fuel injection - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2004, 21:14   #1 (permalink)

fuel injection

Hey guys I researching a bit about fuel injection because thats wat I hav planned for the old girl. Just wondering if anyone knows a bit about it or knows where to get info such as selecting injectors, injector angles, what to look for in manifold design?
thanks
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2004, 04:16   #2 (permalink)
EFI 351c TD CORTINA

Re: fuel injection

ive put together a efi setup for my 351c, but ive had a hard time so far getting it running and tuned. any questions, ask away.
Old 10-25-2004, 20:22   #3 (permalink)

If you speak to the people at efi hardware, than can help with the setting up of a manifold. When I last spoke to them, they told me to just send them my mainfold and they would either weld in or screw in the injector bosses (my choice) and also make the fuel rail for it, can't remember the cost but it was cheap.

Injector size will depend on your setup, best to ask you engine builder or tuner for advise on that. It is an expensive exercise if you pick the wrong ones.

As for manifolds, as far as I know the same rules apply as if it was a carby motor. So whatever your intended use is, pick the right manifold. I have always been of the impression dual plane = torque and single plane = hp.

Hope this was some help, Luke
XDSLIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 21:25   #4 (permalink)

Don't write off the option of single-point fuel injection. You can acquire a 4-barrel injector assembly that bolts on in place of the carby. Doesn't give the precise metering and control capabilities of multipoint, but is still way ahead of a carby for flexibility and it can easily be transferred or removed. Either way you'll need to find someone who's got experience in mapping a system or do some serious self-learning (along with a fair bit of dyno time).

Have a look at these web sites for bits and pieces:
http://www.speed-technology.com/ - These guys sell lots of bits.
http://www.emergent.com.au/200sx/ecudata.html - This is a comparison of a number of EFI units.

Rgds,
Tacrat
tacrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 00:18   #5 (permalink)
Slurry Boostin

Are you rich or do you want to do it on the cheap?

Wild or Mild?

qwikcorty has setup his engine pretty well himself so he can offer some do's and don'ts.
VS 215i Senator *For Sale*
TTNOS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 00:40   #6 (permalink)

Well I want to start with a MPI setup because I want it to grow from there. basically I want to set it up cheaply and get the thing goin and as I learn to work on it and understand it a bit more then I can go wilder injection/ignition and computer setup. at the moment i want to get most of my stuff from the wreckers. I dont want to complicate it just yet. I just want the minimum no. of sensors and fabricate as much of the stuff myself or just get the help when I need it. I'm just struggling to find info like wat sort of injectors to use for a 351 and their positioning. wat sort of ignition upgrade would I need wat pump would do the job? stuff like this I need equations and stuff.
At the moment it's a 351 with closed chanber heads edelbrock performer intake, hi tech headers, ford elec dizzy, carter carb. I guess I have to base somuch around the ecu. any suggestions for the simplest to set up. I've heard hawk wat do u guys think?
Old 10-26-2004, 00:47   #7 (permalink)
CRAZY, not stupid

If you want to run your setup cheap, one option is always a Mega Squirt computer. A mate of mine has gemini motor running with one and his opinion is that it is easy to use.

Ban Low Performance Drivers, Not High Performance Cars
tnsfci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 01:10   #8 (permalink)
EFI 351c TD CORTINA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy
Well I want to start with a MPI setup because I want it to grow from there. basically I want to set it up cheaply and get the thing goin and as I learn to work on it and understand it a bit more then I can go wilder injection/ignition and computer setup. at the moment i want to get most of my stuff from the wreckers. I dont want to complicate it just yet. I just want the minimum no. of sensors and fabricate as much of the stuff myself or just get the help when I need it. I'm just struggling to find info like wat sort of injectors to use for a 351 and their positioning. wat sort of ignition upgrade would I need wat pump would do the job? stuff like this I need equations and stuff.
At the moment it's a 351 with closed chanber heads edelbrock performer intake, hi tech headers, ford elec dizzy, carter carb. I guess I have to base somuch around the ecu. any suggestions for the simplest to set up. I've heard hawk wat do u guys think?

Ziggy, this is what i did pretty much, the bare minimum to get efi, But its where my problems are i think. I went cheap on the computer, and ive got tuning issues, also had a big bill from mikes dyno after they tried to tune it.

If i were starting again? id buy a new wold 3d, or delco ecu/with kalmaker software.
and a 1000cfm throttle body, 4barrel one, with WORKING tps sensor!
Old 10-27-2004, 04:11   #9 (permalink)
xbgt coupe 378 efi

Arrow Re: fuel injection

gooday ziggy
I have built & am running a xbgt coupe with efi clevo & took me about a year to work it all out but its running ok now what would u like to know

cheers pete
xbhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 14:49   #10 (permalink)

Well I've done a bit more ringingaround and searching, and I've come to the conclusion that my manifold and fuel rails I'll defiately get made up properly. efi hardware sell the throttle body with the tps. ecu is where I'm stuck at the moment, it can make or break the system, wat r u guys running or recomend. The hawkec21 sounds pretty simple and will do everything I want howeva they're askin 1200bucks brand new wif loom. for 1600 I can get a wolf V4 and I can get stuff like boost cntrl, and traction and launch control so later on I can use this stuff.
also read up on this megasquirt system, sounds good and cheap, u do everthing urself, costs you about 300bucks and tune it urself too. but hasn't got ignition control yet, still being developed. I'm loolin 4 a 2nd hand hawkec21 coz efi hardware can set em up.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech