Finally found decent Clevo block - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2006, 03:40   #1 (permalink)

Finally found decent Clevo block

Finally, on the fifth attempt, I found a Clevo block that sonic-tested good. The thinnest reading was .131" (just over 3mm). The best part is that I bought it for $50 on Ebay, sight unseen! Just goes to show that they can turn up anywhere.
While at my parts supplier today, I also saw the sonic reports on 2 XE coded 4-bolt blocks. Both tested worse than the worst Clevo I had tested. Both had less than .070" wall thickness. Someone's going to be very disappointed, considering XE 4-bolts sell for $1500 to $2500.
At least I can start my engine re-build now. No doubt I will have a few questions & will be seeking advice from you blokes/girls.
tufLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2006, 03:52   #2 (permalink)
Southern Coupe

Re: Finally found decent Clevo block

jeez, makes you wonder aye - what is considered to be a good thickness as a base to work from??
CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 03:59   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJR09
jeez, makes you wonder aye - what is considered to be a good thickness as a base to work from??
Minimum .120" with standard bore. You can allow a bit thinner if it's at the bottom of the bore as it's usually better reinforced, especially if you're going to grout-fill the block.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:02   #4 (permalink)

mine was .220 thinnest and i found it at the scrap yard with std bore , trick said .120 was thinnest he,d use for 650hp with 10 pound boost
pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 03:39   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkbits
mine was .220 thinnest and i found it at the scrap yard with std bore , trick said .120 was thinnest he,d use for 650hp with 10 pound boost
.220" thinnest, that would have to be one of the best Clevo blocks around! You sure scored well with that one.
Old 02-06-2006, 16:21   #6 (permalink)
ZK 351

whats a sonic check worth?
Old 02-06-2006, 19:44   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufLTD
Finally, on the fifth attempt, I found a Clevo block that sonic-tested good. The thinnest reading was .131" (just over 3mm). The best part is that I bought it for $50 on Ebay, sight unseen! Just goes to show that they can turn up anywhere.
While at my parts supplier today, I also saw the sonic reports on 2 XE coded 4-bolt blocks. Both tested worse than the worst Clevo I had tested. Both had less than .070" wall thickness. Someone's going to be very disappointed, considering XE 4-bolts sell for $1500 to $2500.
At least I can start my engine re-build now. No doubt I will have a few questions & will be seeking advice from you blokes/girls.
Iguess you forgot about those blocks I offered ?
sold one of them and tested well for the new owner ...
\pleased you found one anyway
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 20:47   #8 (permalink)

i thiunk mine cost $200 to get cleaned and tested from trick and manswetto racing in sydney ,
when your m,aking a $20 g engine , $200 isnt much at all , but geez them $200 bits and pieces sure add up
i was surprised also when he told me as it was heaps thicker than the minimum required
pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 23:55   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atec77
Iguess you forgot about those blocks I offered ?
sold one of them and tested well for the new owner ...
\pleased you found one anyway
G'day Barry,
I didn't forget about the blocks, it's just hard finding the time to come to Brissy & pull a motor out. I did appreciate the offer though.
P.S.The 'libation' was more like 'paralysation', wicked white man's firewater!Did you milk the fuel from a top fueler & bottle it??????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech