Fuel economy (Yeah right) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2004, 04:22   #1 (permalink)
Nod

Question Fuel economy (Yeah right)

After tuning up the stock 351c in my P5 LTD I fuelled up and went for a drive. 215km's later I re-fuelled and discovered I'd used 45 litres of fuel, thats 4.7 k's per litre. She has a new 600 sq bore Holley and runs smooth but does ping if I use more than about half throttle. Timing is 5* BTDC static and about 34*full (vac advance disconnected). I think the pinging is the LRP fuel.
What sort of fuel economy should I expect because this seems very poor, I've got a mild 350 chev in a Monaro thats giving me twice the performance at near 2/3rds the consumption and without any of the pinging problems, and I drive that hard.
Nod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2004, 06:05   #2 (permalink)

Re: Fuel economy (Yeah right)

Driving hard makes your economy go down in an exponential way!! I always say that "this week" I'm going to drive normally and see what I get.....but it never works!

What gear diff ratio's do you have (or RPM @ 100kmh)?? Overdrive gearbox??

20L/100km (~45L/215km) is about what I get in my 351 XD......but that's running 4.11 gears and screaming at 3300rpm@100kmh. Booting it hard out of every corner and I'd expect about double that! You should be getting way better - TUNING IT UP nice makes a big difference.

Try running BP Ultimate 98 (with a valve addative). I bet your pinging will disappear - you may even be able to crank up the timing a little (which helps economy)! It costs a little more to fill up - BUT - its way better than LRP and it also contains more "energy" for the same amount of LRP - ie:you'll use a less and your economy goes up. LRP is supposedly about 95-96 octane?? I just changed over to BP Ultimate - totally different!

Cheers
Old 02-22-2004, 15:16   #3 (permalink)
Slurry Boostin

To much advance I'd suspect for your motor.

Don't run LRP. Use any kind of premium fuel. I prefer BP Ultimate or Optimax.

Economy is fairly achievable.

I have a fairly warm 351, 750 DP, toploader, 3.9's putting out 234rwkw and I haven't worked out economy yet but drove from Pakenham to Lakes Entrance not creeping along, 120kph pretty much all the way, on around 30 litres. It is roughly 250kms distance.
VS 215i Senator *For Sale*
TTNOS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 01:24   #4 (permalink)
Nod

I'm still to try the 98 PULP but otherwise the engine is fairly well tuned. This car is totally stock with 2.75:1 rear, FMX, 351c and is driven very conservatively (rarely sees over 2500rpm). The only thing I've changed is a new 600 Holley which is causing the engine to run on when I shut it off.
Nod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 04:30   #5 (permalink)
Never enough Horse Power

I have had a little bit done 2 my 351c and around town I have no fuel economy but I like givin it a sqiurt here and there but on a trip its reasonable. About 400 kays to 65 odd litres of Optimax
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech