Engine pinging when towing - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2004, 23:42   #1 (permalink)

xxx

xxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2004, 00:24   #2 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Re: Engine pinging when towing

The octane booster more than likely not solve your problem. It'd be easier for you to mark your dizzy for where the timing currently sits. Then retard it when you tow. Then put it back to the mark when your done. Cheapest and simplest.

Brenden
Old 06-20-2004, 00:54   #3 (permalink)
Resident Budget Racer

I,m with brenden, just take a bit of timing out of it when you have to tow. You want as little pinging as possible obviously, especially on your new motor!
Work Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 02:34   #4 (permalink)

OK thanks guys, will try it next time.
Old 06-20-2004, 03:11   #5 (permalink)

If you are hearing it pinging with only a medium size trailer then I suspect it would also be pinging, but less noticably, without a trailer. A medium trailer isn't much load on a clevo.

So it seems to me that a fix is warranted either way. Have you had the dizzy re-graphed for less total advance?
Old 06-20-2004, 04:56   #6 (permalink)

Its an MSD dizzy. I am running it straight out of the box as recommended by Crow Cams for my camshaft. It has 20 degrees advance from the factory and has the heaviest springs installed. It has just been on the dyno. I cant remember what he said the initial advance was, 12 degrees or therabouts I think. It also pings a little bit with the air on at the same speed (no trailer)
Old 06-20-2004, 05:24   #7 (permalink)

If it's an MSD Pro-Billet install the black bushing to give you 18deg centrifigal advance and that may be enough to help out. With the two heavy silver springs your total would be coming in quite late - 4000rpm+, so you can't do much better there.

Don't know about the advice from your cam supplier, but generally the bigger the cam then usually the more initial advance and less centrifigal. I run 18 static and 18 centrifigal = 36 total, pings it arse off on straight 98 but personally I always use an octane booster - toluene - and it works great for me though some others on this forum disagree.

Check out: Where to buy Toluene?

Also I run an MSD timing retard control with mine so I can dial up my timing on the go, they are a fantastic device.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:51   #8 (permalink)

The retard control sounds good. Is that suitable for use with a ready to run MSD? I dont have a 6AL or anything, just a ready to run dizzy. Will putting the black bush in do anything if its pinging at part throttle only. It stops when you give it a bootfull.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:14   #9 (permalink)

The timing retard only works with the control box's so you luck out there unfortunately. If you've got the dosh a 6AL and timing control is worth it in my view if you are chasing every last bit of HP out of the engine.

If your pinging at part throttle then the timing curve is too fat too early. The black bushing will help.
Old 06-20-2004, 14:53   #10 (permalink)

roll Re: Engine pinging when towing

I dont want a 6AL because I have nowhere to put it. Except maybe under the driver's seat and I cant be bothered with all that mucking around. The main reason I didnt get one is that my tacho wont work with it. The tach adaptor and retard control is just extra wiring, and in my opinion complications that I dont need. I even bought a mechanical fuel pump to save on wiring. What I have now is quite neat, just 3 wires and the coil mounted under the battery tray where its easy to hook up the main harness. I would like a rev limiter though to protect my motor from dickheads and mechanics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech