electric fuel pumps - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2005, 22:41   #1 (permalink)

electric fuel pumps

hey fellas, was going to put in an electric fuel pump. just wanted to know if I hav to run a reg even though it's only a low pressure pump? I hav to test it to see wat pressure it puts out in normal form. if I hav to run a reg any recommendations in brands? wat would be a pressure limit that the needle and seat can hold on a thermoquad?
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2005, 22:55   #2 (permalink)

Re: electric fuel pumps

Yes you need to run a reg.

Normal open pressure for a "low pressure" pump would be around 10-15psi. What brand/model pump do you have?

A carb should have about 6-7psi. Otherwise, you'll flood it and force feed the bowls.

The basic holley fuel regs would be your cheapest bet. When you plumb the lines from the reg to the fuel bowl put in T piece and a small mechanical fuel gauge so you can set the reg to the desired pressure.
Old 02-01-2005, 23:55   #3 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

What do you do with the mechanical fuel pump when the electric one goes in? Is it just a matter or pulling it oof, removing the push rod and bolting it back in? I've never even looked at a clevo one so I could be way off, but alot od old four cylinder engines have the mech pump running off an eccentric on the camshaft through a push rod.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 00:29   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gayner
What do you do with the mechanical fuel pump when the electric one goes in? Is it just a matter or pulling it oof, removing the push rod and bolting it back in? I've never even looked at a clevo one so I could be way off, but alot od old four cylinder engines have the mech pump running off an eccentric on the camshaft through a push rod.
Yes, there is an eccentric bolted to the front of the cam which pushes down on a lever, which as you know operates the diaphragm, no push rods as such, the pump and lever is one complete unit. The mechanical pump is easily removed with just 2 nuts. You can buy a small block off plate to cover the hole in the block - specifically made for the job.
Old 02-02-2005, 00:53   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu351
Yes, there is an eccentric bolted to the front of the cam which pushes down on a lever, which as you know operates the diaphragm, no push rods as such, the pump and lever is one complete unit. The mechanical pump is easily removed with just 2 nuts. You can buy a small block off plate to cover the hole in the block - specifically made for the job.
EASILY removed if you dont have aircon and power steer, in which case I found myself constantly muttering a four letter word beginning with F.......... thats right, bloody "FORD" was what I was muttering!
Old 02-02-2005, 01:28   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
EASILY removed if you dont have aircon and power steer, in which case I found myself constantly muttering a four letter word beginning with F.......... thats right, bloody "FORD" was what I was muttering!
Yep.......a tight fit down there! All you needed in addition to that was a set of hot extractors The aircon needs its marching orders! I'd rather wind the windows down and sweat. Weird I know, but I hate all the engine clutter.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:16   #7 (permalink)

No that is normal, almost everyone I know has pulled their aircon. For those halfway performance minded its usually the first thing to go. Mine is painted black so it doesnt stand out quite so much but Ford did put it in a really obvious place on the Clevelands. On a 4.1 six you wouldnt even know it there. I have lots of clutter, Used to have even more with LPG and all the related paraphenailia. Theres a pic of my bay in the gallery, if you can find it they have taken away the "see users gallery" link that used to pop up when you right click a username.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:22   #8 (permalink)

Actually its right here. I have a chrome plated mechanical fuel pump, and ceramic coated extractors that you cant see either.
http://gallery.fordforums.com//showg...00/ppuser/7503
Old 02-02-2005, 07:23   #9 (permalink)

If you're running something like the Mallory 70 pump, no reg is needed. The pump is self regulated to 6 psi. You'll still want to check it. I would not go over 6 psi on a T-quad. If you do need a reg, the Mallory regulators are better quality than the Holley. The Holleys are cheap and very restrictive.
Falcon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 10:00   #10 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

Wow that is a sexy XC ya got there xcgxl! Very nice!
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech