clevo tap tap tap noise, checked lifter's - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2006, 21:35   #1 (permalink)

clevo tap tap tap noise, checked lifter's

Just thaught I'd run this by a few people and get some opinions . Engine is a freshly rebuilt clevo ( about 2000km's) solid roller cam . My father was driving the car came to a set of lights all of a sudden tap tap tap tap sounded like a rocker to me . We removed valve cover's sure enough for some reason one of the roller rocker's on the passanger side was very loose . We fixed that up and re-set the lash on all the rocker's while we where there put it all back together fired it up and it still doesn't sound right certainly not as bad as before but still not right .

Seems to be missing now also and the tap tap tap sound rises with the rev's only thing I can see is that the bridge part of the rocker's seem to come really really close to the top of the valve spring retainer's maybe they are touching ?. Any other idea's?.

cheers
7HEAVN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2006, 00:28   #2 (permalink)

Re: clevo tap tap tap noise, checked lifter's

7 HEAVIN when the engine was rebuilt recently were the roller lifters replaced? From experience it does not pay to run them for any longer than 2years or 2000k, whichever comes first, and then u are on borrowed time especially if the rocker gear is not backed off when the car is not in use, valve springs will need checking and replacing/ shimming regularly as well of course. Hopefully i am wrong, but a lifter wheel bearing may have failed and smoked a camshaft lobe causing the tap,tap noise. Mechanical rollers are great in street cars but if u dont keep up with the maintenance they will bite u in the bum everytime.

rod.
42 PHASE3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 00:35   #3 (permalink)

Yeh the cam and lifter's where brand new the motor is about 8 or 9 months old now and has done alittle over 2000km's .
7HEAVN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 01:41   #4 (permalink)

At this stage I would be inclined to go along with what 42 phase 3 had to offer.Sounds like a valvetrain failure and roller lifters do shit themselves if the lash is left too loose for too long.Pull the manifold off ,back off the rockers and check the rollers.That would be my first port of call.
russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 16:45   #5 (permalink)
under thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7HEAVN
Seems to be missing now also and the tap tap tap sound rises with the rev's only thing I can see is that the bridge part of the rocker's seem to come really really close to the top of the valve spring retainer's maybe they are touching ?. Any other idea's?.

cheers
If I were you I wouldnt start it again until you find the problem! If its a collapsed lifter(most likely) its an expensive repair.

The increased lash that fast tells me something broke and if its the roller wheel kiss your cam byebye as whats left of the lifter will chew it in half and all that hardened steel shavings can do some damage.

Lift your intake and pull the offending lifter pair and let us know your findings and I hope im wrong but I agree with 42 PHASE3!!

What brand lifters are you using?
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech