Cooling Problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2005, 18:49   #1 (permalink)

Cooling Problem

Ok, I have been reading alot and searching every where for some good images on where the T/stat goes. As I am new to the hole do it yourself thing and have just bought my XC 351C. Only one week in and now this. I am sure that the T/stat in stuck closed. So I cgot a new one, but have no idea where the thing goes. But am ready to get the thing in and go go go. I have already flushed the radiator, changed the oil, and filter, cleaned everything down, she looks great just need to put this bloody T/stat in and I am on the road. But one thing I am woundering about, is some of you blokes are saying not to run a T/stat at all, and as I live in darwin was woundering if this is not the way to go. All help would be great. thanks.
Cou78p is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2005, 19:18   #2 (permalink)

Re: Cooling Problem

You have to take the thermostat housing off. It is in there. You know where the radiator hose connects to the motor.
crochunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 19:24   #3 (permalink)

That would be??? The top side before the out take hose right? Becuase it not at the intake hose before the water pump.
Old 08-18-2005, 19:34   #4 (permalink)
82XE 351c

there should be two hoses coming from your radiator.
1 is up the top of the radiator, the other is down the bottom.

The one at the top will run from the left hand side of the rad, facing towards the motors. That hose will go from the rad to a cast 90 degree "housing". If the hose does go to something that is bolted to the engine block with two bolts, its a cleveland.
If the top rad hose goes onto the Intake manifold and straight down, then the motor is a 351 windsor :(

If you have found that it goes to the engine block, remove the top hose, then undo the "thermostat housing", which is the 90 degree opbject the hose was pushed over. Remove that item and you should see a thermo stat just sitting in the slot. A good replacement thermostat is a Dayco DT66A ( I believe that correct ). When you bolt the "thermo housing" back on its a good idea to use a new gasket if the old one is looking not so good. You will also want to use some gasket selant too.
pracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 19:36   #5 (permalink)
82XE 351c

also you say you flushed the cooling system, its a good idea to do this again when the thermostat is removed or when the motor is hot so the thermostat is open, this allows you to flush out the dirt in the motors cooling system as well as the radiator.
when you flushed it before, the thermostat would have been closed, blocking any motor flushing...
pracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 19:44   #6 (permalink)

Dude you are the man, Just what I needed. All the detail is just what I can see. Carnt wait to get home and get stuck in. Might just go stick the rest of the day instead. Sounds like a 10 minute job. Then open road, no speed limit and the weekend.
Old 08-18-2005, 19:46   #7 (permalink)
old B - new B

it`s best to always use the thermostat as this will slow the flow of water , keeping it in the radiator long enough to be cooled by the airflow.

if your XC has the original thermostat housing it will be alloy and my need changing as well if its coroded.
351cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 01:39   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351cid
it`s best to always use the thermostat as this will slow the flow of water , keeping it in the radiator long enough to be cooled by the airflow.

if your XC has the original thermostat housing it will be alloy and my need changing as well if its coroded.
I find mine runs cooler with a standard flow 77c than the same temp in the high flow range!
northiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 02:36   #9 (permalink)

Hi There,
Welcome to owning a Cleveland!
A little tip i learnt many years ago is to test your new thermostat!

Boil the kettle, fill a mug with boiled water and drop your new thermostat in and watch for it to open.

It should only take 10-20secs to fully open. If it doesn't, take it back. I have bought one that failed to open.

For two minutes of work it can save you a BIG headache out on the road.

Cheers
gus351
gus351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 03:01   #10 (permalink)

Make sure you scrape all the old gaskit off the block and thermostat housing before refitting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech