Crane ignition problem. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2005, 06:27   #1 (permalink)
PHAT COUPES

Crane ignition problem.

I have crane ignition hi-6 part 6000-6440 coil lx92 and msd billit dissy part number 8577 .I have no spark and have just read in chri mills ebay part number 6000-6440k for sale that it will not suit msd mag pick up dissy .
I can not find any info anywhere on this and was worried that maybe this is my problem .Part number 6000-6440k comes with the hi-6 and lx92 but does not exsist on the crane web site .
Any help would be great as the car is going back to the sparkie first thing tomorrow.
tony xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2005, 07:18   #2 (permalink)
Coupe XA

Re: Crane ignition problem.

Yeah ok i found some info MSD recomends-

An MSD Pro-Billet Distributor must be used with an MSD Ignition Control.

blah blah blah how crap is the crane site compaired to the msd site?

Nah i cant really help you out Tony i tried but msd says you can only use there dizzys with there boxes, must be somthing to do with the spark frequencies im not sure.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:26   #3 (permalink)
Mean & Green Machine

I have read on the crane.com site that the Hi-6 unit is NOT compatible with MSD distributors nor is the LX-92 coil and they actually state that the warranty will be void on the unit if it is wired up to one.The unit (Hi-6) has fault codes built into the unit(only accessible by Crane) that when sent back under warranty will show that it has been connected to a MSD dizzy(common problem in the U.S).Mate I would be kickin your auto elecs ass because obviously he didn't read the instructions (should have been a seperate statement with the install instructions quoting this with both the coil and unit)I would be shoving it down his throat and telling him to re-imburse you
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony xa
I have crane ignition hi-6 part 6000-6440 coil lx92 and msd billit dissy part number 8577 .I have no spark and have just read in chri mills ebay part number 6000-6440k for sale that it will not suit msd mag pick up dissy .
I can not find any info anywhere on this and was worried that maybe this is my problem .Part number 6000-6440k comes with the hi-6 and lx92 but does not exsist on the crane web site .
Any help would be great as the car is going back to the sparkie first thing tomorrow.
conan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 07:31   #4 (permalink)
Coupe XA

How come you got the crane box and coil and a msd dizzy? why didnt u get the crane dizzy?
Old 08-24-2005, 07:32   #5 (permalink)
PHAT COUPES

Quote:
Originally Posted by benXaGt
Yeah ok i found some info MSD recomends-

An MSD Pro-Billet Distributor must be used with an MSD Ignition Control.

blah blah blah how crap is the crane site compaired to the msd site?

Nah i cant really help you out Tony i tried but msd says you can only use there dizzys with there boxes, must be somthing to do with the spark frequencies im not sure.
Yep crane site sucks .There is no point in having a product that is meant to perform better than others if you can't use it .
Bob cambell said he has been to the cranes main factory on a tour once said fantastic set up alot of tech being used but pain in the butt to fit and work with thats why he uses msd striaght forward and works great .
Alright back to it, wright down what wires the sparkies screwed up and how to fix it .Great isn't it pay someone to do a job only to have to fix it and tell him how to fix his mistakes
Old 08-24-2005, 07:38   #6 (permalink)
PHAT COUPES

Quote:
Originally Posted by benXaGt
How come you got the crane box and coil and a msd dizzy? why didnt u get the crane dizzy?
Really crappy answers coming .
1- I hadn't seen the crane dissy yet when I brought the stuff.
2- I like the msd billit dissys look and crane one looks crap (light blue cap).
3- I didn't want msd ignition has it was red and every thing on the walls of the bay had to be black or alloy .
4-I like to be different .
5-I think the crane stuff had a little more to offer than msd
I know some of these answers are shellow but this car is no compromise on anything even colour of things had to be right .
Old 08-24-2005, 07:41   #7 (permalink)
Coupe XA

Crane hi-6 6000-6440
Primary Voltage Output 450 volts
Primary Energy Output 1200 millijoules/sequence
Dimensions 8”L x 4-1/2”W x 2”H; 4-1/2 lbs.
Operating Voltage 6 to 18v, reverse polarity protected, neg. ground only
Current Draw 7.0 amps max. at 10,000 RPM
RPM Operating Range 12,000 RPM (with rev limiter disabled).
Peak Spark Gap Current 380 milliamps with LX91 coil, 510 milliamps with LX92 coil.
RPM Limiter Accuracy ±30 RPM
RPM Limiter Range 600 to 9,900 RPM in 100 RPM increments.
Timing Accuracy ±0.5 degrees from 500 to 9,900 RPM
Multiple Spark Duration 20 degrees crankshaft rotation below 3,000 RPM. Max 12 sparks per sequence with 1 millisecond interval between sparks.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:42   #8 (permalink)
PHAT COUPES

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan1
I have read on the crane.com site that the Hi-6 unit is NOT compatible with MSD distributors nor is the LX-92 coil and they actually state that the warranty will be void on the unit if it is wired up to one.The unit (Hi-6) has fault codes built into the unit(only accessible by Crane) that when sent back under warranty will show that it has been connected to a MSD dizzy(common problem in the U.S).Mate I would be kickin your auto elecs ass because obviously he didn't read the instructions (should have been a seperate statement with the install instructions quoting this with both the coil and unit)I would be shoving it down his throat and telling him to re-imburse you
The worst thing is that the instructions I have for my unit have a diagram for connecting the msd up .
The only thing i can think of is that I got this unit around a year ago so maybe this one is compatable.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:44   #9 (permalink)
Coupe XA

MSD 6A-L
Operating Voltage: +10-18 VDC Negative Ground
Current Requirements: 5 Amps-5,000 RPM
10 Amps-10,000 RPM
RPM Range: 15,000 RPM with 14.4 Volts
Spark Duration: 20° Crankshaft Rotation
Energy Output Max: 105-115 mJ Per Spark
Weight and Size: 3 lbs, 8"Lx4"Wx2.25"H
Voltage Output Max: Primary: 460-480 Volts
Secondary: 45,000 Volts (Blaster Coil)
Old 08-24-2005, 07:51   #10 (permalink)
Mean & Green Machine

http://www.cranecams.com/pdf/90006000c.pdf check out tis on page 24.......you may find that you(your auto elec) has rooted your MSD's module also.
conan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech