Dyno Tunes, Are They Worth It? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2004, 01:15   #1 (permalink)

Dyno Tunes, Are They Worth It?

Hi all
Im wondering if forking out the money to get my 302c dyno tuned and dizzy re-graphed will give me anymore performance? Its beginning to feel really slack.

Anyones thoughts on this would be great!

XDman
Leaks
Dents and;
Engine
Noise

FOR SALE: 1980 XD, Recently rebuilt 9" disc diff, with 3.25 gears, toploader with hurst shifter kit, 302C, DBA slotted and cross driled rotors, Fairmont interior with modified centre console, jellybean mags, reasonably good condition, driveline will handle 400+rwhp PM FOR PICS asking $3500
XDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2004, 01:22   #2 (permalink)
The Deputy Dogg.

Re: Dyno Tunes, Are They Worth It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDman
Hi all
Im wondering if forking out the money to get my 302c dyno tuned and dizzy re-graphed will give me anymore performance? Its beginning to feel really slack.

XDman
Dyno tunes are great for seeing the results of any work you have done, they will show straight away if there is any improvement, or if you have gone backwards.
Everytime i have dynoed the car after some mod`s, the feel of the car reflects what the dyno has shown, good and bad.
falcon coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 02:19   #3 (permalink)
Mulberry Rain

pardon my ignorance, but how much does a dyno tune cost?
blueraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 02:38   #4 (permalink)
The Deputy Dogg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraven
pardon my ignorance, but how much does a dyno tune cost?
I believe where i go, it costs $55 per hour, plus the fee for mechanic/mechanics, working on the car, i dont bother dyno tuning my daily driver, but fot the GT, i see it as a necessity.
falcon coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 03:46   #5 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Can't say I've every regrettted a dyno. Although they do tend to tell you what you have to do to make more power and the cost. Thats a little disheartening to most people. Thats just cars in general though.

I wouldn't dyno tune my daily drivers even though it'd probably save me a few $ at the pump. My daily's I really don't treat as nicely as I do my 351.

351 gets no expense spared within reason.

Brenden
Old 05-05-2004, 22:26   #6 (permalink)

well im getting the dizzy regraphed and dyno tuned next week sometimes. Im pretty sure its running like a dog cause it doesnt start straight up anymore when it used to. Shall be interesting, will post my stats later next week
Leaks
Dents and;
Engine
Noise

FOR SALE: 1980 XD, Recently rebuilt 9" disc diff, with 3.25 gears, toploader with hurst shifter kit, 302C, DBA slotted and cross driled rotors, Fairmont interior with modified centre console, jellybean mags, reasonably good condition, driveline will handle 400+rwhp PM FOR PICS asking $3500
Old 05-05-2004, 23:47   #7 (permalink)
'60 F100 Q-Code

Quote:
Hi all

XDman
Dyno tuning with a strong game plan going in is the strategy that I like to use to save money and time. The last trip in to a chassis dyno, I had everything ready and the engine was freshly back from the engine dyno so I knew which directions to go in with regard to what I was trying to do with it.

The BEST thing that you can do is to write down/record every single change and make sure that the tuners are not overly aggressive or changing more than one thing per pull. I've seen crappy tuners who get some wild hair up their arses and think that they've got a clue about which direction to take in "tuning" an engine. The last guy practically snatched my carburetor off of the engine before I had a chance to even take the car down to the dyno. He was going to put some "serious" jetting in it. I asked him; "Whatcha doin'?" He said that he was changing jets. I told him that I thought that I had the jets right where I wanted them for at least the first pull. He asked me what jets were in it, I told him, 70/78. He told me that I'd need to go to at least 88 in the front and 92-94 in the rear. I told him that I disagreed. (He wouldn't stop fiddling with my carb.) I told him that I had a game plan and that I was happy with my prediction for at least a baseline jetting value. He would NOT stop on my carb, so I told him straight out. (All this time he kept telling me how I would go in so lean that I'd burn up the engine and that I'd just have to add more jetting and waste more time on the dyno, etc.etc.)

I told him that I was an engineer and the way engineers do things is that they make their best possible informed guess and then document their changes after verifying results from careful testing. I told him that I had my best guess in there already and that I wanted to see the results of testing so that I could better understand where my analysis failed, if indeed it would fail based on his predictions. (This same guy couldn't tell you what cam I had, the size of my valves or even what my A/F ratio was on my engine dyno testing, but he was able to spew forth like a mad man about where my jetting absolutely needed to be.) I finally told him to PUT DOWN MY CARB because I was going with the jetting that I SELECTED. He, bitterly, threw it down on the bench (much to my dismay) and retorted with "Well it's your money you're wasting."

First pull on the dyno showed the A/F at 13.2 across the board. Second pull confirmed it. The A/F was perfect. The car was in and out in 20 minutes including hook-up/disconnect time.

He did admit "Looks like the A/F is right." But he never once apologized for his own stupidity or insulting manner that included treating my parts like crap.

The moral of this story is the more you know about your combination the safer you are from all sorts of things.

I do strongly recommend dyno tuning whenever possible and that you have a better than fair idea what is going on with your engine. A reputable shop is a requirement wherever you go whether for checking the air in your tires or jetting your carburetor.

:davis:
davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 00:48   #8 (permalink)
ESP Man

Quote:
Hi all

XDman
Before spending time & money on the dyno make sure you have the basics right e.g. plugs, leads, points (unless its electronic). You can check your timing and advance without going on a dyno and get your dizzy graphed first.

Get these things right then tune your car on the dyno Good luck
Old 05-06-2004, 04:49   #9 (permalink)

ok thanks for the great responses. I will be getting a move on with everything next week sometime. Im guesstimating that it will be around 90-100kw at the wheels maybe a tad more if im lucky. Ill just have to confirm a bit later

XDman
Leaks
Dents and;
Engine
Noise

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech