goal: 300rwhp - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2005, 21:40   #1 (permalink)

goal: 300rwhp

Hi there,

I’m wondering if anyone has any suggestions about how to come about 250-300rwhp. . . . preferably the 300 :D

So far it’s a 351 with 2V heads, will be driving it every day when it’s complete…

Is it possible to get this by 5k so I can keep the stock bottom end?

I do have access to a pair of mildly ported 2vs, with 4v valves, double springs, screw in studs, adjustable roller rockers. – My boyfriend won’t miss them, hehe

Any suggestions as to a suitable camshaft etc?

Any help much appreciated!
351ZAFairlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2005, 00:37   #2 (permalink)
Big Motor Top Loader !!

Re: goal: 300rwhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351ZAFairlane
Hi there,

I’m wondering if anyone has any suggestions about how to come about 250-300rwhp. . . . preferably the 300 :D

So far it’s a 351 with 2V heads, will be driving it every day when it’s complete…

Is it possible to get this by 5k so I can keep the stock bottom end?

I do have access to a pair of mildly ported 2vs, with 4v valves, double springs, screw in studs, adjustable roller rockers. – My boyfriend won’t miss them, hehe

Any suggestions as to a suitable camshaft etc?

Any help much appreciated!
If your forum name read 'CLEVO_CHIC'... i'm sure you would have gotten a reply by now....

stock bottom end? if your thinking of doing a 'short' when more funds are available, then yes it may be OK... i've kept my stock bottom end, and it just aint cut'n it, not holding the cyl pressure.

If your unfamiliar with any of this terminolgy, ask your boyfriend..

As for 300rwhp, it may be acheivable on your budget, but I don't know how long it will hold together.

Have a chat to TOCA performance, up in your neck of the woods, sorry don't have the number.. your boyfriend may have heard of them..

good luck.
xrgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 00:59   #3 (permalink)

What is the rundown on your bottomend.
How many kays has it done?
Has it been balanced?
Standard balanced bottomends(with ARP rodbolts) will handle 6500rpm with ease and more.
How are the heads. if they have the standard valves, definatly keep the rpm to a decent level like 5500 max. Just remenber that 250rwhp is very stout on the street. I wouldnt build around a RWHP figure, but instead for your intended use. You will never make 300rwhp at 5000rpm. Again your heads will play the biggest factor in your hp/rpm levels.
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 04:00   #4 (permalink)

I bought the engine as a “good runner,” out of a bronco so I’m assuming it’s totally stock, semi worn condition.

Suppose it needs a rebuild, I wouldn’t be afraid of spending some money for a nice reliable 250 – 300.

BF suggests:

eagle I beam rods and hyperutectic pistons for safe 6500rpm.

Heads previously mentioned: 2v CC, 4v single groove valves, double springs etc.)

Weiand excellerator, 700dp carb, and around 230 @ 50 hydraulic cam.

But what do you guys think? (just want some un-biased advice as my car would beat the crap out of his 302 xd with the power I’m looking for )

Also would 4v heads be a worth while investment for this project?
351ZAFairlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 06:21   #5 (permalink)

I beam rods and 4V's not required for your application. Just stock rods with ARP rod bolts will suffice with a mains stud kit for bottom end strength. Hyper pistons will be fine for 300hp.

You running an auto or manual in your ZA? You probably have stock 2.9 diff gears? Some 3.5's would really assist in acceleration.

Your 2V CC's will be OK. Have they had any port work done? Do they have screw in studs? or roller rockers? Personally I wouldn't be taking stock rockers to 6500. I'll assume you have heavy duty retainers and valve locks with your upgraded springs and valves. Make sure the valves aren't just soft stock replacements otherwise you could lose one at those revs. Need good pushrods too.

Is it a stock 302 XD? It would be lucky to pull a 16-17sec 1/4 mile!! You'd spank it (him), even on 7 cylinders.

Your carb/weiand/cam sound good. You'll need some extractors and a good twin system exhaust.

Starting to get into the bigger cam range, you'll need to look at a higher stall converter for it to work at its best. ie: may bog down off the start.
Old 08-16-2005, 23:55   #6 (permalink)
Prostreet Wagon

how much are you looking at spending? we build clevo's on the side and for around $5000 should give you 300 to 350 rwhp. we not long finished a 351ci mild port 2v's with 4v valves s/s ext running on pulp, hyper pistons, arp rod bolts & main studs, hi volume oil pump, crane F246 solid cam, moloy push rods, new bearings, rings, balanced bottom end, the bloke had bolt-on yella-terra roller rockers, a weiand x-celrator and 750 dp holley. the c4 that it was fitted to had a 3500 stall st3 shift kit with a 3:5 diff ratio he fitted it into an XF and it runs a 12:2 quater and revs to 7000 rpm all day, he is stoked.
Mick

Brisbane Car Club Check it out
Built-it Performance V8 Car Club (click here)

Burnouts, Cruises, Car Shows
V8's & Tuff 6's ONLY.
BIG Mick Race Engines
(Click For A Quote)
fat071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 00:00   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdclevo
I wouldnt build around a RWHP figure, but instead for your intended use. You will never make 300rwhp at 5000rpm. Again your heads will play the biggest factor in your hp/rpm levels.
Absolutely spot on! Build it for its intended purpose, not for a dyno number - which is absolutely meaningless anyway..
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 01:30   #8 (permalink)
82XE 351c

I think he can get the 300RWHP under 5,000rpm though. with the right combo that should be easy...
pracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 02:11   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pracy
I think he can get the 300RWHP under 5,000rpm though. with the right combo that should be easy...
I wish i could could. I have got a fair bit of motor and just makes over 300rwhp at 6900rpm.
I would like to see any guy making a max of 300rwhp at under 5000 rpm. Because if 351ZAFairlane is realistically going to make 300 at the very most if that, it will be up towards 5800 rpm at the least. Maybe if they made 450 rwhp, and did the 300 by 5000rpm, it is still way unrealistic.
Still, nothing too unstreet worthy doing 5800-6000rpm.
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 02:49   #10 (permalink)
82XE 351c

I am making 320.3rwhp now at 4,600rpm.
my motor can rev to 6,000+ (my limit) but i havn't got the fuel setup to do it yet :( cam makes power to 5,800 though so no need to go any more..

edit:

i read my post and reliased that my setup/cam isn't really what he is looking for, as it starts at 2,800 with a limit at 5,000 that isn't much fun. depends on the person and how they like the rev the f*rkr i guess
pracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech