Ford Forums banner

Extractors heating cabin

3K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  XR9UTE 
#1 ·
Hi,

I just put on extractors on my el the other week and I noticed that when I went for a bearfoot drive yesterday the floor under my feet was very warm. Is this normal? Is it because there is no heat guard on there anymore? has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks

#4 ·
Try ceramic coating or there is a fibreglass fire blanket that I have used held on outside foor with thin panel steel /s.t screws..

#6 ·
Mate i have the exact same problem with my EL XR8 after i got pacemakers on it. Drive the car for a while and at your feet you can start to feel the heat. also at the back seat floor what you could call transmission tunnel heats up too from the heat on the exhaust. its got all heat protective shit but doesnt help.
found to put aircon on feet to solve problem

#8 ·
try and replace the heat shielding - get a new peice of steel/tin and shape it to fit, so it covers the whole area that gets hot, with an extra 10cm or so at each end that can be bent to rest on the exhaust pipe.

make sure its about equi-distant from both the exhaust and the floor, get two radiator hose clamps (have to be big to fit around the exhaust) and clamp the shield to the exhaust.

if you were really keen you could get the shield HPC coated, that stuff is amazing!

one of my dads friends has a 454 in his HQ, extractors are HPC coated and you can nearly touch them after a long drive, the heat just doesnt get out.

try the shield, if that doesnt work get it coated, or just get the exhaust coated where it is hottest maybe, but the shield is the cheapest option

#9 ·
I just put on extractors on my el the other week and I noticed that when I went for a bearfoot drive yesterday the floor under my feet was very warm. Is this normal? Is it because there is no heat guard on there anymore? has anyone else noticed this?
I got a quote last year from this place, i got the number from Glenroy Exhaust but can't find it now (call them and ask the number if your interested.. 93080310) Anyway you can have your headers ceramic coated for $170(outside), &(inside/out) for about $260. Apparently it lasts a lifetime. I can't remember the actual prices but it was around that mark.
And as Rollin mentioned, the shield is the cheapest option.

#10 ·
Heat shield

Mate, dont bother about the heatwrap, get some of that high-stick heat shield that is found underneath most cars these days. Its sold in different rectangular sizes, and sticks to the underside of the chassis where the exhaust sits. This cuts back alot of heat. Ford should have some spare in their Pre-Delivery section as it needs to be applied when heavy duty TowPacks are installed. They never use all shields and usually have a left-over parts bin. See how you go at your Ford dealer then go aftermarket if no luck there.

ViGiLaNtE

#11 ·
ELBoy

There is no substitute for ceramic coating. Go for the HPC Coating. It will definately reduce the temperature under the bonnet thus less heat travelling into the cabin.

Besides decreasing the temperature, your extractors will last longer. Less temperature under the bonnet means the engine will perform better, the gas flow will be improved through the whole exhaust system. It is definately worth it.

G
#14 ·
tonyk said:
hahahaha.. you dont know heat.....
Try a 460 in a XD with pacemaker triwires.
Theres some damn heat!!!!
Yeah Tone! Or even a 351c with 4 into 1 pacemakers in an XE!
How's the D going BTW?

To answer ELboys' question... ceramic coated headers certainly help but any car with a cat is going to get hotter ahead of the cat than one without. The best way is to modify the factory type heat shields to fit your car, making sure that you maintain the air gap between the exhaust and the shield and shield to body.

Pete.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.