Cleveland spark plug recommendations - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2006, 04:31   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,927
Cleveland spark plug recommendations

What is the best type of spark plug to help reduce pinging in Clevelands? I have 302 closed chamber heads (with the chambers relieved) on a 351. The plugs are not fouling but there may be some carbon build up in the chambers. I only run 98PULP (Ultimate) and my initial advance is set at 12degrees. I have tried everything but am reluctant to take off the vacuum advance. Any suggestions as to which plugs might help?
__________________
1978 XC Fairmont GXL, Emerald green, Jade Int. 351C, 750 VAC, C10, 9" LSD
Air, steer, power windows................
xcgxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-06-2006, 05:38   #2 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont
 
brenx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cranbourne, Vic
Posts: 5,113
Re: Cleveland spark plug recommendations

NGK BP6ES (cold) or BP7ES(colder)
__________________
XB Fairmont (street car) 11.07@123.02mph.
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 06:59   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 58
Re: Cleveland spark plug recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
What is the best type of spark plug to help reduce pinging in Clevelands? I have 302 closed chamber heads (with the chambers relieved) on a 351. The plugs are not fouling but there may be some carbon build up in the chambers. I only run 98PULP (Ultimate) and my initial advance is set at 12degrees. I have tried everything but am reluctant to take off the vacuum advance. Any suggestions as to which plugs might help?
#1 does the engine run on when you turn it off..

#2 did you change the advance RATE when you put the cc heads on..

#3 where is the vacuum advance connected to (ported or manifold vacuum)..

#4 has the pinging problem been there ever since you changed the heads,or has it started to do that some time later..
soverign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 07:21   #4 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont
 
brenx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cranbourne, Vic
Posts: 5,113
Re: Cleveland spark plug recommendations

and what is the total advance. Initial means very little.
__________________
XB Fairmont (street car) 11.07@123.02mph.
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 08:37   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
TruBlu351's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 2,398
Re: Cleveland spark plug recommendations

Remember to plug your vacuum hose if you're checking your total advance whilst free revving it (not under load).
__________________
XE Falcon
393 Tremec TKO 9"
TruBlu351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 15:02   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,927
Re: Cleveland spark plug recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by soverign
#1 does the engine run on when you turn it off..

#2 did you change the advance RATE when you put the cc heads on..

#3 where is the vacuum advance connected to (ported or manifold vacuum)..

#4 has the pinging problem been there ever since you changed the heads,or has it started to do that some time later..
1. No it doesnt run on.
2. MSD dissy is set to the slowest advance curve, two heavy silver springs
3. Connected to ported vacuum on RH side of (Holley) carb. Yes we plugged the advance when we checked the timing. Total timing is 20 degrees in the dissy as it came from the factory.
4. The motor was built replaced as a complete unit. It only used to ping when towing originally but is worse now. It dosent run very well with the ignition retarded below 12 degrees. I think it may have a build up of carbon. I was going to throw some new plugs in and take it for a long drive.
__________________
1978 XC Fairmont GXL, Emerald green, Jade Int. 351C, 750 VAC, C10, 9" LSD
Air, steer, power windows................
xcgxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 15:15   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 181
Re: Cleveland spark plug recommendations

May pay to do a compression check as well. My first engine had a ping and got worse over time, ended up with a head gasket blown between 2,3,4, cylinders.
xw383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 16:08   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
TruBlu351's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 2,398
Re: Cleveland spark plug recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by xw383
May pay to do a compression check as well. My first engine had a ping and got worse over time, ended up with a head gasket blown between 2,3,4, cylinders.
I've had that too. Actually, they were blown on both sides in the same spot.
__________________
XE Falcon
393 Tremec TKO 9"
TruBlu351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 16:49   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 58
Re: Cleveland spark plug recommendations

if you don't mind,can you give us the basic spec's of the car and engine..

what holley is it and what condition is it in..how much of the transition slot is showing with the butterfly's closed..
how much manifold vacuum do you have at idle..and does the car surge when you are cruising along in top gear say,at 60-80 km/hr..

how far out are the idle mixture screws and are they responsive when you move them..
soverign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 17:25   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,927
Re: Cleveland spark plug recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by soverign
if you don't mind,can you give us the basic spec's of the car and engine..

what holley is it and what condition is it in..how much of the transition slot is showing with the butterfly's closed..
how much manifold vacuum do you have at idle..and does the car surge when you are cruising along in top gear say,at 60-80 km/hr..

how far out are the idle mixture screws and are they responsive when you move them..
Yes it surges a little
Im not sure how to check the transition slot.
I have a 750 Vac newer type 80....series, its a Holley factory reco. very little use.
Cam is Crow: 2113675
IN.33/73
EX.78/35 duration: 286-293 Duration at .050": 226-232 valve lift: 530"

.548"2700-5800rpm K21043 "Popular hot street cam which delivers strong strip performance"

Mixture screws are two turns out from seated. Don't know about responsive?? Convertor is 2300rpm by dominator. I suspect it is a tad small as the idle drops back a fair bit when put into drive and even more when the thermofans cut in and you can forget about the air con at idle unless I screw the idle right up. We managed to get it idling nicely in gear but its now pinging.
__________________
1978 XC Fairmont GXL, Emerald green, Jade Int. 351C, 750 VAC, C10, 9" LSD
Air, steer, power windows................
xcgxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:50.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.