clevo heads onto 351W - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2005, 21:10   #1 (permalink)

clevo heads onto 351W

About to start the build up of my turbo motor, its a 351W bottom end and I want to use my clevo heads on it, the heads are 2V CC but have been relieved in the chambers. I know that the water outlet has to be relocated to the side of the head and that the old outlet needs to be blocked off. I will be using a custom intake manifold.

Anyone know what other problems might show up?

Do I need to drill the heads or block?

Would windsor gaskets be used or clevo gaskets?

Could I drill the outlets into the front of the heads? If so would a -12 outlet be enough flow.

Any info would be of a great help
Thanks
ltd351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2005, 04:39   #2 (permalink)

Re: clevo heads onto 351W

Clevo style pistons and longer push rods.
Old 05-21-2005, 04:44   #3 (permalink)

You trying a sought of boss style engine? If you can afford to turbo the engine i'd buy alloy heads and as most will tell you CHI will do the job and i would say they would probably be interested in your engine and talking to you and a bit of R & D, i do not have these head's yet but have spoken to them and they are very helpfull.
AZZA
azza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 05:18   #4 (permalink)
slikxb

G'day LTD351, -12 outlets should be enough, I ran -12 outlets out the front of my heads and it never overheated, it was n/a street motor though. I ended up changing it to a windsor style manifold though cause not having a thermostat was a true pain in the arse. Felpro 1021 head gaskets are the go, they are specifically for boss motors, and are quite different to both the clevo and windsor head gaskets.(check that number before ordering). In the installation instructions it tells you to drill some holes in the block and heads, you basically just driil all holes that dont line up with the holes in the gasket. This eliminates steam pockets, ect, that could lead to cooling probs.
buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 05:22   #5 (permalink)
BLOWNXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd351
About to start the build up of my turbo motor, its a 351W bottom end and I want to use my clevo heads on it, the heads are 2V CC but have been relieved in the chambers. I know that the water outlet has to be relocated to the side of the head and that the old outlet needs to be blocked off. I will be using a custom intake manifold.

Anyone know what other problems might show up?

Do I need to drill the heads or block?

Would windsor gaskets be used or clevo gaskets?

Could I drill the outlets into the front of the heads? If so would a -12 outlet be enough flow.

Any info would be of a great help
Thanks
Hey Ltd351 my engine is a windsor with clevo heads except the 3v CHI the main things were to obviously have ur canted pistons for the valve relief, we used the cleveland head gaskets and from memory i think we drilled the block to match the clevo gasket (ill speak to my mechanic to confirm its been a while cant remember for sure) we had to use double manifold gaskets (which we glued together) to get the TFC manifold to sit right, but the manifold had to be a custom manifold at the time as TFC didnt make manifolds to suit (not because of the provision for water passage but because the base of the manifold for a cleveland is different to windsor) as for the heads the holes were blocked up and a new passage on the front of the head close to were the alternator bracket bolts to, and SQP made a custom thermostat housing to suit. another thing is im not sure what vehicle your putting the engine into but because the windsor block has a narrower taller V the extractors dont fit through the original gearbox cross member so we had to have a custom one made and bash in a little of the bottom pan to get it to fit (it was bitch to get the extractors on) hope that helps good luck.

p.s. ive got a comp cams solid roller cam for sale to suit a 351W 248/254 duration @ 50 670though lift with 1.73 rocker with matching springs, collets, and retainers.
XD408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 18:26   #6 (permalink)

thanks for the help, I would love to get a set of CHI's but the budget simply wont allow for it, in the long run I will use World heads as they are(will) be made to suit the block I am using as it has 6 bolts per cyclinder, until world release those heads I will be using the clevo heads. Manifold will be a custom made alloy one so thats all gonna fit nice, I am using an electric water pump so no thermostat is required. I will not be keen to drill into the block, hopefully the heads can be drilled instead and leave the block alone. The engine builder who is assembling the short block is going to use the felpro SS o-ring gaskets don't know what style but I'll sort that out with him soon enough.

One more question, with .550 lift on a 114LSA will the valve reliefs need to ba any bigger than std clevo sizes???
ltd351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech