engine numbers - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2006, 20:06   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Melbourne
Age: 32
Posts: 111
engine numbers

Hi guys
i'm lookin at purchasing a cleveland engine block it has 4-bolt mains and the guy says its a gt block. is there anything on the engine number that indicates it's an original 4 bolter out of sumthing like a gt or even an f-100?
any feed back would be gr8 thanks
ziggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-24-2006, 21:25   #2 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont
 
brenx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cranbourne, Vic
Posts: 5,113
Re: engine numbers

The engine number will start with JG33 if it's a GT block. The engine number will always match the chassis number in a factory car. Can't remember what it is for coupes? Is it JG66?
__________________
XB Fairmont (street car) 11.07@123.02mph.
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 21:47   #3 (permalink)
Approach with caution.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 1,043
Re: engine numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggs
Hi guys
i'm lookin at purchasing a cleveland engine block it has 4-bolt mains and the guy says its a gt block. is there anything on the engine number that indicates it's an original 4 bolter out of sumthing like a gt or even an f-100?
any feed back would be gr8 thanks
No GT came with a 4 bolt block, all GT Clevelands were 2 bolt. Cleveland 4 bolt blocks are identical to 2 bolt blocks as well, they have all the provisions for the extra bolts except they aren't drilled out for the extra bolts.
4 bolt blocks were only fitted to US powered vehicles.
__________________
F6: the fastest factory 4 door falcon in the world!
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 19:51   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Perth Hills WA
Posts: 540
Re: engine numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
No GT came with a 4 bolt block, all GT Clevelands were 2 bolt. Cleveland 4 bolt blocks are identical to 2 bolt blocks as well, they have all the provisions for the extra bolts except they aren't drilled out for the extra bolts.
4 bolt blocks were only fitted to US powered vehicles.
Not quite. I think you are forgetting the XE Fords that had the XE19540 4 bolt block fitted.

With respect to GT motors, there is some conjecture as to the XA phase 4 having a 4 bolt block. Personally, I think the bloke talking this up is speaking out of his arse but I could be wrong

Paul
ps if you are still not sure, get all of the numbers off the block and post them up
paull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 03:10   #5 (permalink)
CLEVO KID
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 82
Re: engine numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
No GT came with a 4 bolt block, all GT Clevelands were 2 bolt. Cleveland 4 bolt blocks are identical to 2 bolt blocks as well, they have all the provisions for the extra bolts except they aren't drilled out for the extra bolts.
4 bolt blocks were only fitted to US powered vehicles.
I remember back in the mid 80's serving my apprentice ship a one owner XA GT came in,It was the first! time that Clevo-[virgin] had any major work performed - it "was a 4 bolt block!" .You did hear stories about all the phase 4 parts that were put back into production ,so some GT's did have 4 bolt blocks
potty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 22:46   #6 (permalink)
Approach with caution.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 1,043
Re: engine numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by potty
I remember back in the mid 80's serving my apprentice ship a one owner XA GT came in,It was the first! time that Clevo-[virgin] had any major work performed - it "was a 4 bolt block!" .You did hear stories about all the phase 4 parts that were put back into production ,so some GT's did have 4 bolt blocks
Hmm, i really doubt it! Im in the GT club and ive NEVER heard of a confirmed (or unconfirmed) original 4 bolt block in a GT in over 18 years, not a single 1! and allot of GT owners are great at making up stories!!!
Was it auto or manual? You see the motors fitted to the Manual trans XAGT were finished imported 2 bolt 4V crate motors, they were assembled in the states, not here.
There has never been any confirmation that the phase 4 engines were 4 bolt or if in fact they were ever built, just rumour and conjecture.
Anyway the Blocks are all the same, they all have provisions for the extra bolts, its a straight forward job to convert a 2 bolt to a 4 bolt setup.
__________________
F6: the fastest factory 4 door falcon in the world!
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 01:02   #7 (permalink)
CLEVO KID
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 82
Re: engine numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Hmm, i really doubt it! Im in the GT club and ive NEVER heard of a confirmed (or unconfirmed) original 4 bolt block in a GT in over 18 years, not a single 1! and allot of GT owners are great at making up stories!!!
Was it auto or manual? You see the motors fitted to the Manual trans XAGT were finished imported 2 bolt 4V crate motors, they were assembled in the states, not here.
There has never been any confirmation that the phase 4 engines were 4 bolt or if in fact they were ever built, just rumour and conjecture.
Anyway the Blocks are all the same, they all have provisions for the extra bolts, its a straight forward job to convert a 2 bolt to a 4 bolt setup.
Doubt it all you like 4vman?,"I saw what I saw" -the car was sold and serviced by the same Ford dealership I was working for in a small community .I remember when we sent it to a motor machinist for its rebore etc... we thought it was odd that it had a sump on it upon pick up? ,on inspection we discovered that he tryed to aquire it by using a 2 bolt block -thats another story? -Does'nt matter what club you might belong to , the fact was that manual XA GT I'm talking about had a 4 bolt block from factory!
potty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 01:06   #8 (permalink)
Southern Coupe
 
CJR09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Zealand
Age: 37
Posts: 215
Re: engine numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Anyway the Blocks are all the same, they all have provisions for the extra bolts, its a straight forward job to convert a 2 bolt to a 4 bolt setup.

Does that include the 302C??
CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 01:12   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 41
Re: engine numbers

I saw an advert a couple of months ago from a guy selling XA-XB parts.Went to see him and he owns a XA GT replica and A GENUINE XA GT. He is currently rebuilding the engine in the genuine one and he pointed out the 4 bolt main to us. I actually thought it was bullshit , but when I checked the numbers it matched.I for one thought they only came in XE until I saw this.Looked real enough.
GANGA35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:35.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.