confused! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2005, 10:01   #1 (permalink)
Canadian Torino

confused!

Can you mates describe to me in detail how long ford made your cars and the kind of models available? I see 1978 Fairlanes and stuff.... How long was the Cleveland made for!?

I'm soooo confused.

I just know here in Canada, the last of the great Torinos was (IMO) the 72, after that, the V8 engines produced no more than what stock 4 cylinders make today.

THANKS!

351 Cobra Jet 4V Ram Air
72torino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2005, 12:23   #2 (permalink)

Re: confused!

Clevelands were made in Australia from 1970-71 to 1982. The blocks and heads including most parts were cast at the ford foundary in Geelong near Melbourne and I believe in Brisbane too?
Only 2V heads and manifolds were produced. BTW The aussie blocks are said to be better than the yank ones.
northiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 12:45   #3 (permalink)
Canadian Torino

Quote:
Originally Posted by northiam
...Only 2V heads and manifolds were produced. BTW The aussie blocks are said to be better than the yank ones.
Thanks northiam.

But.... that can't better than my 4V head and 4V manifolds

Also, I'm curious about the cars that they were put in to, like the falcon, or fairlane or the XB etc.

Can anyone gimme pics and or links!??

351 Cobra Jet 4V Ram Air
Old 01-26-2005, 12:45   #4 (permalink)
'77 XC Wagon in progress

Northiam's told you how long we've had Clevos for above. As for models, the Clevo was only ever fitted as stock to Falcons and their derivatives in Australian cars. So that means Fairlanes, LTDs, utes, etc...

Fairlanes have been going here since... well, a long time - the ZA was introduced in 1967. They're still around now; long-wheelbase Falcons with a few more luxuries. Ditto the LTDs, although they started in 1973, I think.

Last time we had new Falcons and Fairlanes with Clevos under the bonnet was 1982, with the XE Falcon, ZJ Fairlane/FC LTD. A good little reference site with all the Australian Falcon models can be found here: http://www.geocities.com/falconfacts/
Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 16:09   #5 (permalink)

Confused? I'm confused by your grammer!
AU Series 1 I6 Futura, 17" XR Series III Rims, Kings superlow springs and Bilstien shocks, K-MAC adjustable caber kit, xr8 snorkle, BMC Filter, EF a/box lid, custom storm water pipeing, pacemakers, h/flow cat, 2 1/2" zorst mandrel bent, dyno'd @ 117.2kwrw b4 bmc
ir33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 16:18   #6 (permalink)
Canadian Torino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeek
Northiam's told you how long we've had Clevos for above. As for models, the Clevo was only ever fitted as stock to Falcons and their derivatives in Australian cars. So that means Fairlanes, LTDs, utes, etc...

Fairlanes have been going here since... well, a long time - the ZA was introduced in 1967. They're still around now; long-wheelbase Falcons with a few more luxuries. Ditto the LTDs, although they started in 1973, I think.

Last time we had new Falcons and Fairlanes with Clevos under the bonnet was 1982, with the XE Falcon, ZJ Fairlane/FC LTD. A good little reference site with all the Australian Falcon models can be found here: http://www.geocities.com/falconfacts/
Thanks! Thats all I needed to know.

And, ir33t, I'm confused by your name!

351 Cobra Jet 4V Ram Air
Old 01-26-2005, 20:48   #7 (permalink)

The 351C was built in the US from 1970~1974. They landed mostly in Mustangs and big cars - Fairlane, Torino, LTD, Mercury stuff, wagons, etc. I think the only Falcon here that might have had a 351C from the factory was the 70 1/2, which is really a re-badged Torino. (The US Falcon morfed into the Maverick in 1970)

There may be "XE" aussi blocks that contain extra beef, but most of the "pillow blocks" as they are called were cast for NASCAR (oops - then it was Grand National) and rejected by the US factory due to core shift problems. I would imagine that Ford refused to ship what had been cast down under and those left went into passenger cars in Australia. What was left here in the US got traded around like old girl friends. If you latch on to one, the first dime you spend is for a sonic check of the bores. There was one on eBay recently.
Falcon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 21:16   #8 (permalink)
Slurry Boostin

Clevelands were still available readily up to 1984 in mainly 351 form.

XE model Falcons, Fairmonts, Fairmont Ghias were optionable with clevo's and the last of the clevo 'muscle cars', the 'ESP' were available with both clevo's and crossflow 6's.

But for a small time after, clevo's were still fitted to Ambulances (F-Series), Fairlane's, LTD's, etc.

I have seen a factory fitted stock F-150 with a 351C dated 3 month 1985.

There are many different clevo blocks aussie made too. many myths surround this topic.

But most of these 'special blocks' were fitted in the last few years of clevo fitment, so XE's etc from the 1982 to 1984ish era are riddled with 'pillow', 'nascar', 'xe', and other types of blocks.

Hope this helps some

Testing the memory, but I'll try and remember the order from first clevo car to last,
XW, XY, XA, XB, XC, XD, XE and all their falcon derivatives, sedans, coupes, wagons, panel vans, utes, as well as fairlanes, LTD's, marquis', etc, etc, etc
VS 215i Senator *For Sale*
TTNOS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 23:31   #9 (permalink)

I have a pillow block 302C (destroked 351) in My 82 XE ESP Fairmont. We did actually have factory fitted 4V Clevos BTW 72 Torino, but maybe they werent cast here??? not sure on that part.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:35   #10 (permalink)

I'm pretty sure all 4V heads and manifolds were only cast in the states, 4V engines fitted to some falcon GT,s were fully imported engines.
The 2V closed chamber heads were only produced in Aust for the 302 clevo not available in the states.
northiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech