forgies or hypers - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2004, 04:21   #1 (permalink)
UCNTRY

forgies or hypers

hey this is mainly to xdclevo my the pistons in my motor are L2379 and when you quoted your part number you said they are L2379F now could this mean i have hypers in mine how do you tell the difference between the two
UCNTRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2004, 05:29   #2 (permalink)

Re: forgies or hypers

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCNTRY
hey this is mainly to xdclevo my the pistons in my motor are L2379 and when you quoted your part number you said they are L2379F now could this mean i have hypers in mine how do you tell the difference between the two
Yeah, i never thought they made a standard, but maybe they do.
I can't even remember if mine had the F stamped on the actual piston. This is what i found on the TRW L2379F. It also answers other things i allways wondered about like valve releife volume and clearance. My spec sheet lists them having a min clearance of 1.5 thou, but at the pin. Less than i thought.
_________________________________________________________________Higher compression, longer life.

Piston, Forged, 4.030 in. Bore, 2-5/64, 1-3/16 Rings, Flat Top, Each

Thanks to a special aluminum alloy that doesn't expand as much as other alloys, these Power Forged pistons are designed to fit tight, providing the stability and ring control you need plus the strength you want. Speed-Pro even added ribbed skirts to them for better oil retention and even includes new wrist pins!

Vendor Sealed Power
Product Line Speed-Pro Power Forged Pistons
Bore (in) 4.030
Piston Material Forged aluminum
Piston Style Flat
Compression Distance (in) 1.647
Dish Volume (cc) 1.50
Valve Reliefs Two
Wrist Pin Style Press fit
Pin Diameter (in) 0.9120
Top Ring Thickness 5/64 in.
Second Ring Thickness 5/64 in.
Oil Ring Thickness 3/16 in.
Quantity Sold individually
Old 11-22-2004, 13:24   #3 (permalink)
UCNTRY

ok then so is there any way to tell with out taking them out of the bore if they are hypers or should i just take it down to super balance and get them to measure the piston to bore clearence and then get them to crack test the pistons
Old 11-22-2004, 13:26   #4 (permalink)
UCNTRY

so what are the chances of them having a crack wether they are forgies or hypers
Old 11-23-2004, 04:15   #5 (permalink)
UCNTRY

does anyone on here no how to tell the difference
Old 11-23-2004, 05:20   #6 (permalink)
Resident Budget Racer

Quote:
ok then so is there any way to tell with out taking them out of the bore if they are hypers or should i just take it down to super balance and get them to measure the piston to bore clearence and then get them to crack test the pistons
I would have someone check it out for you UCNTRY, crack test as well. That was you know exactly what you have, and may be stop you doing damage to the motor and losing the money you have invested.
Work Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 10:07   #7 (permalink)
'60 F100 Q-Code

Quote:
The F indicates forged. No letter indicates cast.

:davis:
davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 19:12   #8 (permalink)

I thought TRW (now Speed Pro) only made the piston 2379 or 2379F as a forged piston to suit the 351 Cleveland with 4V 63cc heads to have approx 10.5:1 compression. I think Sealed power is the name of Speed Pro's cheaper pistons which r cast or hypereutectic pistons. I think anyway !!!
Old 11-24-2004, 23:49   #9 (permalink)
Approach with caution.

while were on the subject does anyone know if the ACL racer series are proper Forged pistons? Are they a good choice for performance stuff?
Some info seems to say they have 2 compression rings while other says they have 1, im confussed!
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 18:59   #10 (permalink)

I'm sure ACL Race Series r all Hypereutectic pistons. Think their good for 400-450 hp and 10-10.5:1 comp ratio. The pistons to suit the 6" 302C rod with the 351C crank came with 2 versions. (I think Part No - 9357) The 2 ring piston with 1 comp ring and the 3 ring piston with 2 comp rings. The 2 ring version which I have r good for the weekend warrior with limited street use cos of oil loss but if u change ur oil every 10,000 km it won't matter (u should anyway). Go to ACL website as they have a Tech Bulletin on the pistons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech