Ford Forums banner

Fitting new BG Carby

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  davis 
#1 ·
Hey all,
Got my new carby today and will be fitting it tonight/tomorrow.
whats the path I want to follow here?

I have heard with new BG's its a good practice to take the bowls and plates off and clean them. anything else?

-has anyone installed an optional choke on a speed series before? no instructions were given.

So once the carb is clean, What to do? can you fella's make a short list please?....

I am thinking, prime the carb by injecting fuel, take coil lead off and crank motor til bowls are full?

this sounds dumb, but I have never needed a new carb, so I have never started a car with a brand new dry carby before!
ps. I have a mech fuel pump.

can someone run through somethings I will need to do/watch with a new carb install please?

do the bowls have to be to a certain torque on BG's? or just nip like all holley's.

thanks guys

See less See more
#2 ·
pracy said:
I am thinking, prime the carb by injecting fuel, take coil lead off and crank motor til bowls are full?
...let me preface by saying that I don't have any BG carb experience.

You shouldn't need to crank the engine to fill the bowls. Just dribble a bit of fuel into each vent tube and then splash a dab down the primaries and fire it up. Sometimes it takes a couple of splashes before the engine has turned enough to completely fill the fuel bowls, but it will turn much more rapidly than cranking on the starter!

What I usually do on a fresh engine with no electric fuel pump (fairly rare these days) is to fill the bowls through the float sight plugs using a fuel-resistive squirt bottle. I manually move the accelerator until jets of fuel come out of the squirters (accelerator pump circuits). Then I give a short squirt from the bottle and crank it up. A couple of quick pumps of the pedal are usually enough to get things going so that you don't have to get out and do it again. When you think about a mechanical fuel pump that can deliver only 2 GPM, in 10 seconds it is going to move ~43 ounces of fuel in those 10 seconds. It won't take very long to fill your float bowls.

One of the things that I do on my Holley carbs before installing them is to preset my float levels. I'm guessing that the same can be done for a BG carb, too. Also, be sure to use a good quality fuel pressure regulator set to a starting point maximum of about 4.5-5 psi. Adjust upwards if required.

:davis:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.