Fitting new BG Carby - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2005, 21:52   #1 (permalink)
82XE 351c

Fitting new BG Carby

Hey all,
Got my new carby today and will be fitting it tonight/tomorrow.
whats the path I want to follow here?

I have heard with new BG's its a good practice to take the bowls and plates off and clean them. anything else?

-has anyone installed an optional choke on a speed series before? no instructions were given.

So once the carb is clean, What to do? can you fella's make a short list please?....

I am thinking, prime the carb by injecting fuel, take coil lead off and crank motor til bowls are full?

this sounds dumb, but I have never needed a new carb, so I have never started a car with a brand new dry carby before!
ps. I have a mech fuel pump.

can someone run through somethings I will need to do/watch with a new carb install please?

do the bowls have to be to a certain torque on BG's? or just nip like all holley's.

thanks guys
pracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2005, 01:27   #2 (permalink)
'60 F100 Q-Code

Re: Fitting new BG Carby

Quote:
Originally Posted by pracy
I am thinking, prime the carb by injecting fuel, take coil lead off and crank motor til bowls are full?
...let me preface by saying that I don't have any BG carb experience.

You shouldn't need to crank the engine to fill the bowls. Just dribble a bit of fuel into each vent tube and then splash a dab down the primaries and fire it up. Sometimes it takes a couple of splashes before the engine has turned enough to completely fill the fuel bowls, but it will turn much more rapidly than cranking on the starter!

What I usually do on a fresh engine with no electric fuel pump (fairly rare these days) is to fill the bowls through the float sight plugs using a fuel-resistive squirt bottle. I manually move the accelerator until jets of fuel come out of the squirters (accelerator pump circuits). Then I give a short squirt from the bottle and crank it up. A couple of quick pumps of the pedal are usually enough to get things going so that you don't have to get out and do it again. When you think about a mechanical fuel pump that can deliver only 2 GPM, in 10 seconds it is going to move ~43 ounces of fuel in those 10 seconds. It won't take very long to fill your float bowls.

One of the things that I do on my Holley carbs before installing them is to preset my float levels. I'm guessing that the same can be done for a BG carb, too. Also, be sure to use a good quality fuel pressure regulator set to a starting point maximum of about 4.5-5 psi. Adjust upwards if required.

:davis:
davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech