Engine swap legals - advice please! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2004, 01:25   #1 (permalink)
'77 XC Wagon in progress

Engine swap legals - advice please!

OK, so I've now decided to remove finger from arse and will be rebuilding my 351 in the near future.

Questions about updated rego and all that - what's required? I'm not bothered about ADR27A as the engine I'm putting in is from a Marquis made the same year, so I have to find my way around that.

But what about the different block? My ZH has currently got a ZF block in it (God only knows why - perhaps to avoid ADR27A?) and of course, the engine number will change again when I drop in my fresh 351. As there are, I'm sure, many of you here who've done a similar thing, how do I go about getting the registration documentation changed? And crucially, will they pull me up on ADR27A? Do they have to see the engine, or will a piece of paper saying that I am the rightful owner be enough?
Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2004, 01:33   #2 (permalink)
Approach with caution.

Re: Engine swap legals - advice please!

Im not sure why you believe block dates are relevant, for the purposes of what you're trying to do a cleveland block is a cleveland block, 302 and 351 are the same, 72 to 82 are basically the same.
The numbers stamped on it are for id purposes, not to make it comply with any emmision requirements.
If you're not interested in ADR compliance just change the engine and tell the authorities it has a new engine number, or just rebuild the current motor.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 01:43   #3 (permalink)
'77 XC Wagon in progress

Is it really that straightforward? I was under the impression that I'd have to jump through a few more hoops than that!
Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 01:52   #4 (permalink)
heard it before!

don't know about Qld but in vic all you have to do is meet the pollution specs of whichever is later motor or car for eg: if you put motor from XE into XY you would need to put all pollution gear from XE in aswell.
what you're planning should be a snack if in VIC don't know about you're state
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 01:54   #5 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

Just an engine number upgrade - contact your local rego authorities once the engine is in, and get the number changed (generally it is a visual inspection of the number and the right form filled out). Also let your insurance company know.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:13   #6 (permalink)
Approach with caution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deankdx
don't know about Qld but in vic all you have to do is meet the pollution specs of whichever is later motor or car for eg: if you put motor from XE into XY you would need to put all pollution gear from XE in aswell.
what you're planning should be a snack if in VIC don't know about you're state
NOPE - I think you'll find in Victoria its the CAR that must comply with emmision laws as per the compliance plate fitted to the vehicle, an XE motor in an XY would have to comply with XY emmision regs.
Vic roads would have no idea how to decode a ford engine number!
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 02:32   #7 (permalink)
heard it before!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
NOPE - I think you'll find in Victoria its the CAR that must comply with emmision laws as per the compliance plate fitted to the vehicle, an XE motor in an XY would have to comply with XY emmision regs.
Vic roads would have no idea how to decode a ford engine number!
i hope you are right cos i'm thinking of an XG4.0 into an XE or XF PRE '86 at some stage and i might be cheating a bit if i can no CAT for EG.
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech