Ford Forums banner

cost of reco ect.

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  travis_ham 
#1 ·
hi,
i should shortly have about 4500 and i was wondering, will that be enough to get my 302 roco'd(for gas), get it put on gas(GRA twin carb/twin conv + tank lines ect) and get a twin 2 1/2 inch exhauset system including extractors. it would also be goot if it was enough for a trans(c10(c4) auto) reco as well.

what do you guys think?

#2 ·
i had my 351 recoed about a year ago. all machining, ACL kit included all bearings, 20" over pistons and rings, welsh plugs, cam dynamics camshaft, valve seats done for ulp, new valves etc, cost $2800.
pulling the engine out and installation i did myself.
don't forget to allow an extra couple of hundred for oil, filters, tranny fluid, hoses, spark plugs and leads, radiator clean or recore and degreaser to clean up the mess.
hope this helps.

#5 ·
Twin exhaust is going to cost you about a grand, minimum. IF you use new parts. I got mine done, using secondhand bits for $500 all in of which $350 was fitting, bolts, gaskets and other bits and bobs. You might get in under $4500 if you use secondhand exhaust parts and gas fittings, otherwise you'll be pushing it.

#6 ·
i know a gra twin setup would be overkill for a stock 302... but i have big plans for this car(as in different engine, and hopefully high 11 sec 1/4's) so i figure i should get the good stuff now and then i wont need to rebuy later on.

as for the exhaust... what would everyone sujest in the way of heders? 4-1's or tri y's?

#8 ·
Just doing up my 351 pulled it out spent about $900 on parts from MotorImprovements In St Kilda. Mild cam, all plugs, gasketKit, plugs, bearings main and conrod and some other shit like springs and lifters. $730 on an FMX with few improvements... Pacemakers or Lukey twins about $650 just extractors (didnt buy them yet) New Holley 750 $600 9" something decent is over a gran is what i was told, but i dont need one.....
Save up dude or do it in stages, but i prefer to get it done and then drive it, but unfortunately $$$ dont grow on my frontyard so i have to Wait...

#9 ·
ok guys... possible change of plans... get the engine reco'd and possibly a cam and carby to run on unleaded, get the tranny reco'd and possibly improved, headers and exhaust and if enough is left a disk brake 9 in.

what do you all think bout this?(remember budget right now is around 4500)

#10 ·
travis_ham said:
ok guys... possible change of plans... get the engine reco'd and possibly a cam and carby to run on unleaded, get the tranny reco'd and possibly improved, headers and exhaust and if enough is left a disk brake 9 in.

what do you all think bout this?(remember budget right now is around 4500)
i doubt you'll have enough left for the diff. converting the heads now is a good idea if you're going to run gas later.
if you're going to lower your car i wouldn't run 4-1's due to ground clearance probs. my xb gt is lowered 40mm at the front and my pacemakers sit 80mm from the floor:AAHHH: . a new twin 2" exhaust cost me $450 fitted which included welding the flanges on to bolt up to the extractors. that was in townsville, so you might get it cheaper in a southern city.

#12 ·
dad was in the same boat....

complete rebuild, 2100 motor taken out and re assembled here!
carbo reco 325
twin exhaust was 650 (not done yet using our genie extractors)
diff 880
auto we got our own
stally we got our own...

#14 ·
Have you thought about buying a GT instead? By the sounds of what you're adding to your 302 coupe it would be cheaper to buy a GT as everything you want would be there, and its retained value would be much higher.

#15 ·
mate you would not believe how much i would love to buy a gt, but at this point in time, money wont allow it(i WILL one day be buying an xa gt coupe(hopefully an RPO... but they are BIG bucks)) i know with all the stuff i will be doing it will all add up to around gt cost.... but i will be getting all this money over time... and plus, if i had a gt i wouldnt want to modify it at all... they are too precious :p

thanks,
travis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.