Couple of hopefully minor problems.... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2005, 01:14   #1 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

Couple of hopefully minor problems....

Howdy folks, the engine is coming together slowly but surely, I've come across a couple of issues. First I think is pretty minor, I seem to have lost that little round clip that holds the oil pump drive shaft in place when the engine is upside down (I'm pretty sure that's what that bit is for, anyway). Am I okay assembling the engine without this little clip?

Second, my brand new distributor doesn't seem to fit exactly right into my block. It's not the 1/2" shaft that's the problem though, it's where the distributor body meets the block, there seems to be a bit too much clearance between the dizzy and the block. Hard to explain, but I'm able to wiggle the distributor around a little bit. It's fine when the hold down bolt is tightened, but I'm worried that if I run it like that for a while it might flog out the bushes. Any ideas?
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2005, 01:22   #2 (permalink)
ESP Man

Re: Couple of hopefully minor problems....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gayner
Howdy folks, the engine is coming together slowly but surely, I've come across a couple of issues. First I think is pretty minor, I seem to have lost that little round clip that holds the oil pump drive shaft in place when the engine is upside down (I'm pretty sure that's what that bit is for, anyway). Am I okay assembling the engine without this little clip?

Second, my brand new distributor doesn't seem to fit exactly right into my block. It's not the 1/2" shaft that's the problem though, it's where the distributor body meets the block, there seems to be a bit too much clearance between the dizzy and the block. Hard to explain, but I'm able to wiggle the distributor around a little bit. It's fine when the hold down bolt is tightened, but I'm worried that if I run it like that for a while it might flog out the bushes. Any ideas?
1) No, its not OK to assemble without the little clip! Even when the engine is up the right way, sometimes when you lift the dizzy out the shaft will come with it (i.e. out of the oil pump) but of course Murphys' law dictates that it won't stay in the bottom of the dizzy until you get it all the way out - no, of course the f%^#ing thing will fall out of the dizzy and into the sump!!!!!!!!!!

2) I assume your new dizzy is for a Clevo? Have you fitted the O ring to it which will tighten the fit and stop oil leak?
Old 05-29-2005, 01:27   #3 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

Yup it's definately a Clevo dizzy, I even googled the part number and it came up with a cleveland unit. O-ring came installed with it. I'll see if I can find that part number....

By the way, it's made in the USA which leads me to believe it has the bigger shaft, and it goes all the way down nicely so at least I know it has the right shaft for my block.

Edit-Here's a scan of the label on the box, so I can't see any reason for it to not fit right, maybe I'm just being paranoid? I mean it's not a hell of alot of movement, but it's more than I am comfortable with...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg proform.JPG (38.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 05-29-2005, 01:37   #4 (permalink)

did u fit a arp drive gear? 302 or 51?
Old 05-29-2005, 01:40   #5 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

No it came with a drive gear fitted. It's a 302 and it has a brand new camshaft aswell.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:57   #6 (permalink)
ESP Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gayner
Yup it's definately a Clevo dizzy, I even googled the part number and it came up with a cleveland unit. O-ring came installed with it. I'll see if I can find that part number....

By the way, it's made in the USA which leads me to believe it has the bigger shaft, and it goes all the way down nicely so at least I know it has the right shaft for my block.

Edit-Here's a scan of the label on the box, so I can't see any reason for it to not fit right, maybe I'm just being paranoid? I mean it's not a hell of alot of movement, but it's more than I am comfortable with...
I was worried when I saw your label cause it says B/B but I checked my MSD paperwork and mine also fits those other bigger blocks.

Just because the dizzy goes into the block doesn't mean the lower bush size is correct - it could mean its right OR the bush on the dizzy shaft is too small. One is just under 1/2" and the other just over 1/2". Measure the bush accurately to see if its under or over 1/2". Then find a shaft that is 1/2" (like a socket bar) and stick it into the hole. If it goes in then the hole must > 1/2". If it won't then < 1/2".

Make sure its the correct size or it will flog your dizzy and camshaft drive gears out
Old 05-29-2005, 02:05   #7 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

I don't own a mircrometer or vernier caliper but the shaft is just slightly too big to get a 1/2" open ended spanner onto, so it must be the larger one. If it goes into the block nicely that must mean the block is a big one also, so I think I'm okay. I work next to an engineer so I might take the dizzy into him to measure tomorrow just incase. Still don't really know if the clearance between the dizzy body and the block is a worry, but I suppose all I can do is bolt it up and try it out. Fingers crossed the engine is finished and bolted back into my car on Saturday, it's a long weekend over here so some weekend cruising would be a relly nice way to break the old girl in.

While we're sort of on the topic, do I need special ignition leads to fit the terminals on this dizzy? Where can I get them and what's it going to cost me?

Old 05-29-2005, 02:13   #8 (permalink)

12.5mm is the black block XD/XE
13.0mm is the blue blocks; ie up to and including XC
silicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 02:22   #9 (permalink)

Recently bought Eagle 10.5mm leads to suit HEI terminal dizzy price of $90.
xw383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 02:26   #10 (permalink)
ESP Man

You will need 90 degree spark plug type terminals to go over the terminals on that cap. I got a set made up by Magnacore for $169 with slightly extra length to fit the higher Pro billet MSD.

Your local parts place will know where to get em in NZ
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech