cold mornings - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2003, 07:28   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs down cold mornings

winter has kicked in! :(

just a quick question, i have a XC Falcon 302 with a mustang 4 barrel carby..anyway, when i start it up in the morning, the carby backfires and sometimes stalls.
this also occurs when im idling and then start to drive and put my foot down..it backfires and then stalls.
i dont have a choke.

is there anyway in fixing this?
thanks guys
SXC_302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2003, 16:49   #2 (permalink)
Ford Member

Re: cold mornings

check if any intake hose's are split or have come off. check you timing, change your points in the distributor, as the XC 302's have points and 351 have electronic[no points] Your carby should have automatic choke, needs looking at and adjusting.
johnny r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 19:45   #3 (permalink)

Not sure what a mustang 4 barrel carb is but I have 2 XC cleveland powered cars. One has had the Carter carb re-built and the other hasn't. The good one works perfectly (cold mornings) and the other one does exactly what your car does. I maybe wrong, but I beleive the carby needs overhauling and the auto choke neeeds work. I think that it is the auto choke that is the main problem.

As johnny said, also check your points. BTW, if your car is an update XC, post March '78, your 302 will have electronic ignition as standard.
paull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 20:34   #4 (permalink)

1976 model
SXC_302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 20:37   #5 (permalink)
Catching Bugs

ah just live with it u will get use to it after i while i do
xbwgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 23:34   #6 (permalink)
Slurry Boostin

check the others, but maybe mixtures.
TTNOS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 00:37   #7 (permalink)

I have the same problem, i have got used to it, thats the problem with not having a choke. I just warm my car properly before driving.
mutlley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 04:54   #8 (permalink)

Making sure the choke works correctly helps, also if you still have the standard aircleaner on refit the hot air snorkel from the exhaust manifold as that is what its there for. When the engine warms up the valve opens and lets the engine draw cold air through the end of the snorkel instead of warm air from the manifold.
Tote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 08:00   #9 (permalink)
###AND EDGT DRIVER###

think she needs a kit thought it, if the mustang carbys are any like factory falcon ones buy a holley
had a 750 d/p on the xd started fine had no choke at all and running a shaker lots of cold air intake.
xf351gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 19:03   #10 (permalink)

Bloke @ work here maybe had the same problem but in a holden 6 motor. He reckons that his car use 2 run like s#^%*t on cold mornings, because the air temp was so cold, it was causing condensation in the manifold, and he could see it in there (dunno about a v8 manifold though). He reckoned that once he had the car going for a bit, he’d turn it off and then restart it, and he found that it would be smooth as. How he got around this problem was to make a ‘hotbox’ out of aluminium and build it around his extractors and run a hose from the top of the box 2 his air filter. This made the air that was going into the carby warm. If you get real tecky you could then make a valve in your air filter (depending on what filter you have of course) and hook it up to a thermostat so you can have a winter/summer job. He found out about this from some dude, who said that old fords (70’s models) had the same problem…….. Dunno man, I’ve never had it myself, I’m only going off what he said.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech