Ford Forums banner

Clevo wear

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Great White 
#1 ·
I am currently rebuilding one of my clevos (you can never have too many!) and wanted to know what sort or wear in these engines is common ('74 build date)- especially in the bores. I believe the motor has never been rebuilt before, hence has all standard internals. measuring the bores revealed they were about 20 thou away from what my ford manual says they should be - is this normal wear? It seams like alot for a motor that was still running happily and not blowing smoke. There is also alot of taper and out of round. I can't believe how far out of whack everything is..

and the ring gaps were about 50 thou, I thought 10 - 20 was right.

One other little thing, does anyone know what the numbers stamped in the piston crown and on the bottom of the block (beside the bore) mean? I assume they were the size of piston they whacked in at the ford factory.

all info appreciated !

#2 ·
Some blocks I have seen have been out of spec and not hurt performance in a big way(stock), But for any performance type stuff you need quality machine work.
One thing I have seen I Clevelands is porosity in the bores, If its bad, you can throw it out(or get it re sleeved).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.