Clevo Stroker 380.... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2005, 05:30   #1 (permalink)
Alf

Clevo Stroker 380....

Hi all,

Just on here for constructive criticism Just pulled down my '51 to discover main bearings shot, anyways dropped gear down local machine shop. Bloke quoted me round $1000- $1200 to basically provide me with a replacement crank offset grind, hemi rods and pistons to match and to balance the entire rotating assembly. I have done a search on the internet to try and find out more info on this combo to no avail. The car is an '82 XE falcon 'S' with C4 auto and 3.50:1 minispooled rear end.
I'm trying to ascertain as to whether people feel this is a good combo and worth it or whether I should stick to my original plan and keep stock grind.

Also with this i'd be running stock o/c 2v heads with double valve springs and 4v valves, no port work as later contemplaiting changing to c/c 2v jobs when money is avail. Any suggestions on a cam spec.. have been looking at a lunati hydralic .562/.588. 2300-6300.

Any helpful suggestions greatfully accepted, thanks in advance
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2005, 06:45   #2 (permalink)
Nitrous Junkie

Re: Clevo Stroker 380....

Heya, haven't heard of the hemi rod combo but a friend of mine has the same cubes from a 5.7" Chev rod and 0.020" o/size 5.7 stroker holden piston... Should work fine if all the machining is up to scratch :)

Stick with the o/chamber heads the comp with closed chambers and the 3.75" stroke is waay too high for any streetable fuel. Also when you get around to porting the open chamber generally gives better results. Also no need for 4V valves, if the heads aren't already done get 4V intakes machined down to a 2.10" and have the seats cut to suit.

That cam will be ok for a streeter though Cam Dynamics do the exact same grind and its a lots cheaper. With a stroker the powerband will be lower by approx 300rpm.
http://www.cranecams.com.au/caminfo/fordcl7082.htm
The last hydraulic on the list. I have that in my 351 and its pretty good on the street, though economy isn't a strong point.. With open chamber 2V heads, approx 9.2:1 comp a funnelweb and 750 silver claw that made 338rwhp.
DJS351XD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 02:13   #3 (permalink)

Sounds extremely cheap for a stroker combo.does the kit use cast pistons ?Machining the crank alone is worth about 600 bucks so how he does it for that is unbelievable.Just make sure this guy has a good reputation.Who is he anyway?
russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 05:39   #4 (permalink)
Alf

Hi all,

Cheers djs351xd for your advice on the cam's i'll look into it, as for who is doing it. The reason it's cheap is because i'm doing a deal with some other components in exchange basis...Bob Campbell's Racing engines is doing my work, here's hoping he's got a good rep. He says he's built a fair few of these over the years and hasn't had one break yet. I think you guys think i've stitched up a reasonably good deal so i'm pretty confident that i'm gonna go ahead with this setup and see what happens, heck it's only money Would anyone be kind enough to put all these spec's into a virtual dyno program to see roughly what power i'm to expect using cam spec's above. Thanks gratly appreciated
Old 03-03-2005, 05:48   #5 (permalink)
351 XE on LPG

Stick with Bob and stay clear of Chris !!!!
Rhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 06:31   #6 (permalink)
PHAT COUPES

I have just had my 393 stroker with alloy heads built at bob cambells and I have got to say he is great to deal with .I found unlike most other builders with the same experience and back ground he is easy to talk to about what you want and how you want it .
I was such a pain in the butt about what I wanted even down to wanting stainless 12 point bolts used for everything outside the engine and it was done .There were parts that fitted that weren't quite right he mechined them to fit 100% .Nothing was to much hassel for him .
As you can see he did the right thing by me and now I will talk him up all day .I think chris would be as good as bob but chris has gone towards parts and now someone else does the builds were bob does only build and mechining

PS to check out his work I have a theard in here 393 stroker in bay
tony xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 06:37   #7 (permalink)

Sounds like a good combo, similiar to mine except I'm using Chev rods. That price is very cheap. I spent nearly $1k on the crank alone with all the balancing it needed.

Why not go for a mechanical flat tappet cam instead? Something around the Crane F246 grind would work well..
Old 03-03-2005, 07:25   #8 (permalink)
Alf

hi all..
Thanks for your comments... To hear Bob is great to deal with confirms my suspisions anyway... A friend dealt with him a while back and said he was fantastic, however, time can change some people. Not in this case to his credit by the sounds of things. I agree Tony, he is extremely pleasant to deal with. I'm trying to stick to a hydraulic for now as finances are not huge at the moment. Maybe when the finances are a bit healthier and after i've convinced the other half that I "need" them after she's been for a ride in the revamped ol' girl. Lookin like i'm definitely gonna go the stroker option. can't wait..... any of you guys have further opinion on cam spec's i've stated. I think it'll make it pretty toey if i'm not wrong?
thanks again....
Old 03-03-2005, 16:47   #9 (permalink)

I have ahd bob to a couple of 2ltr motors, yeah not a problem there, calls a spade a spade.

My old man has done a heap of stuff through bob over the years and still goes back. Stick with him, he knows his stuff.
Old 03-03-2005, 16:53   #10 (permalink)
351 XE on LPG

I've had 2 bad experiences with Chris Mills and his band of amateur wrenches and wouldn't recommend them to anybody. Chris may have build some incredible motors in the past, but now he just hides away in the office and has no quality control on what is going out the door with his name on it. THEY SUCK !

Do your research because I know there are a lot of other disgruntled customers out there besides me.

I have yet to hear a bad word about Bob. I've only spoken to him in person a couple of times and am impressed with his customer skills. Though he may be very busy, he always finds time to lend an ear. I wish I had of known what I know now and saved myself over six thousand dollars and months of frustrated headaches, only to end up with something I couldn’t wait to sell.

What a disappointment. The next two motors I designed and did myself, and I haven’t looked back.
Rhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech