Couple of Clevo Q's.... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2005, 14:37   #1 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

Couple of Clevo Q's....

Hey folks I'm just dissasembling my 302 cleveland today and have a dumb question - how do I remove the camshaft? I have the timing cover off and have taken off the camshaft pulley bolt with the fuel pump eccentric on it but can't work out what's next. Please don't tell me I have to buy another bloody puller! I just bought a harmonic balancer puller yesterday, and I'm trying to save money for the parts to put this baby back together!! Thanks folks!
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2005, 15:02   #2 (permalink)
Pommey Mustanger

Re: Couple of Clevo Q's....

next move is to take the cam sprocket complete with chain & crank sprocket off, these should pull off ok without the need for a puller, sometimes the crank sprocket is a little tight over its keyway, once the cam timing gear is off just undo the two bolts securing the cam thrust plate & gently remove the cam (you can rebolt the sprocket on to help) being careful not damage the cam bearings in the block. HTH

Mike

(I have assumed you've removed the lifters)
mach1mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 15:23   #3 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

Ah thanks alot mate! Yeah I had the lifters and everything out, I was just a bit dubious on putting that much pressure on the crank and cam sprockets. That camshaft sprocket was as tight as a snapper's ringpiece!
Old 05-13-2005, 16:03   #4 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

Ah thanks alot mate! Yeah I had the lifters and everything out, I was just a bit dubious on putting that much pressure on the crank and cam sprockets. That camshaft sprocket was as tight as a snapper's ringpiece!
Old 05-13-2005, 16:10   #5 (permalink)
Pommey Mustanger

Quote:
tight as a snapper's ringpiece!
Not an expression we hear in everyday usage over here

What are you doing to the 302, big rebuild or just a quick spruce up?
mach1mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 16:15   #6 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

Initial plan was a full on rebuild with all the good bits but I just can't stand to see my XA sitting in the driveway engineless for months. I'm now doing a good freshen up with new bearings, rings and seals aswell as a nice street cam with lifters and new one-peice valves but keeping the old pistons. Unfortunately I just pulled a big end bearing and it has been rather scratched up which means the crank may require a grind, but we'll let the machine shop decide what needs to be done. Should have the whole lot back together within 6 weeks hopefully :)
Old 05-13-2005, 16:23   #7 (permalink)
82XE 351c

leave the two bolts and ring holding the cam in while pulling the sprocket off though!
Also dont push back hard on the cam at any time as there is a welsh plug right behind it, u might knock it out. then pull the sprocket off, just top one and chain, then take the two bolts and ring off and carefully slide the cam out, some people use a large pipe, 22mm i thinm over the end of the cam to get leverage...

p.s. if having trouble with sprocket use two large screwdrives carefully on each side to get it going...
pracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 17:00   #8 (permalink)

Another way to get the cam out is to use one of the harmonic balancer bolts and screw it into the camshaft. It works as a crude handle to give some grip and guidance for removal /refitting.
silicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 22:38   #9 (permalink)
Country Boy Rippin it up!

just a quike warning to you, what ever you do DONT lose the thrust plate, there an absolute Bitch to replace - trust me.
GTFORDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 00:47   #10 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

I take it that's the little "shim" plate with the two bolts that holds the camshaft in place? I have it stashed away and will be sure not to lose it :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech