Engine to the machine shop tomorrow ! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2005, 02:46   #1 (permalink)

Engine to the machine shop tomorrow !

Hey Guys, your comments please....

My 351 goes to the shop tomorrow to be checked out due to the spun bearing.

I was going to get the following done.

1. Check to see if i can get away with a hone on the block & fit new rings keeping the existing forged pistions otherwise go out another .10" to a total of 40". Also fit a ARP bolt kit.

2. Have the 4MAB crank reground.

3. Have the rods closed & honed to suit and have ARP bolts fitted.

4. New cam bearings. (actually all new bearings throughout)

5. Full balance on the motor.

Heads are currently 2V with 4V valves on both inlet and exhaust and have had a mild port job. They are in great nick...should I touch them and have them fited out so I can run premium unleaded ? (cost is $600)
Don't know what spring pressures I'm running can the engine shop confirm this ?

intend on keeping the x-ecel weiand manifold and fit the existing 750 vac holley until I can get the funds for a 750dp. only other purchases would be a romac balancer and a new pan with a crank scraper and windage tray. Oh yeh and the Crow Hydro cam & lifters and YT roller rockers

Have I missed anything ??
cheers
xb351coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2005, 03:08   #2 (permalink)
The Deputy Dogg.

Re: Engine to the machine shop tomorrow !

Sounds like you have most of it covered, i would have the rods cold dipped/shotpeened after the re-size.
And i would also pay the extra to get it running on premium unleaded, less hassle and better fuel for timing/pinging etc...
falcon coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 05:00   #3 (permalink)

I went to do that a while ago, and found i had to rebore over 30 thou. Since i had near new pistons anyhow and they were all balanced to the crank, i just bored another block to 30 thou and went again. Only other thing i had to do was deck the block again to get the pistons 5 thou under deck height.
Kept the whole rotating assembly together.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:20   #4 (permalink)

Yeh, the shop should be able to test your springs and tell you all their ratings.
F399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 06:51   #5 (permalink)

Ask about what specs they are decking the block to. Helps to know the final figure if they give it back to you with the heads back on.

Are you going to machine the pedestals and go screw in studs, or use bolt on rockers?

Concur with shotpeening rods.

Could also get the crank nitrided or tuftrided........what ever you call it. Makes the surface metal super strong. All extra $$ though.

Hardened valve seats for ULP is a great idea.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:26   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb351coupe
44444444444444444444444444444$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
if you only have a spun bearing why do you want to do all this other stuff!
what do you want to do with this engine/car...do you want to build a stronger bottom end if so thats fine but look at what the origanal cause of this problem was.as far as heads go look if they really need work done for unleaded,i have done countless heads on vehicles and can only remember one vehicle that needed another set of heads, it was a vn commodore straight gas only (did 257,000 km) with no additives from genuine.
don<t be conned, that is what this site is for post what you want,i will do my best to help as will all site members,be honest and any budget can be accomidatad to with past trial & error from other members projects
cheers
they tell me my message is to short ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????
reece1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 07:46   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reece1
they tell me my message is to short
And that post was in aid if what exactly?

Your quote of xb351coupe seems to have a split personality? Someone having a bit of a tamper with other peoples posts? xb's log shows he's never posted those comments.
Old 04-04-2005, 14:52   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reece1
they tell me my message is to short ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????

I want to bulid a strong motor/ car combo that is capable of 13 sec quarters. Most of all I don't want to have to pull the thing out again in 12mths for the sake for saving $$$ now. I've always beleived if you go to budget and cheap out it will cost you more in the long run.
xb351coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 16:23   #9 (permalink)

dont like the idea of 40 thou over on the bores, was warned agianst it by my engine builder as it tends to makie the clevo start to heat up?

any suggestions?
streaksinthesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 17:23   #10 (permalink)
Big Motor Top Loader !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb351coupe

My 351 goes to the shop tomorrow to be checked out due to the spun bearing.

I was going to get the following done.

1. Check to see if i can get away with a hone on the block & fit new rings keeping the existing forged pistions otherwise go out another .10" to a total of 40". Also fit a ARP bolt kit.

2. Have the 4MAB crank reground.

3. Have the rods closed & honed to suit and have ARP bolts fitted.

4. New cam bearings. (actually all new bearings throughout)

5. Full balance on the motor.

Heads are currently 2V with 4V valves on both inlet and exhaust and have had a mild port job. They are in great nick...should I touch them and have them fited out so I can run premium unleaded ? (cost is $600)
Don't know what spring pressures I'm running can the engine shop confirm this ?

intend on keeping the x-ecel weiand manifold and fit the existing 750 vac holley until I can get the funds for a 750dp. only other purchases would be a romac balancer and a new pan with a crank scraper and windage tray. Oh yeh and the Crow Hydro cam & lifters and YT roller rockers

Have I missed anything ??
cheers
go an offset grind on the4 crank
xrgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech