Dug up a couple of photos of the '66 Mustang - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2004, 08:39   #1 (permalink)
'60 F100 Q-Code

Dug up a couple of photos of the '66 Mustang

Here are a couple of photos of my (now dead) '66 Mustang that I thought you guys would like to see...

(2nd pass ever, ran a 10.07@136MPH without using the transbrake!)

:davis:
davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2004, 19:42   #2 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

Re: Dug up a couple of photos of the '66 Mustang

ahhh i remember the clip of it being destroyed so well! what a beast that was!! any plans for a new machine?
Old 05-02-2004, 20:08   #3 (permalink)
'60 F100 Q-Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
ahhh i remember the clip of it being destroyed so well! what a beast that was!! any plans for a new machine?
I guess that depends on what you call plans...

...BTW, why does your avatar look like a chick with 3 butt cheeks?

Old 05-02-2004, 20:29   #4 (permalink)
speedkills so snort Slowr

That thing looks off Tap unreal!!!!
http://www.freewebs.com/tzenu
crzyxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 01:21   #5 (permalink)
The Deputy Dogg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway

What happened to it?
falcon coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 01:42   #6 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

Davis, was that Stang really road reg?
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 08:40   #7 (permalink)
'60 F100 Q-Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
Davis, was that Stang really road reg?
It was really road registered. In Arizona, any vehicle model year 1966 and earlier is considered to be pre-emissions and therefore no inspection is required. It was road registered and tagged when it was still just a nasty looking body shell.

However, it was never really driven on the street. It was too low! I had to drive (or push) it up on boards to get the jack under the front end. I could have raised the suspension up a good bit to drive it on the street, but that would have just gotten me into trouble...as if I stayed out of trouble on the track!

Falcon Coupe:

Somebody forgot to turn the electric waterpump drive on and boiled the water out of the block, which popped off the top radiator hose (return) and all of that water spewed out right in the path of the right rear tire. It was like driving a boat with full rudder...after getting completely sideways, it rolled onto its side, onto its roof then banged into the wall at about 120 MPH and slid through the lights upside down doing a 12.76 at some 68 MPH with the 'chute pulled.

At least that is what I believed happened. The top water hose was off after we finally took a look at it while the track crew cleaned up the mess. The car was built very stoutly. Only the rear bumper (fiberglass) was torn off as was the driver's side (left for us) door handle from sliding on that side. I trashed the car because the main hoop was so badly ground down and the front end was so badly bent that it would have been more work to repair it than to rebuild it.

I built another couple of door cars, but never raced them, just sold them upon completion and started on this dragster project--going on a year now.

It took us almost exactly 1 year to build that Mustang from a sandblasted body shell. I wrecked it on its 21st pass. First pass ever off of the trailer, I was "taking it easy" (or so I thought!) and ran something like a 10.34 @ 126 (or something along those lines, I've long since tossed all of the timeslips).

The car was so stable that it felt like about a 12-something until I started getting on the brakes and literally flew past the first turn out. I noticed that I really needed to slow it down while fast approaching the 2nd turn out. I completely misjudged the speed as it was just so smooth. Also, for a tube chassis racecar with fiberglass front, doors, trunk, bumpers and lexan windows, it wasn't exactly a lightweight at 2850# with me in it. All of the interior sheet metal except the dash was steel. The chassis was made from mild steel and it with a big block and a C6, it was a fairly hefty combination.

The BBF made over 600 TQ its entire useful RPM range (on pump gas). I really built the car for something like 10% street 90% strip and used 3.89 gears in the rear end, 33" tall tires a massive radiator, dual electric fans, combination oil cooler/transmission cooler with dedicated fan...everything that I could do to ensure that it wouldn't overheat during cruise nights.

I had ordered a 4.29 gear set for it as a complete alloy 3rd member from Strange...it arrived the day AFTER I wrecked it. The 4.29 would have been a much better gear for this car, which ran 1.19 60' when loading up the converter to 5000+ with the 3.89s and the big tires.

I once left in second gear (during that starting line process, I *wondered* why the transbrake wouldn't engage...shifter needed some adjustment) and ran a low 10.30 or high 10.20...can't remember for sure.

It made a ton of torque and was a lot of fun to drive...it was a bit too comfortable at race speeds, which made me perhaps a bit overconfident. I probably could have saved it had I gotten out of it as soon as it started getting loose on the night I wrecked it. I wanted to beat the Mopar, as it was Ford versus Mopar night at the track and we two were considered to be the "big guns" of the night. It died June 15th, 2002. RIP. I sold the engine to a guy building a 4x4 F250 for what I paid for it. I sold the transmission to a guy who wanted to build a cruiser. The only part that I took a loss on (other than the obvious body parts and chassis) was the torque converter, which cost me like $780 and I sold it for something like $600.

I think of it now as a good lesson learned, even if rather expensive. Any racecar you can walk away from is a good one. Had I not been wearing my neck brace (not actually required when slower than 9.99) I may have gotten a state-paid ride to the morgue.

Still, the worst thing about it is that I was rushed at the starting line and didn't go through my checklist or I would have caught the waterpump drive being off. The Mopar I was racing only ran a 10.21 and I regularly ran 10.0x.

Old 05-03-2004, 17:37   #8 (permalink)
The Deputy Dogg.

Wow, what a sad story Davis, such a nice car too, at least you walked away from it.
Mustangs are really starting too grow on me since i joined the fordforums, i never took a lot of notice of them before, but i reckon i could see one in the shed at some stage.
Old 05-03-2004, 19:18   #9 (permalink)
'60 F100 Q-Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon coupe
Wow, what a sad story Davis, such a nice car too, at least you walked away from it.
Mustangs are really starting too grow on me since i joined the fordforums, i never took a lot of notice of them before, but i reckon i could see one in the shed at some stage.
The challenge was two-fold...best reaction time and ET/Win. The guy (a review of timeslips) got me on the RT by .006 on a .500 full tree (I'm a .400 pro tree racer, but did practice on the full tree a few nights before the race) and he used his electronics (I didn't have any delay electronics in the car!) to get a .564 to my .570 so he got the RT points. ...and he was an every weekend racer and I had just completed the car 20 passes previously, which meant that I had had very little seat time for at least the entire year it was being built. The guy got both the RT points AND the win light.

It was the first and only time that I didn't run my own car number on it, but ran with the "challenge assigned number" ...so I reckon that "bad karma" got me on it! I didn't have a chance to run any test passes that night, as I discovered shortly after tech that some of my (drive) wheel studs had backed out as much as a 1/4" or so and so I was under the car tightening everything up until it got dark. By that time, they didn't want anybody racing in the challenge to get stuck in the staging lanes so I stayed in the pits for two hours or so waiting to run. After awhile I got tired of sitting on my arse and went up to the food stand for a quick "dinner" and while I was up there, they, naturally, called us to the lanes. So, I'm running back, putting on my fire suit, getting strapped in, firing up the car and driving up to the lanes...and wham, the Mopar guy was there waiting, so I started my burnout and didn't do my "preflight plan."

It is a lesson well and not inexpensively learned. No matter what is happening, go through your routine.

(I take it back) The worst part really was all of the Mopar F&#@%$-heads who later said that he beat me every inch of the way down the track. I talked to the guy, who was a really decent guy, after the crash and asked him how close it was (I was up on my side by that point and had a "weird view" of the world)...he said that he saw me coming right at his door. There is no way physically possible to be behind a guy, go side ways, flip on to your side and still be coming at someone's door if you were behind him...especially if he's still accelerating! I was clearly ahead in the video tape and it is the only explanation for his remarks about me coming toward his door.

Another lesson learned the hardway that night was that it isn't worth a win to risk another guy's life/car over it. If you want to take your car out, fine, but you're also risking another driver in the process. I know that I recognized the car starting to get loose. I also know that at that very brief moment I conciously decided to stay in it and "ride it through it" but as history knows, it didn't make it through very well...and during that brief moment of too much ego and testosterone, I seriously endangered both his life and mine. I hope everyone here takes this lesson from my account of it and doesn't have to experience it on their own. I was lucky. All I had was some rather painful shoulder harness bruises from slamming into the wall at 120.

If I could have just listened to my mate...before going out that night, I stopped by his house to let him know I was off (he lives a half-block away) and he told me to get out of it if it starts getting loose. He must have said it three or four times like he was having some kind of premonition or something. I jokingly said back to him, "You know me, I never lift." Had it been my home track, I probably would have made it through, but at the "ice skating rink" as Firebird is so accurately named, loose was completely loose.

In the afterward of it all, the only "bragging point" I've got now is that I've ran a 12.76 upside down!

...here is another shot of it:

'66 Mustang Bites The Dust

...and here are a couple of other shots of it running. The guy walking beside the car built the chassis and basically spent an entire year of his free time on it for $5K USD. (He's a fireman so works one 24h day and gets 2 days off on rotation.)

Race against a 17s Chevy

Race against a 11.17 SBF Early Falcon

Note that this was also late May, early June of 2002. It doesn't even get below 100*F (37.8*C) until about 10pm...kinda makes it not very fun to sit around in the car after a pass wearing your firesuit...

Old 05-04-2004, 04:32   #10 (permalink)
The Deputy Dogg.

He jumped you off the line, then you easily pass him before things go pearshaped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech