Ford Forums banner

fuel pump problem

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  brenx 
#1 ·
i only drive my xbgt about 2 days a week. what i've noticed lately is the fuel filter is always empty after about 2 days sitting. also i have to wind the motor over for 3 mins or so before it fires. i take it the pump is shot and the fuel is running back to the tank but i believe the carb is emptying as well which may explain the time to pump it up again. is the pump the cause or could there be a prob in the carb. carb is holley 3310-3 750 vac and pump is standard mech.

#2 ·
Are you sure the carbs dry? As thats damn hard to do unless you have a powervalve/needle and seat issue (rooted carb). The carb along holds almost 1/2 a litre of fuel. Thats a tonne of fuel to go walk about.

I'd say the pumps gone but you also have another issue aswell.

Brenden

#3 ·
what i may do is wait a few days and check the carb to see if it really is empty. i put a kit through it and cleaned it up about 2 months ago and had no issues until about a week ago.
i take it the pump dosn't keep the carb pressurised.
the weird thing is if i stop it for a couple of hours, it then starts straight away. the prob is when left sitting for a couple of days.

#4 ·
I suppose if the carb had fuel in it, it would start strait up. The fuel must be escaping somewhere and probably in the motor, causing difficult starting. It also can't be the fuel vapourizing, as it has been taking some time to happen. Must of be something when kitting the carby, and a gasket or something is now leaking.
The next time it sits for a few days, just pump the exellerator pump on the carby and see if there is fuel. If none, put a splash into the carb and see if it fires.

#6 ·
If your worried about winding it over heaps, there is a real cheap simple solution, but first check you needle/seat isn't dribbling, that your pump isn't stuffed and that your oil dipstick level isn't higher than usual and/or smells like fuel. last one could be a bit of a worry.

If you fit a new pump and the carb is ok, a cheap check valve (or one way valve) will hold fuel up until the point where you fit it.

#7 ·
I like the idea to look down your carb after a few days and see it it squirts fuel.

If I turn my electric fuel pump off I can get a fair way down the road just cruising on the fuel bowls.

No, the pump doesn't pressurize the carb in the sense of how a fuel injection system works. The vacuum in the manifold and air flowing over the boosters (creating low static pressure) causes the fuel to get sucked in versus injected in.

Cranking for 3 minutes still sounds excessive to get the car to start. If you have an OLD mechanical pump, the rubber diaphragms can wear out and perish. If you had an internal carb leak it would be on your front fuel bowl (vac sec).

#8 ·
since posting this thread i have been using the gt everyday (go figure LOL) and it starts straight up even after over night. i've had a few issues with this carby for a while now so i'm getting a 650cfm reco unit that i've been assured is just right for my combo. fuel pump is in the mail as well. thanks for the replies fellas.

#9 ·
;) Clevo's get you hooked. Hence why I drive mine where ever possible. So far 100k's or so today!

It's probably just your seals going dry due to not being driven. Sitting a car in the garage for ages then taking it out for a spin is the worst thing anyone can do. Best to atleast start it up and take it for a 5 minute drive as idling can carbon/foul plugs if idling too long. After mine sat out the back for 6mths I had a nightmare of a time just getting it sorted. Search my threads that I started. Nothing but problems. Not it all reg'd I drive it on average 150k's minimum per week. Maximums about 500-600k's.

Brenden

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.