Dyno reading for 302 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2006, 21:40   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

Dyno reading for 302

G'day all

I had my XE with a 302 Cleveland dyno'd last week and it was shown to have 207hp at the wheels. It has a mild crane cam, a set of pacemaker extractors and 3" exhaust but is otherwise not too far off standard. What kind of results have other 302's had out there?
XE302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2006, 21:57   #2 (permalink)

Re: Dyno reading for 302

got my cobra dynoed last week. its a 302w roller cam, gt40 heads but stock exhaust manfolds and it made about 194hp, cant complain in a light car. i really wanted around 250
Old 03-12-2006, 23:16   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XE302
G'day all

I had my XE with a 302 Cleveland dyno'd last week and it was shown to have 207hp at the wheels. It has a mild crane cam, a set of pacemaker extractors and 3" exhaust but is otherwise not too far off standard. What kind of results have other 302's had out there?
That will get you into the mid 14's.....so still an OK streeter with some low diff gears. What are you revving it up to?

What carb/manifold are you using?

Next time the engine's out, get yourself a 351 crank and a new set of pistons using your 302 rods. That will get you an easy extra 40+hp at the wheels and a fair bit more torque.
Old 03-13-2006, 14:59   #4 (permalink)
Ford Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu351
That will get you into the mid 14's.....so still an OK streeter with some low diff gears. What are you revving it up to?

What carb/manifold are you using?

Next time the engine's out, get yourself a 351 crank and a new set of pistons using your 302 rods. That will get you an easy extra 40+hp at the wheels and a fair bit more torque.
It has 3.23 gears in it, and it makes peak power a bit over 6000rpm. I've never done any drags in it yet, so I don't know it's optimum shift points or things like that. It has a relatively flat torque curve peaking around 4-4500rpm.

Carb and manifold are all standard, the Thermoquad's just been tuned to suit the cam, etc. I'm happy with how it is, I just wanted a good streeter that was tough but relatively fuel efficient. As it is it's not a huge lot thirstier than my standard 250 XD wagon (depending on how it's driven), but goes 2 or 3 times better.

I've heard of that crank/rod combination, if I was to ever go for a 351 I'd seriously look into that.
Old 03-13-2006, 15:56   #5 (permalink)

Sounds about spot on. My rebuilt 302, R.I.P., had a mild crow cam that made around 160 rwkw (215 rwhp) at about 5000 rpm through a hi stalled c10. What sort of lifters are you using, mine collapsed and destroyed the motor when it went just over 6000 rpm on the dyno.
Is yours manual or auto, cause the auto loses abot 15 rwkw compared to the manual.
XC 302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 16:51   #6 (permalink)
Ford Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC 302
Sounds about spot on. My rebuilt 302, R.I.P., had a mild crow cam that made around 160 rwkw (215 rwhp) at about 5000 rpm through a hi stalled c10. What sort of lifters are you using, mine collapsed and destroyed the motor when it went just over 6000 rpm on the dyno.
Is yours manual or auto, cause the auto loses abot 15 rwkw compared to the manual.
I'm couldn't tell you what lifters I've got, my brother researched it, bought all the parts and put the engine together for me. Most of the internals are standard as far as I know, I think only the cam, lifters and valve springs are modified, and the crank and rods were all balanced. I do have the receipt for all the parts somewhere.

The trans is manual, XH 5spd, which turned out really nice as, because it's from a ute with a low ratio diff, 5th gear is a much taller ratio than the 5th gear in the old ED 5spd I had that blew up a few months ago. The ED box with a 2.92 diff revved the same in 5th as the XH box with a 3.23 diff.
Old 03-13-2006, 17:17   #7 (permalink)

If they are normal hydraulic lifters (not anti-pump), which i assume they are with a mild cam, i wouldn't push it past 6000 rpm or the lifters will generally fail. must be fun having a manual, the auto in mine always made it feel like a slug pushing 1800 kg worth of car. I'd say the ed box was one of those supra XF 5 speed's that cant handle any power, the XH T5 should go forever (assuming it is a t5).
Old 03-13-2006, 17:40   #8 (permalink)
Ford Member

Quote:
If they are normal hydraulic lifters (not anti-pump), which i assume they are with a mild cam, i wouldn't push it past 6000 rpm or the lifters will generally fail. must be fun having a manual, the auto in mine always made it feel like a slug pushing 1800 kg worth of car. I'd say the ed box was one of those supra XF 5 speed's that cant handle any power, the XH T5 should go forever (assuming it is a t5).
I generally don't push it to the upper limits of the tacho, only very few times has it gone off the scale (standard 6000rpm tacho).

The ED box was a T5 too, both boxes looked identical on the outside, it was just one of those freak things (I hope) that it blew up, stripped all the teeth off third gear, which is apparently the gear that will fail first in those things, as it's the one people often drop back to, so it's subject to forces from both directions more than the other gears
Old 03-13-2006, 21:19   #9 (permalink)

Are you sure the tacho is accurate, The factory tacho in mine reads about 4700rpm when it is actually doing around 5500rpm, only found out when it was on the dyno with the diagnostics. Your power seems a bit high in the rev range with mostly standard parts, when i had the standard intake/carb on mine, it struggled to get over 5000 rpm. Put on the single plane and it would rev until it broke (which it did).
Old 03-13-2006, 21:58   #10 (permalink)
Ford Member

Quote:
Are you sure the tacho is accurate, The factory tacho in mine reads about 4700rpm when it is actually doing around 5500rpm, only found out when it was on the dyno with the diagnostics. Your power seems a bit high in the rev range with mostly standard parts, when i had the standard intake/carb on mine, it struggled to get over 5000 rpm. Put on the single plane and it would rev until it broke (which it did).
I wasn't actually there when it was dyno'd, my brother got it all done, though apparently the tacho was spot on, but the speedo was a little bit out, just not enough to be an issue. I suppose with aftermarket wheels and tyres you can only get so close to the original rolling diameter.
The tacho in the car wouldn't be what they use to measure the revs on a dyno anyway surely.
My brother did do a bit of work on the heads come to think of it, but as far as I new it wasn't anything major, just taking off the rough edges, what's known as a bowl job I believe, maybe that's why it revs to 6000?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech