Excessive smoke after engine warms up - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2005, 14:28   #1 (permalink)

Excessive smoke after engine warms up

Howdy Good People,

You guys may have answered this, I have checked previous posts, but nothing, so; I have a 302 which has a mild cam up grade, RPM performer intake, with 600 Edelbroke Cam manual choke. I switched from a 2bbl to a 4 bbl. Everything else is stock.

When i start it, which is hard when cold, it does not smoke, but when it gets warmed up I get excessive white smoke. ANY BODY GOT ANY IDEAS?

Spark plugs are dry and no build-up (at least 1-4)
71 Torino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2005, 17:59   #2 (permalink)

Re: Excessive smoke after engine warms up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 Torino
Howdy Good People,

You guys may have answered this, I have checked previous posts, but nothing, so; I have a 302 which has a mild cam up grade, RPM performer intake, with 600 Edelbroke Cam manual choke. I switched from a 2bbl to a 4 bbl. Everything else is stock.

When i start it, which is hard when cold, it does not smoke, but when it gets warmed up I get excessive white smoke. ANY BODY GOT ANY IDEAS?

is it using any water ?
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 18:07   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 Torino
Howdy Good People,

Some more info from you will help.
Hard to cold start means ?? - does it fire, then stall continuously; no cylinders firing at all; some cylinders fire; or does it flood, run rough and stall?

When white smoke comes out - is it at idle?; or when being revved; or being driven.

White smoke, imo, usually means a lean condition. When my cars have had that condition it has happened on highway only but spark plugs still read well.

If I remember correctly a leaking intake manifold can cause the same problem.
northey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 20:11   #4 (permalink)

white smoke is sometimes associated with trans fluid being sucked into the manifold thru the trans vac modulator
Old 12-10-2005, 00:29   #5 (permalink)

Howdy.......and welcome to Ford Forums

For the hard to start part, try checking your points condition and gap.

Yeah, when you say white, I think trans fluid. If the cooler lines are blocked (and once the fluid heats up) it can vent theu the breather on top of the trans. But i assume this is smoke coming out of your exhaust pipe(s)?

If it's fuel, it will be more of a grey or black. Oil leaking is bluey/grey.

Does it smoke in normal cruise or only with your foot flat?

What condidtion are your plugs (other than not oily)? They can tell whether you're running rich or lean. Have a look at this link....

http://www.dansmc.com/spark_plugs/sp...s_catalog.html
Old 12-12-2005, 03:17   #6 (permalink)
old B - new B

possibly a leaking inlet manifold gasget sucking in oil fumes from the valley of the engine.

this would make it hard to start - sucking air, and give the white smoke when hot - from the oil.

another thing that make white/pale blue smoke is the old rubber valve stem seals leaking.
most noticable when you back off the throttle.
WWW.sunshield.biz
351cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 04:21   #7 (permalink)

Stem seals..
never seen em leak on back off (maybe they weren't that bad)
But on extended overrun/gear braking, once power is applied, the world behind dissapears :)

but the others are right..not enough info, and some definite time required by knowledgable people to diagnose efficiently

Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 05:51   #8 (permalink)
Hanging Around

Valve stem seals will cause smoke between gears on a manual, if they are leaking -
when backing off the accelerator vacuum is created in the intake port which sucks the excess oil from the vavle and on the next cycle it gets burnt, therefore smoke.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:42   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atec77
is it using any water ?
No. that appears to be fine
Old 12-12-2005, 06:53   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by northey
Some more info from you will help.
Hard to cold start means ?? - does it fire, then stall continuously; no cylinders firing at all; some cylinders fire; or does it flood, run rough and stall?

When white smoke comes out - is it at idle?; or when being revved; or being driven.

White smoke, imo, usually means a lean condition. When my cars have had that condition it has happened on highway only but spark plugs still read well.

If I remember correctly a leaking intake manifold can cause the same problem.
Hard to cold start means : If I don't start it for a couple of days, it will fire up then shut off. It's like the engine slowly dies down (only stays started for 5 secs), then shuts off. I have to step on the gas when it dies down to get the engine to stay on. Then its runs, but then rpm 's fluctuate, 950 to 1000, 1000 to 900, 900 to 1000, 1000 to 950.

The white smoke comes after it has warmed up or it gets to operating temp. I have adjusted the idle and carb ( idle higher carb leaner/ Idle lower carb richer). Unfortunatly i don't have a vaccum gage and the timing piont on the block has been broken off. Currently, the rpm on the tach reads 950 at idle currently, seems to runs kinda rough. both valves on the carb is set at a 3/4 turn from the seated position. Now, it goes away for awhile then comes back. The more I open the valves, say 1 3/4 turn from seated position, the more smoke I get. I am confused.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech