Cleveland Pillow Block - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2005, 00:58   #1 (permalink)
GEARBOX WRECKER

Cleveland Pillow Block

Anyone know the whereabouts of a Black XD or pillow clevo block.

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Hate it or love it,the underdog's on top"
Standard Headers and Rubber & More to Come.
04 Focus Zetec R
YELLOW GLOW XB GT
GT-P 738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2005, 01:59   #2 (permalink)
ESP
V8 GT pilot

Re: Cleveland Pillow Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-P 738
Anyone know the whereabouts of a Black XD or pillow clevo block.

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Got one factory fitted in the ESP.................. ( pillow block that is...rare as.......Black Blocks are much easier to find )

Don't know where you're gonna find one, they are really really difficult to find. There is no given rule as to what specific model they were factory fitted to. Rumor has it that they were the last castings of the Australian Clevo and were probably fitted to the last of the V8 XE ESP's or the F series trucks in Ambulances etc. ( around 1982 - 1984 )

I looked for one for ages as a "just in case" replacement block for the ESP for ages but could never source a good virgin one. I tried heaps of wreckers, trading posts etc. Came across1 good last year but the asking price was way too steep.

Good Luck..................
ESP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 03:07   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, just a matter of right place right time. Call around a few country obscure wreckers too.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:34   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu351
Yeah, just a matter of right place right time. Call around a few country obscure wreckers too.
I can just see it now.
"yeah, do you have the ultra rare pillow block handy, mr wreckers"
What, only $50. hahahaha

Just get a std XD/XE black block.
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 04:12   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdclevo
I can just see it now.
What, only $50. hahahaha

Nah.....not exactly what I meant. Not ALL wreckers who have spare blocks know exactly what they are. I'd put on the stooopid hat if I called up. Not too much selection up there in Cairns........but you know there's one lying around an old yard somewhere!

It's nice to prey one peoples' ignorance sometimes.

I would ask them if they had any spare 351C blocks and ask if I can have a look.........I'l take "that" one please.

But like you said........nothing wrong with just a late model block. Pillows are only good for sleeping on.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:20   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu351
Nah.....not exactly what I meant. Not ALL wreckers who have spare blocks know exactly what they are. I'd put on the stooopid hat if I called up. Not too much selection up there in Cairns........but you know there's one lying around an old yard somewhere!

It's nice to prey one peoples' ignorance sometimes.

I would ask them if they had any spare 351C blocks and ask if I can have a look.........I'l take "that" one please.

But like you said........nothing wrong with just a late model block. Pillows are only good for sleeping on.
I was very lucky with mine. I had just destroyed my motor from the failed cam, and had to get new block and all. I pick one up from a mate for 100 bucks, and it was a std bore Pillowblock, and he didnt even know. Must of been 1 in a million to get that lucky in Cairns. One day earlier, i nearly bought a different XD block to use, but he had misplaced the caps, so i just lucked it in the end.
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 07:18   #7 (permalink)
GEARBOX WRECKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdclevo
I can just see it now.
What, only $50. hahahaha

Yeah im trying to just get a Black XD one for now,this will be the secoond rebuild with split bore syndrome No5

04 Focus Zetec R
YELLOW GLOW XB GT
Old 07-02-2005, 07:23   #8 (permalink)
GEARBOX WRECKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
Got one factory fitted in the ESP.................. ( pillow block that is...rare as.......Black Blocks are much easier to find )

Don't know where you're gonna find one, they are really really difficult to find. There is no given rule as to what specific model they were factory fitted to. Rumor has it that they were the last castings of the Australian Clevo and were probably fitted to the last of the V8 XE ESP's or the F series trucks in Ambulances etc. ( around 1982 - 1984 )

I looked for one for ages as a "just in case" replacement block for the ESP for ages but could never source a good virgin one. I tried heaps of wreckers, trading posts etc. Came across1 good last year but the asking price was way too steep.

Good Luck..................

Man that car you got there is Sweeeeeeeet!!!

Here's the car it's goin in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0131a.JPG (80.9 KB, 122 views)

04 Focus Zetec R
YELLOW GLOW XB GT
Old 07-02-2005, 09:18   #9 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Why is it spliting bores? Too much piston slap (piston clearance)? Bad choice of block? I've never seen a clevo split a bore that wasn't hit by something. ie a rod or more commonly the head of a valve.
Old 07-02-2005, 16:59   #10 (permalink)
ESP
V8 GT pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-P 738
Man that car you got there is Sweeeeeeeet!!!

Here's the car it's goin in.
Great lookin XB.................Ridgey didge is it ??.............but who cares anyway..........it looks great.

I'm still lookin for a spare "pillow block"............I have rung heaps of wreckers to no avail............it's probably threads like these that ensures we'll never get one for a reasonable price..............sooner or later they'll see us coming a mile away and start rubbing their hands............"sure........I got one matey.......you got $1000 bucks !!!!!!!!!! "

The reason I want one is for the originality in case something drastic happens to my block. There's been heaps of debate about what this block actually is. As far as I can tell..........there is no difference to the thickness or quality of the block. It's just the design around the deck ( the clumps ) that is different. Rumour has it that they were designed around the demands for Mercruiser for speed boat racing. The clumps supposedly offer additional volume for water or bore rigidity ??????

Don't know............anyway Kosteki engine centre in WA seek them out for their HiPo Clevo rebuilds and have written an article about them. I rang FORD engineering in Broady and Geelong for more info but in typical FORD HQ fashion they were clueless.

EIther way, they are extremely rare and there is a little bit of mystery surrounding their intended purpose which kinda makes it real cool.
ESP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech