Fuel problems (or lack of) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2006, 22:44   #1 (permalink)

Fuel problems (or lack of)

I am running a Holley mechanical fuel pump HLY-12-84. My problem is I am not getting any fuel up to the carb. It sits around for weeks at a time and usually takes a while to pump up but this time nothing. Nothing in the front bowl and the plugs are bone dry. Poured some fuel down the carb and she fired up so igniton is good. Has anyone had any experience with these pumps? Do just fail suddenly? Are they rebuildable? I think so, anyone done it or know the part number of the kit I need or where to get one? I assume it is the pump. It has had very little use (<5000Km) and I have an inline filter near the tank which is the same age. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2006, 23:12   #2 (permalink)

Re: Fuel problems (or lack of)

G'day you could remove the fuel line from the carby, place it into a fuel tin and get someone to turn the engine over. Just make sure its definately the pump. If its been sitting awhile, all weird things can happen.
xw383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 23:22   #3 (permalink)
XW GT

how long did you crank it over for, could have a fuel drain/vaporise problem.
the fuel tank can hold alot of pressure and either hold fuel back, or cause it to drain back into the tank from the carby, therefore no fuel
let us know how ya go
'77 XC FALCON 500.
'92 EB FAIRMONT
'91 EB FALCON
'76 XB CONTINENTIAL
YES I LIKE MY FORDS TO
DANGERXY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 01:37   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies. Sorted out the problem. Went and bought a 20L drum of fuel (at my wife's suggestion!) and put it in the tank and that was enough to get things going. There was definately fuel in it, the guage was showing just below 1/4 full. Just needed a bit more to get things going. I put $40 worth in last time I drove it but I guess $40 worth of premium is just a piss in the tank these days. I was starting to feel jinxed again as we have a concourse day on Sunday.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:24   #5 (permalink)

Easy fix I like those.

WRT a rebuild kit for a Holley mech pump though......I've had no such luck in being able to track one down. Been told they no longer make them. So, my Holley mech pump just collects dust. The diaphragm eventually died and wouldn't pump enough.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:21   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu351
Easy fix I like those.

WRT a rebuild kit for a Holley mech pump though......I've had no such luck in being able to track one down. Been told they no longer make them. So, my Holley mech pump just collects dust. The diaphragm eventually died and wouldn't pump enough.
That would be right. They make a rebuildable pump (unlike the factory Carter) and then stop making the kits for them. I think I will go electric if/when mine wears out. They are only rated at 60 GPH anyway. Holley website lists it a 80GPH but when I got it the box said 60 so work that one out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech