggestions for me to my new motor. Thanks
oldpete78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2003, 18:12   #2 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

In regards to suggestions. Don't go porting too big if your using a small cam. Also keep the stock sized valves to keep the air speed up. My mates old 351 made 210rwkw. 2V closed chamber heads/stock valves/580 thou lift cam/10:1 compression. I spent a lot more and didn't gain that much more. Most mines done exhaust on is 230rwkw. It's done more exhaust off but I don't count that.

On my 2V's I've gone full race porting (huge) with 4V valves. Max I've found they'll flow is about 400-450hp. I am contemplating selling my heads and going for some CHI alloys. Off the shelf they flow more than I've got my 2V's to flow. They also have a better combustion chamber (prevents pinging). The cost of the CHI's is the killer though.

My heads complete cost me close enough to $3500. Thats double springs/chromoly retainers/stainless steel Milodon single groove valves/collet to suit/3 angle porting/machining for screw in studs/studs/guide plates/roller rockers/k-line guides/bronze seats. I am sure there was more .

Go screw in studs if your going to have a solid cam. Biggest lift I've seen from stock rockers is 580thou. It was really noisey though. Noisier than my solid cammed 351.

Brenden
Old 07-01-2003, 18:19   #3 (permalink)

Re: cleveland heads

im not sure where you live pete but if you are looking to get the max out of the heads you will want to speak to someone with CNC machining gear. Kosteki engine centre in WA have the right gear and they do head work for most of the V8 supercar teams aswell as some of the top drag racers from all over oz. they have a website which u can hopefully get to from here: www.kec.com.au Otherwise if u are dead keen on the idea of 4V I have a spare bare set here in WA. PM me for more details.

Steve.
XA_JG66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 18:22   #4 (permalink)

ok, so you say i should just clean up the heads and leave the sizes stock. I will just get new valve guides amd springs and get the seats ground and mabye new valves. I am planning to go with a .530 lift cam. should i get hydraulic lifters or go solid? With stock heads, do i need knotched pistons to go with a .530 lift cam? do roller rockers work a lot better?
Old 07-01-2003, 20:07   #5 (permalink)

I've just ported my 2v closed chamber heads, I cleaned up the intakes but spent a lot more time on the exhausts. Mill out the hump as much as possible for better exhaust flow. The intake on the 2v heads flows enough, but the exhaust is not big enough, a known problem with clevo heads.

With a cam with no more than .530 lift I'd go the hydraulic cam, not sure if you'll need notched pistons, I need to know myself as I'm also upgrading my cam. I'm going around the sam lift but with around 290 degrees duration. The overlap will help if the engine has too much compression with the quench heads.

Valve springs go for 90-110 pounds on seat and around 280 at lift. I'm running bolt on roller rockers, there fine but as Brenden said only up to around .585 lift.

Valves: Clevo heads 2v valves are big enough there as big or bigger than Chev heads, maybe change the exhaust to the bigger size 1.71 if you have spare money!

Paul
clevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 20:22   #6 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpete78
ok, so you say i should just clean up the heads and leave the sizes stock. I will just get new valve guides amd springs and get the seats ground and mabye new valves. I am planning to go with a .530 lift cam. should i get hydraulic lifters or go solid? With stock heads, do i need knotched pistons to go with a .530 lift cam? do roller rockers work a lot better?
No, port the heads etc but leave valves stock sized. For 530thou stay hydraulic and stock rockers. Don't bother with roller rockers. You don't have to get the pistons notched. I am running 610thou lift/flat top pistons and zero deck height.

The idea is to keep the windspeed up. A thermoquad or 650 holley double pumper running off the stock fuel pump will do the trick.

If you're reving past 5500? I'd suggest 130-135lbs springs and single groved stainless valves.

Brenden
Old 07-01-2003, 20:28   #7 (permalink)
Catching Bugs

But watch out for the bang factor when the head of the vavle rips of then punches a hole through your piston(dam i enjoyed my 210rwkw for 2 days)
xbwgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 22:03   #8 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbwgn
But watch out for the bang factor when the head of the vavle rips of then punches a hole through your piston(dam i enjoyed my 210rwkw for 2 days)
Hence why I said stainless steel single grove valves Stainless won't fail like stock Clevo valves (steel) and the allow the use of unleaded fuels.

Brenden

Last edited by brenx; 07-01-2003 at 22:15.
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 21:49   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for all the tips. I think i'm gonna go with a weiand excellerator intake. It's single plane. It's the only decent one that i could find for that engine. Does anyone have any other ones that they know of, or any suggestions of what to get?
Old 07-04-2003, 00:42   #10 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Check in Parts peddler mag..Plenty in there, some sell tongues that fit in port to help flow and velocity also inlets...hth...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech