Clevo with rebuilt C4 trans - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2005, 13:19   #1 (permalink)

Clevo with rebuilt C4 trans

Just a couple of questions regarding my new C4/10 with stage 3 shift kit and manual valve body, 3200 stallie.

When crusing around is it OK to come to a stop in drive and idle at the lights or should you change to 1st before coming to a stop? I imagine idling in drive is stalling the convertor unnescessarily?

Is it best to use the rad trans oil cooler with a aircooled one aswell?

How far in should the drive line yoke push in to the trans? I have a 20-25mm gap.

What diameter driveshaft are you using? Got a 2.75" one to fit using a combo uni to 9" yoke, they say 2.75/52"cl is only good to 4700rpm, I'm aiming for 110mph ET with 3.5 gears will this get me there? Had heaps for grief with custom made up shafts for the FMX dont want that hassle again, this one runs smoooth as!
northiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2005, 15:39   #2 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Re: Clevo with rebuilt C4 trans

Quote:
Originally Posted by northiam
Just a couple of questions regarding my new C4/10 with stage 3 shift kit and manual valve body, 3200 stallie.

When crusing around is it OK to come to a stop in drive and idle at the lights or should you change to 1st before coming to a stop? I imagine idling in drive is stalling the convertor unnescessarily?
Perfectly fine as long as you don't take off in drive.

Quote:
Is it best to use the rad trans oil cooler with a aircooled one aswell?
Best not to use the radiator as the coolant in the engine can also heat up (over heat) your trans.

Quote:
How far in should the drive line yoke push in to the trans? I have a 20-25mm gap.
I've been told 1" (25mm ->35mm) is okay. Remember when you hit a bump the tailshaft yoke moves toward the trans. If it goes too far. You can hurt the trans.

Quote:
What diameter driveshaft are you using? Got a 2.75" one to fit using a combo uni to 9" yoke, they say 2.75/52"cl is only good to 4700rpm, I'm aiming for 110mph ET with 3.5 gears will this get me there? Had heaps for grief with custom made up shafts for the FMX dont want that hassle again, this one runs smoooth as!
A stock 6cyl/302 driveshaft is fine in most applications. My times were all run with one. Due to my recent conversion, I'll be now running a 4 1/2" tubed aftermarket tailshaft as it made my conversion easier on the wallet. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! See how you go with times. I think you'll be closer to 100mph than 110mph.

Brenden
Old 02-24-2005, 03:45   #3 (permalink)

A stock 6cyl/302 driveshaft is fine in most applications. My times were all run with one. Due to my recent conversion, I'll be now running a 4 1/2" tubed aftermarket tailshaft as it made my conversion easier on the wallet. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! See how you go with times. I think you'll be closer to 100mph than 110mph.

Brenden[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your advice.
I was running 104mph stuck in 2nd gear
Old 02-24-2005, 04:17   #4 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Why was it stuck in 2nd?
Old 02-24-2005, 14:09   #5 (permalink)

My FMX wouldnt change into 3rd causing me to over rev in 2nd, it would only change if i backed off the gas for a few seconds then change just as i was over the line! So im hoping for flat 13s high 12s (13.3 ET)
Old 02-24-2005, 14:28   #6 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by northiam
My FMX wouldnt change into 3rd causing me to over rev in 2nd, it would only change if i backed off the gas for a few seconds then change just as i was over the line! So im hoping for flat 13s high 12s (13.3 ET)
ah yup. Now I remember. A trans that may not be so healthy? Have you had it checked out at a trans shop? You'll probably find the 2->3rd gear change will slow your time a tad but not that much. As top gears generally not running big line pressure so the shift is slower than 1->2nd.

Brenden
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech