Dyno run results with AFD's - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2004, 04:56   #1 (permalink)
ESP Man

Dyno run results with AFD's

Ran the ESP on the dyno today for 1st time ever.

It made 212rwkw in shootout mode on Dyno Dynamics machine. This is about what I expected from seat of the pants comparison to the T3

Its still got plenty more in it. The 2 into 1 system must be choking it big time. A full twin 2.5" mandrel bent system will fix this sometime soon. Its got 1 & 3/4" primary 4V tri Y's at the moment but I am considering 4 into 1's.

Also, its running out of fuel up top. The mechanical Edelbrock high volume pump just won't keep up at full throtttle. Dyno guy says to check pressure but looks like I will need Holley blue and 1/2" line.

How can I install 1/2" pickup in the XD tank?

Any suggestions on tri Y's versus 4 into 1s and what brands to consider
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2004, 05:09   #2 (permalink)

Re: Dyno run results with AFD's

Good to hear. Should still have plenty in it.....and, get some fuel into that sucker.
I just used my standard pickup and removed the anerexic 5/16 or so steel line it had, and made the hole to suit 1/2 pipe. I then got a piece of stainless 1/2 tube and bent a 90 degree for the top. Since i coulnt silver solder or use heat with the electronic sender for the fuel gauge, i made the 1/2 nice and tight through the hole and used heaps of Devcon plastic steel on the top and bottom locating spots. I also went to the local efi parts supplier and got a good filter for the bottom of the 1/2 tube. This has all been fully submerged in fuel since 1999 and has held up fine. Damn fine stuff that Devcon.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:45   #3 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

XBWGN's runs tri-y's so they can't be that bad I'd stick with the tri-y's and run the twin 2 1/2" system and go from there. If you do go 4-1's pacemaker 4070's are good. I think quite a few users of these forums run them inc myself.

Any radiator shop should be able to fit a 1/2" pickup in your sender. Thats what I was going to do (still may) but I had $1600 worth of fuel cell (out of the old car) just begging to be installed.

Brenden
Old 10-18-2004, 06:10   #4 (permalink)
ESP Man

Thanks fellas. I will pull the pickup/sender unit from the tank and talk to a workshop about modifying it. VPW has Holley blue for $240.

I will stick with the tri Y's. Pacy 4070/5's are around $550 and comp tuned are $700. The twin mandrel with new mufflers won't give any change from $1000 or so and that will hurt the wallet enough on top of the fuel pump & lines

I think the tri Y's are one reason XBwagons tank pulls so well.

One thing that did impress the dyno guy was the long flat torque (they call it tractive effort) line on the graph. Its not a curve cause it just keeps going up & up slightly till it reaches its highest point near full revs and then only falls away slightly.
Looks like it should pull hard for the full qtr. Time will tell (and some more $)
Old 10-18-2004, 06:10   #5 (permalink)

shaynet, can you give us a quick rundown on your combo/cam ect. I know you have said before, but as usual, i forgot.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:34   #6 (permalink)
ESP Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdclevo
shaynet, can you give us a quick rundown on your combo/cam ect. I know you have said before, but as usual, i forgot.
Edelbrock 800cfm vac sec carbie
Weiand xcellarator manifold
AFD 57cc alloys
YT Platinum RR's
Comp Cams 294S-10 camshaft 605/605 lift, 248/248 @ 50thou, 110 lobe sep
Comp Cams solid lifters and pushrods
Double row timing chain
IC&E mechanical dizzy set at 10 deg initial with 20 in the dizzy all in by 3500
351 crank
302 rods
stubby flat top pistons + 30 thou over
zero deck height giving estimated 11.4:1 compression ratio
std oil pump with ARP heavy duty drive
std water pump and clutch fan
top loader (sequential shift waiting for custom made mounting bracket)
3.5" tailshaft & safety loop
disk brake LSD 9" with 3.5 gears
running on 98 BP Ultimate it does not ping
Old 10-18-2004, 07:26   #7 (permalink)
Boost Is for Pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaynet
Thanks fellas. I will pull the pickup/sender unit from the tank and talk to a workshop about modifying it. VPW has Holley blue for $240.

I will stick with the tri Y's. Pacy 4070/5's are around $550 and comp tuned are $700. The twin mandrel with new mufflers won't give any change from $1000 or so and that will hurt the wallet enough on top of the fuel pump & lines

I think the tri Y's are one reason XBwagons tank pulls so well.

One thing that did impress the dyno guy was the long flat torque (they call it tractive effort) line on the graph. Its not a curve cause it just keeps going up & up slightly till it reaches its highest point near full revs and then only falls away slightly.
Looks like it should pull hard for the full qtr. Time will tell (and some more $)

I'll have a set of 4070s that I don't need in about 2-3 weeks. (Alternatively Ford Muscle Parts have them and 4075 for $450)
I managed to score a brand new Holley Blue and Reg from Ebay for $150 Aussie including airfreight from the states....

Ben
GammaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 13:41   #8 (permalink)
The Deputy Dogg.

I would go past the Holley blue and get a Mallory, Brenx and i both use them, there not half as noisy as a Holley.
falcon coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 14:17   #9 (permalink)
Resident Budget Racer

shaynet I run tri-ys and had flanges fitted to the ends so I could drop my pipes at the dyno/drags. It cost $20 per side, not as good as a twin 2 1/2 inch mandral bend system but a whole lot cheaper!

I'd fit an electric pump to the standard fuel line, and see if that did the job. Or if you were going to the trouble of running another line, keep the existing fuel line as well. Then use a return style regulator with it.

That is a huge carb you have there! My motor (much lower spec than your's) picked up heaps going from a 750Vac to a 650DP.

I'm not into comparing dyno numbers, but interestingly I also ran up 212rwkw. As you point out, the torque curve makes all the differance. There will be plenty more in yours once it's sorted I'm sure, keep us posted.
Work Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 19:00   #10 (permalink)
methanol injected clevo

by the looks of your combo i'd personally go for:

mallory fuel pump
pacemaker 4>1s
750DP

with the above parts and a twin 2.5" exhaust you should see some big gains.

it all depends on what you want the car for.. if it's a daily driver etc..

1981 XD Ex-Interceptor - 393C, AFD 4Vs, Methanol Injection, Powerglide

1994 ED XR8 Sprint - 347W, 5-speed, 3.9s

http://hi-performance.net
xr8_sprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech