Fuel Pump Issues - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2003, 06:41   #1 (permalink)

Fuel Pump Issues

Had to get a tow home last night after the Holley Hi-volume mechanical fuel pump decided to fall apart internally. Pretty annoyed because that's the second one I've had that's done the same thing.

Figure the best thing to do is fit an electric pump, but had resisted this because apart from aforementioned reliability problem, the Holley Hi-volume mechanical delivered heaps of pressure without the hassles of wiring in an electric.

So my questions are, does anyone know of a hi-volume mechanical pump (other than Holley) to suit a Cleveland? Edelbrock have some great ones but alas only for Windsors...

If I go the electric, my choice would be a Holley Blue. I see there are issues with noise so rubber mounting is the way to go. But my question is, do these need to run a return line?

Any help be appreciated..

Old 12-14-2003, 06:52   #2 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Re: Fuel Pump Issues

No, no return line is needed they run at much less presure but hi volume..There is no difference with electric pumps from motor to motor.. W or Cle Evo 7 except for demand...Better fitted close to tank,they push much better than suck...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 16:52   #3 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

A Mallory 140 will do the trick. It's a much better designed pump than the holley. I run a Mallory 140 myself.

Remember to run it on a relay and also wire in a gas safety switch. The reason for the safety switch is so if the engines not running (no pulse to the safety switch), the pump won't keep pumping. Also a good thing if your even in an accident. A Malloy 140 fills a 5lt can in about 30-60sec. Imagine that being pumped onto the road in an accident. Extremely dangerous.

Brenden
Old 12-15-2003, 08:57   #4 (permalink)

Thanks Guys, I've pretty much settled on a Holley Blue which arrives tomorrow. Wiring etc will be done as it should..

Seems what was damaging the mechanical was revs, even though it held 7psi at 7000rpm, it wasn't built to handle it.
Old 12-15-2003, 23:24   #5 (permalink)
Slurry Boostin

Holley Blue's are fine for up to around a 220rwkw clevo.

Mallory's are a good unit as Brenx said. Quieter too.

Similar to what Brenx said, wire the fuel pump so when the engine isn't running, the fuel pump cuts.

I've got mine going from a relay off the alternator exciter. Then a button to prime in the morning.
VS 215i Senator *For Sale*
TTNOS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 03:45   #6 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Can an efi set up, return lines etc with unti surge tank up front with a 7Lp regulator of that to carb work ??
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 08:25   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNOS8
Holley Blue's are fine for up to around a 220rwkw clevo.

Mallory's are a good unit as Brenx said. Quieter too.

Similar to what Brenx said, wire the fuel pump so when the engine isn't running, the fuel pump cuts.

I've got mine going from a relay off the alternator exciter. Then a button to prime in the morning.
Cheers for that.. Why do you say only for upto 220 rear kw?. Thought they were a 14psi and high volume pump. Pretty sure I've seen them on drag cars doing 8 & 9 sec times....

Reckon I've got an honest 470+HP at the flywheel - motor was on an engine dyno 3 years ago and netted 402HP before doing the recent stroker conversion, more head work and the bigger solid cam, duuno what that would be at the rear wheels..
Old 12-16-2003, 20:14   #8 (permalink)

Holley blue are good for 600 HP (fly). Thats alot more than 220rwkw
andrewcrocos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 21:34   #9 (permalink)
Slurry Boostin

If your running a 750 or bigger, on an engine that revs to 6500rpm and/or beyond, then going off mine and my dyno tuners previous experiences, Holley Blues have their limits.

The figure of 220rwkw was an approximate figure and depending on the application/use of the pump they are a good unit.

The regulator that comes with the blue is very restrictive and although 14psi sounds good, you really are never going to need that high a fuel pressure.

What carby are you running?

The flow rate of the Blue is what lets it down. only just. 7,000rpm on a clevo making 240rwkw it starts to get to its limits. oh and the noise thing gets to some people. not me though.

A Mallory or even a holley black are better units.

Hope this may help some :)
VS 215i Senator *For Sale*
TTNOS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 04:23   #10 (permalink)

I dont think the pump caused your probs. My setup is a bit beyond that using a single blue with no probs. Hislops BB chev (468 cubes) runs a single blue pump.
slaves wage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech