Clutch type! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2005, 00:24   #1 (permalink)

Clutch type!

This should probably be in the transmission section but I'm just wondering what type of clutch setups you guys are running behind your clevos.Reason being I had a custom made clutch made to suit my combination(around 500hp) and driving style(foot permanently planted on the floor and rear tyres in a constant state of wheelspin)and after only about 1000k's it's showing signs of weekness.I was expecting to get at least 5000k's out of it.Interested to hear other peoples opinion on their clutch setups and any reliability issues you may have encountered.My gut feel tells me I should have bought an off the shelf kit but at the time it seemed like a good idea to get a custom.Cheers.
george 351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2005, 00:38   #2 (permalink)

Re: Clutch type!

i'm running a billet steel flywheel wif and xtreme cushion button clutch and pressure plate to suit, the description on the web site is dcb heavy duty cluch kit u can read up on it.
www.xtremeclutch.com.au
they'll hav something for ur application. i'll just let u know my clutch grips great and shudders slightly on take up mine is a daily driver and i can put up wif the shudders it's only slight
ziggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 00:45   #3 (permalink)

I don't think a custom clutch is a bad way to go - as long as you get what you ask for. Are you running an organic or metallic disc? I don't think an organic will last very long behind a 500hp donk. They can get hammered quite quickly when slipping/dumping the clutch a little on hi-rpm launches. Also, if running a metallic disc (brass button or sintered iron) you'll need a serious flywheel and pressure plate to cope - they can act as angle grinders on normal flywheels etc.

I'm running an 11" steel billet flywheel and an 11" RAM long lever style pressure plate with a heavy duty organic disc with streetable marcel carrier (springs in hub). Total performace discs sometimes do away with the springs. They just reduce chatter on the takeup when used on the street.

I had the pressure plate resprung a few years back to keep the clamping force up, but after a little flogging and burnout session it heats up and will occasionally slip - which has me worried for my next combo with slicks. May have to upgrade to a beefier/high friction disc.

http://www.ramclutches.com/

RAM lever plate on the left.

Old 06-26-2005, 00:47   #4 (permalink)
The Deputy Dogg.

Look Here :

Clutches and Flywheels

This clutch handles 6500rpm launches with no fade, it still has slip for road driving and is quite light.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:12   #5 (permalink)

I'm not sure of the exact makeup of the clutch but I can say it's quite light on the foot,very smooth and not real big on bite.I've never bothered to do much homework on clutches but what I do know is that I need something that can cope with alot of abuse.Mines not a daily driver so a heavy clutch doesn't really bother me.I would rather have reliability than comfort.It just annoys me when you spend the dollars and don't get what you expected.What sort of dollars should I be looking at for the clutches mentioned in above posts?Flywheel is not a problem as I have that sorted already.

Thanks for the info.
george 351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 01:24   #6 (permalink)

The Xtreme clutch package's are about $700 (pressure plate & disc).

RAM pressure plate and sintered iron disc (as in above Xtreme package) is US$420. So thats around AU$550 + p/h.

So on average you're looking at around $6-700 for a rock solid street/strip setup (metallic disc).
Old 06-26-2005, 01:29   #7 (permalink)
The Deputy Dogg.

Mine was around $700 including flywheel.
Old 06-26-2005, 16:59   #8 (permalink)

mine was $900 for friction plate, pressure plate, flywheel, throwout bearing and spigot bearing, only use genuine toploader spigots if u run a toploader i've 2 of my mates almost cry for not doing so
Old 06-26-2005, 17:57   #9 (permalink)

A Clutch from a F100 are meant to be good arent they. By memory i think you have to have the flywheel redrilled.
351ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 04:49   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351ford
A Clutch from a F100 are meant to be good arent they. By memory i think you have to have the flywheel redrilled.
thats rite but y would u just get a billet steel 1 thats shatter proof
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech