Fired the engine up, couple of Q's - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2005, 21:37   #1 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

Fired the engine up, couple of Q's

Hey folks, I finally fired the 302 up for the first time and was in the process of running in the cam. After about 1 - 2 mins of running I heard a very weird high pitched "squealing" noise. Any ideas what this is? It's not a rattley noise but a very high pitched squeal, it doesn't sound like it's doing any damage but I don't want to take an risks.

My other question is regarding exhaust smoke. Is it normal for the exhaust to blow alot of smoke initially, or have I stuffed something up? It seems to be blowing quite alot of smoke, most of it coming out where the manifold joins the pipe (I must have done a shitty job of bolting up those pain in the ass bolts). Other than those two issues it fired up first time and sounds good. I don't want to continue the run in until I've sussed the noise out.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2005, 22:04   #2 (permalink)

Re: Fired the engine up, couple of Q's

intially it will blow a bit of smoke as all that assy oil when puttin the pistons in and lubing the valves etc. it should subside squeeloing noise?? prolly as silly as a belt that may hav been put on wif oily hands or not tensioned
ziggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 22:36   #3 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

I still can't figure out that squealing noise, can't find any obvious vacuum leaks but the noise is really fricken annoying. It's not running very well, if I give the throttle a quick kick it just backfires, which is frustrating. I think I'll finish the cam run-in then give the car to a good mechanic to finish off all the little loose ends. I don't have a timing light so the timing is no doubt a mile off.
Old 06-25-2005, 23:15   #4 (permalink)
Death by Ford

Are you running coolant? It could be just the non lubricated water pump making a few noises. Mine used to make squealing noises when flushing radiator out with 100% water.
CLEVELAND JUNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 00:04   #5 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

There is coolant in the system :)
Old 06-26-2005, 01:56   #6 (permalink)

You'll find after an engine rebuild you'll probably have spilled oil etc or covered the extractors with dirty greasy hands. This burns off and gives the appearance of leaking maniold gaskits etc but will subside after a little heating up and burning off. That being said - keep an eye on it to make sure there's nothing else.

Your timing etc is most likely a little out. You can try adjusting the timing a little. Normally the bog down is due to retarded timing - rotate the dissy until the revs pick up a little (ie advance it 1/2 to 1cm) and see how that goes........if its then revving too high, just wind out the fast idle screw on the carb.

Squeel noise - most likely a fan belt / power steering belt. It's hard to get a sufficient tension on by yourself. I use a small prybar (mini crow bar) or giant screw driver. Slide it inbetween the body of the alternator and where its bolted to the engine. You can then lever some decent tight tension on the belt as you tighten with a socket in the other hand.

It could also be a squeely bearing in the alternator casing or front of the water pump. Most likely a belt though.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:51   #7 (permalink)

An airleak at the carby/manifold can cause a whistleing noise.
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 05:23   #8 (permalink)
ESP Man

Might even be the hole you plugged in the inlet manifold that you mentioned in another thread

If its mechanical, (belt or bearing) you should be able to pick it by listening with a big screwdriver. Put the blade end on say the water pump near the shaft bearing and your ear on the handle end while the motor is running.

Try this on the heads and listen to your tappets!!!! Hear the loose ones!!

If the noise is air leak you won't find it this way but at least you will have eliminated the mechanical sources
Old 06-26-2005, 05:52   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gayner
I still can't figure out that squealing noise, can't find any obvious vacuum leaks but the noise is really fricken annoying. It's not running very well, if I give the throttle a quick kick it just backfires, which is frustrating. I think I'll finish the cam run-in then give the car to a good mechanic to finish off all the little loose ends. I don't have a timing light so the timing is no doubt a mile off.
I can,t believe that someone would go to the troble of building an engine and in the process spend a fair bit of cash and then not go out and buy a friggin 20 dollar timing light!!!. Timing is one of the first things to set when your engine is up and running initially..Mike ,if you have no idea what you are doing then pay someone who does know otherwise the results can spell disaster.
russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 06:13   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by russxr67
I can,t believe that someone would go to the troble of building an engine and in the process spend a fair bit of cash and then not go out and buy a friggin 20 dollar timing light!!!. Timing is one of the first things to set when your engine is up and running initially..Mike ,if you have no idea what you are doing then pay someone who does know otherwise the results can spell disaster.
If you dont have a light set No1 Piston on TDC Comp stroke, loosen the dizzy turn the engine to the desired timing setting on the balancer say 10 or 12 degrees BTDC. Then make sure the rotor button is pointing directly at NO 1 spark plug lead at the dizzy cap, tighten the dizzy and off you go.
CRUISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech