Final Questions before I start.... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2004, 02:06   #1 (permalink)
XB Pilot

Final Questions before I start....

Okay guys, in the weekend I remove the 351c from the fairlane and transplant it to the XB.
I just did an indepth inspection and everything seems straight forward apart from the fact that there is just a lot to do.

Though I have some questions for you all:

The fuel lines are in different places. In the fairlane the fuel line exits towards the front on the passenger front guard, while on the xb in comes up from the transmission tunnel.
What should I do about this?

Since I'm swapping the the XB drum brake diff for the Disc brake fairlane diff, do I have to swap the proportioning valve thingy that comes after the master cylinder??

Are there any other things I need to watch out for? My last engine swap was just that, a straight swap, and I haven't done a conversion swap before.

Any info would be great.

Simon
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2004, 02:20   #2 (permalink)
Mr Slippery

Re: Final Questions before I start....

the xb has the same hole for the fuel line in front of the passanger side shocker tower if not drill one put gromet and run it there, if you want to use legit parts go to pick a part and pull of that piece of steel line from any xa,b,c or zh fairlane as they are pretty common and use it.

you could use the line you have now but it would be nice n close to the motor and exhaust and just not worth the hassle, as for the master cylinder there is a valve inside you yoink out and it will work on discs too, your other option use an xc/zh booster and mastercylinder (plastic one)
Old 02-19-2004, 02:27   #3 (permalink)
Mr Slippery

just a question 4 you, did u change the cam to at least a pre polloution style one and advance the cam timing back to staright up, if you havent dont expect the car to pull to hard off the line or anywhere else really except maybe down hill.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:29   #4 (permalink)
XB Pilot

Can you explain a bit more about the valve thingy.

Getting other parts before the weekend is pretty much out of the question.

As for the fuel line, can I cut the fairlanes where the xb's stops, get a small piece of fuel line and clamps and just put the cut piece on the xb and fit it so it comes out in the right place? Then just put the xb's fuel line onto the fairlane?

Simon
Old 02-19-2004, 02:31   #5 (permalink)
XB Pilot

its an engine that come from an XB coupe, went into the fairlane and now into the XB sedan.
Its a pre polution engine and goes real good.

Why did you ask that question?
Old 02-19-2004, 02:51   #6 (permalink)
Mr Slippery

just asked becuase i figured its probably out of a zh/zj fairlane and they are common for guys doing swaps and they are shit house cam setups intentially that way to reduce emisions, putting in a pre poloution cam or even slightly bigger than standard pre poloution gives you more go and less fuel usage.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:53   #7 (permalink)
Mr Slippery

just asked becuase i figured its probably out of a zh/zj fairlane and they are common for guys doing swaps and they are shit house cam setups intentionally that way to reduce emisions, putting in a pre poloution cam or even slightly bigger than standard pre poloution gives you more go and less fuel usage.
Old 02-19-2004, 19:47   #8 (permalink)

"as for the master cylinder there is a valve inside you yoink out and it will work on discs too,"
I'm sorry, not really accurate.

With regard to the brakes .......

The 1st valve "thingy" is called a residual valve. It is fitted to the drum brake circuit of the master cylinder. It's purpose is to mantain about 10psi fluid pressure in the rear slave cylinders to prevent air drawing back past the cups. If disc calipers are connected to a drum master cylinder, this residual pressure will cause the pad to drag on the disc. Yes, it is possible but not feasable to remove the residual valve.

The second difference with disc master cylinders is the fluid volume. If you look at the two, the disc/disc master is much taller than the disc/drum one. This extra fluid volume allows for the greater displacement of fluid in the rear calipers as the pads wear. If you use the disc/drum master (with residual valve removed) you pose the risk of running out of fluid when the pads wear down.

The 2nd valve thingy is the proportioning valve, fitted below the master cylinder which the brake lines run through. The proportioning valve controls front/rear brake balance. You must use it with the discs.

Fuel line: try and keep the system as suited the motor. If you must cut and join, do it between secure, clamped lengths of the line, like where it is clamped to the rail. If necessary, add a few line-to-chassis clamps. You SHOULD be putting a ball flare onto each cut end. The stops the rubber "joiner" being able to slide off. You can do this later or take it to you local brake shop and ask them to do it. Or hire a flare tool.

Think about this; what are two things that can kill you in a car?
No Brakes.
Fire.
fairlanebyford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 02:39   #9 (permalink)
XB Pilot

Thanks fairlanebyford,

Good points and info. I don't intend to drive the car much at all until all these things are taken care of.

I won't swap the diffs over this weekend, not enough time.

But so far both engines and gearboxes have been removed (though the kennards hoist wasn't that helpful) and all other accessories had been removed, but I got stuck on the power steering.

Please read my ne thread in the suspension section cuase I need as much help as possible.

Thanks

Simon
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech