Clevo went well at the drags - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2005, 16:13   #1 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Clevo went well at the drags

Drove there, raced and drove home. As per usual.

We found a problem. The 5200 convertor was built for a 400 with a supercharger. It's too tight for my car to stall it up. I had to use the transbake. On the transbrake the max stall I could get was 3200-3300rpm. I believe my car needs a minimum stall of 4500rpm as thats where it's max torque is roughly.

On the transbrake it was doing consistant 12.2's. The best mph was 115.75mph. Off the transbrake it wouldn't stall beyond 2800rpm and ran a 12.6.

Due to the convertor pulling the engine down on launch, the engine fueled up and was trying to stall. Just saved it on my 1st pass!

60's ranged from 1.8->1.9. Car tracked dead straight while @ 12psi. On the last two pass's we didn't check tyre pressure and I got a wobble. Checked at the end of the night @ 14psi.

I'll have to speak to TCE and see where I can go from here. I need to stop it bogging on launch, other than that I'm pleased with the result. A new convertor should see it back in the 11's or more and out of the hole. I knew after the 2nd pass it was massively understalled.

[edit] On a side note on the 2nd pass the rear vision mirror came off the windscreen and ended up in the back seat. It was amusing

Brenden
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2005, 16:34   #2 (permalink)
The Deputy Dogg.

Re: Clevo went well at the drags

Teething issues only, it will go faster, bogging down off the line was ok, it gave the SS Commies the headstart they needed before you ran them down :)
Old 06-03-2005, 16:55   #3 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

Sounds like the low 11's are a bee's dick away, good luck sorting these relatively minor problems! Don't spose you have a video of one of your runs Brenx?
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 17:03   #4 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

I think Falcon coupe has some vid's but no webspace
Old 06-03-2005, 18:11   #5 (permalink)

Sounds reasonable - it is only in need of more stall to bring the times down further.

When I look at a cars potential I go with the mph as the indicator. So you should end up in the mid 11's once it's all sorted.

It's interesting to note that the recent mods you did that got you over 300RWKW were only worth 2.2mph. So affirms my theory that at the end of the day to go a whole lot faster (at the drags) - like increasing 10mph or more - you need much more power than most people would possibly understand.

Brenden, you have the most sorted flat tappet clevo on FF's. So it's still a great achievement. Well done.
Old 06-03-2005, 18:26   #6 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

I think with the convertor done, I'll see more mph. The 60's were killing it and so was the 1st -> top gear change (flooding due to the stall). It was increasing through out the night as I was getting used to the car. 1st few pass's I was crossing the line @ 6000rpm. Next few crossed @ 6100-6200. If I can get it crossing the line @ 6500rpm? Thats 120-122mph. I think it's got it in it too.

With this convertors the cars this predictable. It goes like this -:

1) transbrake on
2) foot flat stalled @ 3200-3300rpm
3) transbrake off
4) flood -> almost stall
5) back off
6) pick up again and get back on it
7) change to top
8) eat your cut lunch and ride it to the end
9) hope to god you can stop at the end

[edit]It's not bad for 2" lowered suspension and standard road shocks.

Brenden
Old 06-03-2005, 18:42   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKEXD

It's interesting to note that the recent mods you did that got you over 300RWKW were only worth 2.2mph. So affirms my theory that at the end of the day to go a whole lot faster (at the drags) - like increasing 10mph or more - you need much more power than most people would possibly understand.
The XY i posted about a few weeks ago that ran 11.70 at 117mp/h finally had his car dynoed last weekend. It makes 350rwhp (261rwkw).
This was with F246, 3500 stall, 3.9 gears and weiand manifold.

brenx, i think i will have the same problem with mine only stalling to 3000-3200, but hopefully get a bit of wheel spin off the line to get it pulling in the 4000's rpm strait away. Time will tell.
Your mph seems to be getting up there, and when that propper stall gets in there, it should wake things up heaps
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 18:50   #8 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

You won't spin on slicks. You'll have the same issue. I was so fustrated I was tempted to run on my street tyres and put up with wheelspin to prevent bog down.

Those figures are about right with a F246. Hallam performance sees about 255rwkw out of them. Lee and my cars are the only freaks making more than they should going by cam spec
Old 06-03-2005, 19:03   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
You won't spin on slicks. You'll have the same issue. I was so fustrated I was tempted to run on my street tyres and put up with wheelspin to prevent bog down.

:
I'll try and get a happy medium with slick pressure. Surely the higher pressure you go, in the end there will be some slip? I only run 8.5 inch slicks too.
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 19:08   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdclevo
The XY i posted about a few weeks ago that ran 11.70 at 117mp/h finally had his car dynoed last weekend. It makes 350rwhp (261rwkw).
This was with F246, 3500 stall, 3.9 gears and weiand manifold.

brenx, i think i will have the same problem with mine only stalling to 3000-3200, but hopefully get a bit of wheel spin off the line to get it pulling in the 4000's rpm strait away. Time will tell.
Your mph seems to be getting up there, and when that propper stall gets in there, it should wake things up heaps
The times look spot on to the dyno figures for the XY.Xd clevo you shouldn't have any problems on slicks,3000 rpm is plenty to punch it out of the hole.I don't use much stall with mine due to the shit tyres I ran on.I should have some MT Drag Radials soon & my 60ft's should come down hopefully (I will slick up once I have achieved what I want)!
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech