crank snout sizes on stroker cranks - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2006, 02:44   #1 (permalink)

crank snout sizes on stroker cranks

I,m building a 383 cube cleveland and was wondering what ,if any differentiates between the snout of a 351 w and 351c. Most aftermarket cranks seem to be machined with windsor snouts and as such require a few different bits but this particular crank seems ok.Isn,t the windsor snout marginally smaller? If so by how much. I have been dummying the bottom end up and so far the stock clev Rollmaster looks to be a good fit as does the Ross balancer which fits snugly over the snout. The only thing it will need by the looks is the .30 spacer between the crank and the crank gear. From memory most guys have had issues with balancers being sloppy and have either had to shim or buy another balancer.Anyone?
russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2006, 03:06   #2 (permalink)

Re: crank snout sizes on stroker cranks

G'day i have built a 383 and had no probs with my balancer fitting either. The spacer you are requiring is a ford motorsport part. I don't have a part no handy but it is in the catalogue.
What brand crank are you using?
xw383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 03:14   #3 (permalink)
GEARBOX WRECKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by russxr67
I,m building a 383 cube cleveland and was wondering what ,if any differentiates between the snout of a 351 w and 351c. Most aftermarket cranks seem to be machined with windsor snouts and as such require a few different bits but this particular crank seems ok.Isn,t the windsor snout marginally smaller? If so by how much. I have been dummying the bottom end up and so far the stock clev Rollmaster looks to be a good fit as does the Ross balancer which fits snugly over the snout. The only thing it will need by the looks is the .30 spacer between the crank and the crank gear. From memory most guys have had issues with balancers being sloppy and have either had to shim or buy another balancer.Anyone?
Russ ive just done all this stuff man,ring me.

If you dont want to ring here we go,If your using the windsor snouted crank in a clevo you will need the SVO timing gear set as the crank doesn't have the .005" step for the crankgear to interference fit onto,also this set does away with the need for the .300" spacer as it is built into the gear set.

And if you have had it line bored get the set to suit ,its called the "Tunnel bore set".

MAtt

"Hate it or love it,the underdog's on top"
Standard Headers and Rubber & More to Come.
04 Focus Zetec R
YELLOW GLOW XB GT
GT-P 738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 03:28   #4 (permalink)

Curious to know what's the difference with the "tunnel bore set"?.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:54   #5 (permalink)

tunnell boring relocates the crank closer to the camshaft very slightly. This gear set takes that into consideration and is shorter in length by a few thou. Using a standard timing set in an engine that had been tunnel bored would make the chain slightly too long and therefore sloppy.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:01   #6 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

You could just use the SVO timing chain set Tony and I stated in our builds in the sticky post on strokers. Rollmaster pn: 3110 from memory.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:16   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-P 738
Russ ive just done all this stuff man,ring me.

If you dont want to ring here we go,If your using the windsor snouted crank in a clevo you will need the SVO timing gear set as the crank doesn't have the .005" step for the crankgear to interference fit onto,also this set does away with the need for the .300" spacer as it is built into the gear set.

And if you have had it line bored get the set to suit ,its called the "Tunnel bore set".

MAtt
Thanx mat,i did not realise there was an interference step on these cranks.I,ll whip out my micrometers and check to see if the stroker is the same as a 4ma. I don,t think i,ll bother with line boring of this engine. This one will just be an el cheapo and since it has a cast crank i don,t intend punishing it too much. I,m not building a 600 hp weapon . I,m trying to build more of a mild combo that will still make around 500 hp and gobs of torque whilst keeping the rpm,s to a manageable level. i,ll possibly use a set of 2v open heads that have been worked over significantly or perhaps a set of 185 CHI,s and a torquepower intake. It looks like i,ll have to go with a set of Probe pistons and my machinist has a liking for Eagle rods so a set with 6.125 length have been ordered. i was initially going to use an SRP piston but can,t get stock. Interestingly i had the option of using a Venolia piston but the feedback i got wasn,t as good as i,d hoped so i am going with Probes now.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:21   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xw383
G'day i have built a 383 and had no probs with my balancer fitting either. The spacer you are requiring is a ford motorsport part. I don't have a part no handy but it is in the catalogue.
What brand crank are you using?
I know ford make a specific part to suit but trying to locate one would not only be a pain inthe arse but would prolly cost a small fortune cause it has a ford part number. If i can use the Original Rollmaster set i will use it and get a mate of mine to turn me up a spacer for nicks.
Old 02-01-2006, 14:41   #9 (permalink)
Resident Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by russxr67
I,m trying to build more of a mild combo that will still make around 500 hp and gobs of torque whilst keeping the rpm,s to a manageable level.
Not sure you can use 500hp and mild combo in the same sentence Russ
But more power to you mate let us know how it goes.
Dam, cheaper stroker kits and the new alloy heads are providing some excellent results for this 30+ year old donk.
Work Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 22:09   #10 (permalink)

The spacer i got through "raceparts australia". It was $50.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech