Connecting heater hoses (Cleveland) - help please! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2004, 16:30   #1 (permalink)
'77 XC Wagon in progress

Connecting heater hoses (Cleveland) - help please!

Hello all

Just got myself a ZH and the heater hoses aren't hooked up.

There are two pipe connections in the firewall that I can see - two on the passenger side and two towards the middle. Have a look at the pic of my engine bay, URL below.

On the passenger side, there are two hoses exiting the firewall - one is "connected" to a hose running from the rad by electrical tape and a piece of cloth stuffed inside it (!), and the other just sits out of the way and rests just in front of the horn, as you can see. Are these the A/C hoses? If so, I'll leave them as they are because I'm not bothered about hooking any A/C up right now.

The ones in the middle that you can't see because the air cleaner is the way are just open (no hoses at all), and I *think* these are the connections for the heater hoses. Is that right?

If so, where do I hook the other end of the hoses to? I'll obviously need to flush the cooling system when done, but my workshop book tells me how to do that. It's just not clear which hoses are which, and where they should be going.

Hope you can help!

Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2004, 18:58   #2 (permalink)

Re: Connecting heater hoses (Cleveland) - help please!

The ones in the middle are heater hoses, yes.
Get a 5/8 ich heater hose and connect them to the engine.One from the water pump, the other is above the dipstick hole.
These may have been blocked off with a brass plug, or hopefully they are blocked with a rubber stop hose end.
TICK4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 19:00   #3 (permalink)

The ones wrapped up are the a/c lines.
Old 06-20-2004, 19:00   #4 (permalink)

Your correct, the hoses on the right are A/C. Don't own a Fairlane but i'm assuming the ones behind the air filter are heater lines. One goes to a tube coming out of the block, near the water pump. This tube is usually rusted away and might need replacing. The other line goes to a tube coming out of the waterpump. Both tubes are close together.
wartide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 19:03   #5 (permalink)
'77 XC Wagon in progress

Guys - thanks! Does it matter which hose goes where? For example, should the one from the water pump go into the pipe on the driver's side of the firewall, etc?
Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 19:19   #6 (permalink)

It is a flow through system, so can go either way.
You are actually supposed to have an intermediate that sits near where your a/c lines come from the box near the firewall. This way you can stop the water going thorugh the heater when not in use, I don't use one, but it is supposed to.
Old 06-21-2004, 06:50   #7 (permalink)
'60 F100 Q-Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeek
Guys - thanks! Does it matter which hose goes where? For example, should the one from the water pump go into the pipe on the driver's side of the firewall, etc?
If the heater hoses are not hooked up, you may want to consider the possibility of a leaking heater core. Perhaps a simple check with some clean water to see if it develops any leaks before plumbing it through to your coolant.

:davis:
davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech