cooling help - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2006, 05:00   #1 (permalink)

cooling help

ok on hot days (35plus-goddamed perth weather) i cant keep engine cool,removed thermostat just in case,no difference. running two large thermos side by side in custom shroud, pulling alot of air.but its getting hot even on the freeway.will slowly warm up and keep getiing hotter, and i'll pull her over and let her cool down,generally by pouring a ton of water over the radiator.that will drop it down. if its getting hot on the freeway,where its getting big air flow would this point to the radiator not being big /good enough?is a 3 core in good conditionrecently cleaned with both ends off and given all clear.car is 1970 mustang orig 302w now 351c.
will be trying the au thermos soon as they seem recommended for more suck when at idle but if i'm getting hot at speed does this point to something else?
so i'm thinking i need a bigger (custom? $$?) or falcon radiator or am i missing something? any ideas?
runs fine and cool on days under 30degrees
thanks
scott
mustang70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2006, 18:14   #2 (permalink)

Re: cooling help

If the radiator is ok you could be having a circulation problem. I would be replacing the thermostat with a high flow unit. Make sure it is a cleveland thermostat because they have a plate which blocks off the recirc through the block when there up to temp. If it doesnt get closed off temp keeps rising like you described. Also, make sure your water pump is up to the task and in good condition. I had twin 12" fans on my capri and it only got hot at the lights, on the freeway it was fine. I went to au fans and shroud now it can idle all day on a hot Perth day.

Good luck

Brett
ClevoCapri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 19:48   #3 (permalink)
XW GT

Could be all sorts of problem, may even be an exhaust leeking into your cooling system causing it to heat up more on a hotter day, i have heard that themos dont do as good a job and the steel 6 blade aircon model fitted fans
but others may say other wise,
'77 XC FALCON 500.
'92 EB FAIRMONT
'91 EB FALCON
'76 XB CONTINENTIAL
YES I LIKE MY FORDS TO
DANGERXY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 02:57   #4 (permalink)

Make sure the brass bypass plate is still installed under the thermostat as well.
Regds,
Tote
Tote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 02:58   #5 (permalink)

There are quite a few threads on this subject if you look for them on this site.

Thermostat is cheap/easy replacement. Even with new one fitted, start engine and watch water flow thru radiator. With COLD ENGINE water won't flow but will flow quickly when thermosat opens after 3- 10 minutes (time depends on lot of things). 170 degree thermostat might be good start point.
Like above said ensure it's clevo not windsor.

It shouldn't need thermo fans. Mates live in 35 deg humid weather and don't have overheating problems.
Undo radiator hoses and flush block as well.

Sorry don't have time for better response - best I can do at present.
northey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 05:10   #6 (permalink)

thanks everyone .read the posts on thermostats and will get the dayco one, was running the tridon.had another one in there, but now after reading up on the bypass plate i'm not sure mine is there, do i need the water pump off to block this? water pump on-off a big job or pretty straightforward? can it be blocked just with the thermostat housing off?
Old 03-01-2006, 14:14   #7 (permalink)

The last time I tried to find a new bypass plate I got the last one in stock from GT Ford performance in Melbourne. At the time no one was making a repro but it would be worth looking around. I believe some of the aftermarket water pumps have the bypass port blocked.
Regards,
Tote
Tote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 01:47   #8 (permalink)

there is a bypass plate on eBay $9.99
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 02:31   #9 (permalink)

ok the bypass plate was ther,just never saw it as i wasnt looking for it,got the dayco thermostat,looks to be a better design,fitted it up and so far irs keeping the temp steadier than the high flow tridon ever did,so now to just wait for a stinkin hot day and see how i go
thanks for help everyone
scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech