Fuel pump, or no eccentric cam? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2004, 21:54   #1 (permalink)

Fuel pump, or no eccentric cam?

****Posted in Vehicle specific section, then moved to here********

Hi all,
I am new to the forums, but am looking for some help after an engine swap in my XC. I had a 302 dual fuel in this car which is only used to take stuff to the tip, carry my dogs, and general towing duties. It was diagnosed with stuffed valves, and I decided to do a swap to a 351 rather than have the heads fixed. The 351 was on straight gas before, so I had to swap the intake manifolds and dual fuel carby over, then fitted the previous mechanical pump to the newer engine.

All has gone OK, until I went to start it (on petrol). I pumped petrol into the carby, turned it over and while its catching and starting to idle, it will only run as long as the petrol is still there, ie its not getting anything from the pump. I have checked that the fuel line is primed to the pump, but see nothing when I remove the outlet fitting. As I was originally suspicious that maybe there wasnt an eccentric to drive the pump, I removed it, and then tried to get a light and mirror in to check. I cant see jack !! as its too dark.

Is it possible that the engine would have been rebuilt without this lobe?
Is there any way that I can tell if there is this lobe ?
If there isnt one, would it be best to try to take the timing cover etc off to add one, or just go with an electric pump?

Thanks for your help.

Nedster

PS I have searched the forums for help on fuel pumps but havent seen an answer yet, so dont crucify me if this has been asked before!
nedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2004, 19:38   #2 (permalink)

Re: Fuel pump, or no eccentric cam?

I remember having to buy a windsor one for my clevo many moons ago so the fuel pump would work. Not sure why though as I had a 302 and 351 clevo in bits at the time. I know that's no help but I had the exact same problem you describe when I assembled the engine. Good luck with it.
75Hardtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 20:32   #3 (permalink)
Slurry Boostin

Re: Fuel pump, or no eccentric cam?

You will have a lobe on the camshaft, possibly put your finger in there, or even a screwdriver or the likes and turn engine over BY HAND.

What is your oil level like? Is it higher than usual? Does the oil feel thin or smell like petrol?

What is the condition of the carby?

Most probably I'd say that your mechanical pump has packed it in. New Goss Mechanical pumps are about $50, or a basic electric is about $60 so its really up to you.

Both mechanical and electric have their pros and cons.

Good luck!
VS 215i Senator *For Sale*
TTNOS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech