converting xb 302 to straight gas - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2005, 03:22   #1 (permalink)

converting xb 302 to straight gas

gday there
i may be getting myself an XB ute GS 302

And i was wondering
what details can you guys give me on turning this into straight gas

What do i need to be aware of?
how much?
what needs to be replaced?

and most importantly, will there be a change in the note it gives?
chunkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2005, 03:30   #2 (permalink)

Re: converting xb 302 to straight gas

A few pointers here:-
You will need a electronic HE ignition system recurved to suit LPG
Single plane manifolds work better than dual plane
Exhaust headers help but if your running fairly stock cam you dont need them.
Stock cams are OK.
Dont try to raise CR above about 9.5:1.
Impco make good LPG mixers and convertors.
You should hva "stellite" exhaust valve seats if you expect any valve seat life.
a7M
aussie7mains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 04:19   #3 (permalink)

find out where you can buy it some areas not as gas friendly as people think? if you runout of fuel call a towtruck or a special freind who can downfill a gastank(rare). more tuning depending on system! scary gas backfires you will know it when it happens.
and talk in near future of a min 20cent excise tax and up to 40 cents. take all this into account. and how many kms do you do with it as gas is not half price as you actually burn more gas per km than petrol. still good though but these are facts.
reece1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 14:42   #4 (permalink)
Buff XC

Quote:
Originally Posted by reece1
and talk in near future of a min 20cent excise tax and up to 40 cents. take all this into account. and how many kms do you do with it as gas is not half price as you actually burn more gas per km than petrol. still good though but these are facts.
you got the proof to backup your claims about excise tax on LPG? because what you say is not fact! It's BS.

An LPG excise will be introduced, but it is more like a 12c capped excise, which will be introduced on an incremental basis. I'll try and find the link if you doubt this.....

Engine note will be smoother and less crackly when compared directly to petrol, although the need to modify the timing between the two fuels does effect this somewhat.
XC Falcon Sedan, monza red/jet black, 351C, twin 2.25" zorst, T5 V8-spec with CRS bell-housing, AU thermofans, 3.23 LSD diff, dual fuel, rally-pack spec, black/red interior, cruise control, sports seats, 17x8 ROH Drift-R's.
164rwkw - 15.3 @ 92.5
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 05:17   #5 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Pilch]
An LPG excise will be introduced, but it is more like a 12c capped excise, which will be introduced on an incremental basis. I'll try and find the link if you doubt this.....

QUOTE]

Call me a pessimistic prick if you like...but we are talking about beaurocrats here......given time they will see fit to make the excise match petrol....because they are self illuminating pricks
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 05:28   #6 (permalink)

AS for the conversion....
there isn't much info out there (yer i know someone will correct me..and i hope they do)on the web as to manufacturer and componant choices.

My old mans 351 has an Impco 300A converter (too small), a holley 600cfm baseplate an adapater and a 425 horn mixer placed on top and upside down.
Works pretty good, but runs out of gas at higher RPM.
I'd reccomend it.

the biggest issue was bonnet clearance...remove insulation, and we had to shave some of the baseplate and the adapter.

The adapter is available off the shelf.

If you go straight gas, then don't muck with a regular carby, either use something like this, or a straight gas carby.. Sprint gas make some interesting items, like seperate twin throats that look really cool.

Given you have a ute, a dual bottle setup would be desirable...similar to my old mans ute. We have an under tray bottle and an inside tray bottle. Ok the inside bottle is about 80 litres, but theres nothing to say one of the bottles cannot be smaller..as a reserve if you like.

See pic below.

Jas

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1001141.jpg (47.6 KB, 76 views)
Old 12-11-2005, 02:05   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilch
you got the proof to backup your claims about excise tax on LPG? because what you say is not fact! It's BS.

Engine note will be smoother and less crackly when compared directly to petrol, although the need to modify the timing between the two fuels does effect this somewhat.
just trying to give a look into the downside of this product that gas salesmen fail to tell, sorry to be wrong on the excise but is what i heard from a reliable person. true i should have left the fact word out. but we all know what happens to excise. gas is good if you are doing huge kays but if your not it in my opinion its simply not worth the hassle
reece1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 20:13   #8 (permalink)
351 XE on LPG

(thanks to Phildee for this info)

“On 1 July 2011 excise will begin to be introduced on LPG in five increments of 2.5cpl taking it to 12.5cpl by July 2015.”

http://www.fuelwatch.wa.gov.au/misc/dsp_faq.cfm#18
http://www.dpmc.gov.au/publications/...lternative.htm
http://www.sdi.qld.gov.au/dsdweb/v3/...l.cfm?id=12800
Regarding tips for LPG conversions, have a search thru this forum 'cos there's already heaps of useful info recorded.

I just noticed that you are a brand new member, so I’ll help you out with some links, just to get you started.

Welcome aboard Chunkz.

LPG or UNLEADED ????
Lpg
SURVEY - best ET/MPH with LPG and 351 cubes ???
Impco 425 & throttle body on Clevo?
Tuning an Impco 425
Straight Gas 351 C
Gas Research systems
LPG systems for Clevo's

Also, I’ve created a little calculator to help you work out roughly how long it’s going to take you to recover the cost of your gas conversion.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Gas conversion calculator (ver 2).xls (15.0 KB, 15 views)
Rhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 22:08   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilch
And you wont need to warm it up before you drive. No choke but maybe a primer button, nah, V8s don't really need them.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:13   #10 (permalink)

XCGXL,
a primer button...haven't seen one of them for a while.
The true requirement for a primer button actually relates to the distance from the converter to mixer.
the shorter the better....hell i haven't fitted a primer EVER!

Jas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech