Fuel Lines - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2005, 22:47   #1 (permalink)

Fuel Lines

Currently in the slow process of getting the XD sedan on the road, decided to go with a sedan instead of the ute. Motor is built, auto built and diff built. Looking at upgrading the fuel lines to 1/2 inch. Using a mallory electric fuel pump. What is the best way to do this, i.e the sender lines?? And what fuel line is Legal to use?? rubber, braided etc..
Cheers
378ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2005, 23:32   #2 (permalink)

Re: Fuel Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by 378ute
Currently in the slow process of getting the XD sedan on the road, decided to go with a sedan instead of the ute. Motor is built, auto built and diff built. Looking at upgrading the fuel lines to 1/2 inch. Using a mallory electric fuel pump. What is the best way to do this, i.e the sender lines?? And what fuel line is Legal to use?? rubber, braided etc..
Cheers
I am in the process of upgrading my brothers XB fuel line. I purchased 13mm OD hydraulic steel line from a hydralics place. It is same dimensions as 1/2" copper and was $20 for 6m length. A good copper pipe bender works. The pickup in the tank can either be replaced or run the bigger one beside the original (remember fuel guage sender is on it)
silicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 23:57   #3 (permalink)
XFFAIRMONT

Quote:
Cheers
I know that you must have a hard line running under the car from the rear to the front. They won't pass a rubber fuel line running under the car. I have to upgrade my fuel lines also. Will be going 1/2" from tank to pump, then braided 3/8" from pump to dp carb. My problem is what do i do with the standard pickup? Theres no point having a 5/16" pickup then 1/2" fuel line.
Old 06-29-2005, 00:07   #4 (permalink)
The Deputy Dogg.

Use the standard pickup to run another fuel pump and line for the direct port nitrous.
Old 06-29-2005, 00:07   #5 (permalink)
Big Motor Top Loader !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFFAIRMONT
I know that you must have a hard line running under the car from the rear to the front. They won't pass a rubber fuel line running under the car. I have to upgrade my fuel lines also. Will be going 1/2" from tank to pump, then braided 3/8" from pump to dp carb. My problem is what do i do with the standard pickup? Theres no point having a 5/16" pickup then 1/2" fuel line.
Buy a modified 1/2 inch pickup

Part #:
FSU1/2-02
http://www.falcongt.com.au/
xrgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 00:17   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrgt
Buy a modified 1/2 inch pickup

Part #:
FSU1/2-02
http://www.falcongt.com.au/

I bought one of those and take it from me don't waste your money.The gauge has never read correctly and I ran out of fuel about 4 times after I installed it.If your sender read well keep it and modify it yourself.Remove it and strip off all bits.Then very carefully remove the 5/16 pipe.Enlarge the hole with a file and get a 1/2" copper pipe and soft solder it in there.Just remember to make 1/2" pipe long enough to reach at least 1/2 way back it the tank.lol
george 351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 00:18   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Cheers
I did this a few years ago in my XD sedan. I just bought some 1/2 stainless pipe from Enzed, and bent 90 degrees at the end, and flared so the 1/2 hose holds on nice. I removed the existing small steel pipe with care, as the electronic sender is very close. I then drilled the sender unit top and also the suporting bracket at the bottom. I made these sizes very close to the 1/2 pipe OD size, so it was a very tight slide fit. I then just used devon plastic steel to seal it all, as i didnt want to use silver solder or heat beacause of the sender unit. I then got an efi type sock filter at the bottom of the 1/2 pipe, and also devoned it on.
Been there since 1999 and working fine.
I have 1/2 Gates brand Premoflex hose the entire way, and no problems with the law, or at the drag racing track.(250 psi hose)
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 00:43   #8 (permalink)

My mate did it the same way as you xdclevo and his worked fine also.If you look carefully you can completely dismantle the sender unit so that no damage happens during soldering.
george 351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 01:35   #9 (permalink)

Not sure if you said you are using a single line Mallory reg or a return line. If it's only a weekend warrior or drag car the single line is OK. If its a daily driver, I recommend the return style reg. It eases the workload on the pump and will extend its life.

You can buy 1/2" fuel lines from most performance shops coiled up in various lengths. You can unwind it gently and bend your own lines. Be careful not to kink the tubing. You have the option to run aluminium or stainless steel lines. I'm running 1/2" aluminium up and back on a return reg. Then braided line between reg and carb and between the tank pickup and filter. Make sure you run a good filter before the pump to keep crap out of it.

TIP: those AN fittings cost an arm and a leg - especially the 45* and 90* turns!! You can save lost of $$ by using brass tube fittings, rubber hose and clamps (reg to carb).

Own tube bending: need tube bender/tube cutter/flaring tool. You can get most of these for $15 ea.

Here's what my finished project looks like. A little over the top but you may get some ideas.

20 gallon fuel cell. External 45* filler cap. 1/2" aluminium return and vent tubes.

Rear sump pickup. 10AN feed to filter and Mallory Comp 140. 2nd outlet for happy gas!!

Pump/filter close up.

1/2" feed and return lines. 1/2" (8AN) reg to fuel bowls. Small fuel gauge fitted to 3rd reg outlet.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:02   #10 (permalink)

thanks for all the info. my intitial idea was to modify my own sender, and think thats the way i will do it.
Xdclevo, the gates brand hose sounds like the way to go, just not too sure whether it is legal to use a hose for fuel underneath the car in victoria, have to find that one out.
378ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech