Favourite Displacement. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-04-05, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Approach with caution.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Age: 44
Posts: 1,043
Favourite Displacement.

Guys,
if you were building a CC 4V headed clevo ( i know alloys are better but ive got the heads already) what would be your favourite displacement? and why?
eg:357, 383, 393, 408?
Limitations are: 4MAB crank must be used, rpm limited to 6500 ish and manifold is limited to Torker or accelerator.
Cam specs are solid: 580/600 lift and 247/255 @ 50.
Thanks for your input.
4Vman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-04-05, 11:09 PM
BLOWNXD
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Perth
Age: 36
Posts: 429
Re: Favourite Displacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Guys,
if you were building a CC 4V headed clevo ( i know alloys are better but ive got the heads already) what would be your favourite displacement? and why?
eg:357, 383, 393, 408?
Limitations are: 4MAB crank must be used, rpm limited to 6500 ish and manifold is limited to Torker or accelerator.
Cam specs are solid: 580/600 lift and 247/255 @ 50.
Thanks for your input.
Id have to say 408 mainly because you know the age old saying "theres no substitute for cubic inches" generally the more cubes the more power, ive got a similar setup to what youve posted except 3v heads, slightly more lift and a TFC manifold and im more than happy with the results. Nothing wrong with the 4vs BTW theres a guy over here in perth running a 351 standard stroke clevo 4v filled heads (port tongued) behind a manual getting 450RWHP out of it
XD408 is offline  
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-04-05, 11:59 PM
74 XB Fairmont
 
brenx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cranbourne, Vic
Posts: 5,113
Re: Favourite Displacement.

Going by what you've posted and prior knowlege that 4V headed engines like to rev. I'd say 383 because anything larger limits rev's.

Other the otherside of things though a 393/408 due to the displacement will fill the heads better @ lower rpm.

The biggest killer of an engine is slow windspeed. Slow windspeed @ low rpm means you'll make power up higher in the rpm on a 351. A lot higher! Like Falcon coupes 4V engine for example. It a 351 4V and makes max power @ 7800 (if I remember correctly). Hence why people fill the ports.

So really it's personal preference and $ si all it comes down too.

Brenden

XB Fairmont (street car) 11.07@123.02mph.
brenx is offline  
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-05, 03:17 AM
Registered User
 
xdclevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Cairns
Posts: 1,946
Re: Favourite Displacement.

There are lots of guys running 408ci clevelands. Ask Nick (dodgestang) about his. Makes good power and seems very reliable, along with a fair few others from the 335 forum. The more cubes the motor, the better airspeed with the same size ports(big 4v's) as brenx said.

But, if you must run 4AMB crank, i think there is a limit to what stroke you can machine to, so i doubt you could get close to a 408. I think the limit it 378??? due to the size of conrod journal you must machine to while offset grinding to the chev journal size or similar. I havn't had any experiance with stroking, but if you wany big cubes, you need the aftermarket crank to acheive this.

10.70 @ 125.00 on the black fun top
408 Cube Cleveland.
xdclevo is offline  
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-05, 03:31 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a house....
Posts: 311
Re: Favourite Displacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Guys,
if you were building a CC 4V headed clevo ( i know alloys are better but ive got the heads already) what would be your favourite displacement? and why?
eg:357, 383, 393, 408?
Limitations are: 4MAB crank must be used, rpm limited to 6500 ish and manifold is limited to Torker or accelerator.
Cam specs are solid: 580/600 lift and 247/255 @ 50.
Thanks for your input.
Put a Windsor in it Norm,you know you want to!LOL

"There is only Bathurst the rest is just waiting"......
balinor is offline  
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-05, 05:49 AM
Registered User
 
xdclevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Cairns
Posts: 1,946
Re: Favourite Displacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balinor
Put a Windsor in it Norm,you know you want to!LOL
If he wants a nice strong motor(and it will be) to run to 6500, it will live all year round with the clevo block. If he was after 600rwhp, it may be a different story. Weezer.. Yeah sure!

10.70 @ 125.00 on the black fun top
408 Cube Cleveland.
xdclevo is offline  
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-05, 06:13 AM
FRITZZ
 
fritzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: waroona w.a.
Age: 27
Posts: 81
Re: Favourite Displacement.

378 makes a nice combo
fritzz is offline  
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-05, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Approach with caution.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Age: 44
Posts: 1,043
Re: Favourite Displacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdclevo
If he wants a nice strong motor(and it will be) to run to 6500, it will live all year round with the clevo block. If he was after 600rwhp, it may be a different story. Weezer.. Yeah sure!
Correct! wheezer??? no thanks.. id rather push my car..... Clevo will out last the tin foil block wheezers all day long...
4Vman is offline  
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-05, 09:06 AM
Cursed
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cecil County, MD
Age: 96
Posts: 9
Re: Favourite Displacement.

I like the 408 but I am partial...I don't think you can make one with that crank though.

393 is also nice since you can get the oil rings out of pin land, something I haven't seen yet on 408 clevelands.

My 408 makes peak power at 7k using an xclerator intake, 7k is also where I set my personal white knuckled rev limiter . I run a similar cam profile but in flat tappet hydro (.585/.588 IIRC) so you should make a bit more power than I do with everything else being equal.

A friends 408 with a little larger solid cam and jensel rockers using stock 4v heads (as in no porting but aftermarket valves) makes well over 400 ft lbs and I think he put it up over 500 HP. I can't find his dyno sheet or I would link if for you.
dodgestang is offline  
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-05, 05:56 PM
BLOWNXD
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Perth
Age: 36
Posts: 429
Re: Favourite Displacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgestang
I like the 408 but I am partial...I don't think you can make one with that crank though.

393 is also nice since you can get the oil rings out of pin land, something I haven't seen yet on 408 clevelands.

My 408 makes peak power at 7k using an xclerator intake, 7k is also where I set my personal white knuckled rev limiter . I run a similar cam profile but in flat tappet hydro (.585/.588 IIRC) so you should make a bit more power than I do with everything else being equal.

A friends 408 with a little larger solid cam and jensel rockers using stock 4v heads (as in no porting but aftermarket valves) makes well over 400 ft lbs and I think he put it up over 500 HP. I can't find his dyno sheet or I would link if for you.
Just out of curiosity what sought of HP and torque is your 408 making dodgestang???
XD408 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's your favourite engine note? XRated The Pub 81 09-22-04 04:45 AM
What's your favourite Movie ? GTP 320 The Pub 54 05-23-04 07:49 AM
What's your favourite Movie ? GTP 320 The Pub 26 05-09-04 07:13 AM
Talking about favourite Restaurant's ? GTP 320 The Pub 39 04-21-04 06:16 AM
Your Favourite Series Falcon? Tim_EF_5.0 The Pub 33 09-26-01 02:06 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome