Crankcase Breathers - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2005, 17:28   #1 (permalink)
XFFAIRMONT

Crankcase Breathers

What do people recommend for crankcase ventilation. At the moment i have two shitty breathers which leak oil. I took the pcv valve out to try and get more vacuum for the brake booster. I'm currently putting new rocker covers on it and the breather will not fit on the left rear as it is too close the the clutch master cylinder. It will fit the pcv valve but it will worsen the brakes. Does anybody run two breathers on the front of each cover. Is it not recommended if i will be driving the car a lot. I read in the manuals that you are to have one to the back of the carby and one to the base of the aircleaner.
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2005, 18:03   #2 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Re: Crankcase Breathers

In non-pollution cars they never ran to the base of the aircleaner. It was just a breather on the passenger side head. From XC onward the breather went to the aircleaner.
Old 05-03-2005, 18:49   #3 (permalink)

You shouldn't be spitting out oil if all is ok and the covers are baffled. If you are spitting out excess oil, it is blowby.

You must use a PCV valve if you are connecting the covers to the engine inlet (vacuum source). The PCV valve has no effect on the brakes.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 20:02   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer
You must use a PCV valve if you are connecting the covers to the engine inlet (vacuum source). The PCV valve has no effect on the brakes.

I'll second that. If the PCV valve is removed, you will have a massive vacuum loss. If it makes your brakes worse (?????) then maybe the whole lot is plumbed up wrong....?

Brake booster should go to a manifold fitting, PCV from the rear of the RH cover to the lower carb fitting, and form XC on, hose from cap on front of LH cover to SIDE of aircleaner housing. Pre XC just had a breather cap, or, is that pre-'75...?
RPO-083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 20:13   #5 (permalink)
82XE 351c

does anyone PCV vales make a noise here? Mine makes a constant rattle of the bearing as i dont thave the vacume to hold it closed, any fixes?
pracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 20:40   #6 (permalink)
XFFAIRMONT

Sorry i worded it all wrong i suppose. The Funnelweb intake doesn't have a outlet for the brake booster, so there was a hose running from carby base then a tee piece and one hose going to booster and one going to pcv valve. so some of the vacuum was taken by the pcv which when i plugged the tee piece off for this the brakes had more vacuum. I needed to do this due to lack of vacuum already for the booster cause of cam and intake combo ect. I can't fit a breather at the back left because it is way to close to the clucth cylinder. Just want to make shure its safe to run two breathers all the time if so i will put them both up the front of the rocker covers. Just if i do this and evr put the pcv valve on i've got to run the hose all the way from the front of the rocker cover which will look stupid. So is it fine to run two breathers all the time?
Old 05-03-2005, 21:36   #7 (permalink)
under thumb

I wouldnt get pinged by the epa if your not running a pcv! was a story in a recent SM mag of cops AND epa busting people going to wisd I think it was and one bloke copped an $800 odd fine from memory.

Im hopefilly going to fit the 4Vs and funnelwebb this weekend and im going to drill and tap a fitting into the manifold.
Old 05-03-2005, 21:43   #8 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Just drill and tap the manifold for the fitting. I had to do that on my CHI manifold.

Brenden
Old 05-04-2005, 02:21   #9 (permalink)

I can understand your problem.... Loss of vaccum. I have run a vaccum tank. What you need to do is run a hose line to the vaccum tank and a second outlet that runs to the engine with a one way valve so it stores the vaccum in the tank with this method you should eliminate your problem. The price of a vaccum tank if you can find someone to knock it up for you would probably set you back $120 polished.Then the fittings on top : low pressure check valve - $31, and the other bits and pieces you are looking around $28 this is how much it set me back. This is what you need to run when you run large lift and duration cams.
cnj351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 03:59   #10 (permalink)

XFFairmont i intend to run 2 breathers at the front of my covers. I haven't seen any reason not to. I was using a vacuum tank & pcv on my old engine., with my current engine no pcv & 2 breathers.

Brenx where did u tap into for your vacuum line?
xw383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech