Engine note synthesis... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2005, 21:53   #1 (permalink)
sideways in a six

Engine note synthesis...

OK I have a feeling this is an original idea - if not could someone please point me in the right direction...

Now that I have 2 weeks of school and exams left I'm going to be bloody bored so me and one of me mates are going to either build a corolla / esky for rallying, and a sweet as 'D (hopefully)...

But something I've been thinking about for quite a while, is what gives engines their particular note? Obviously the main bit you hear (the good bit) is the exhaust gasses, which gets pushed out by the piston and the exhaust valve, travels down the extractors, mixes with other pulses at the junctions, with the resonator filtering out certain frequencies, and the 'zorst acting like both a reverb chamber (a little) and a filter as well...

If i combine 8 cylinders all slightly out of sync, feed them through their own filter and reverb before combining them together through another resonator (audio of course) all i get is a rumble that sounds alright, but nothing like a sweet as '8.

What I want is to get into a program on the computer, and instead of using engine samples (which do sound bloody nice...) sit there revving the balls off something, which i can then change the 'zorst and cam to hear the difference...why? for fun more than anything...

So if someone could help out with all the different components of an engines note that would be appreciated... things like timing chain rattle, intake suck, zorst, lifters, all that...

But the big thing would be the pressure straight off one cylinder is killing me. It's obviously a bit hard to record this, and I'm having trouble combining both piston movement and valve timing, any ideas??
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2005, 23:38   #2 (permalink)

Re: Engine note synthesis...

Just stick with a looping sample for idle and a few "rev it" options.

Check this thread out for lots of V8 vids and audio. It's been accumilating some great stuff over the last 12 months. There's plenty of POWER RUNS here that would out do any synthsised sounds you could create from scratch.

Post your clevo sounds
Old 10-31-2005, 16:41   #3 (permalink)
sideways in a six

Re: Engine note synthesis...

yeah that's the BORING way to do it but Probably far too much effort to do it properly but...
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech