got my glide, now sending it back! dodgy workmanship - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2005, 01:57   #1 (permalink)

got my glide, now sending it back! dodgy workmanship

don't you hate it when people don't live up to expectations, I had a fully decked glide with tb built by a very reputable shop, it was built to handle around 1000HP, the thing was painted black but lots of the case wasn't even cleaned properly, ie chunks of dirt, rocks, paint over oil/grease, the case had a 3mm deep dent in the top which actually caused a depression of the case in that area, the whole powerglide experience for me has started out poorly.

Lets just say the builder is one of the most reputable around and priced to match, you would think that they clean the cases before they rubuild them hey, I called the guy and he said that they can't clean the casses to harshly because they might get damaged-what an idiot-total bullshit, he then said he would send me some black paint to touch it up-WTF, who spends nearly 4K on a gearbox and expects to get something that looks like it was assembled/painted by retarded blind people, needles to say he is taking the box back, fitting a new case, and I will get this one unpainted that way he can't skimp on the cleaning. I am VERY pissed at this guy, how can he send something to someone expecting to get away with crap like that, makes me wonder if he actually builds them himself or just lets retarded people do it for him. Total loss of trust for him.

If I get it back and am happy with the product I will not identify the person, but if he decides to argue with me at all, I will post on every single forum I can find and send letters/fax to every single shop/supplier/business I have ever bought from or worked for, telling them (with pictorial evidence of course) that this guy has no quality control at all.

How do idiots think they can do this sorta shit, its like building a motor and telling the owner that the block couldn't be cleaned properly because it might get damaged, who the **** does he think he is, what a .........

Just goes to show that a reputation for doing good work doesn't mean that good work is what you get! He is sooo lucky I live in ACT instead of VIC.
ltd351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2005, 02:04   #2 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

Re: got my glide, now sending it back! dodgy workmanship

You're pretty sensitive by the sounds of it. So the paint job isn't dead perfect, sounds to me like yo're overreacting. I mean seriously, who cares about the paint on a gearbox?
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 02:11   #3 (permalink)

I recently brought a c4 from a reputable guy and it is painted silver. I am actually more interested in the box performing up to it's expectation's than the paint. For 4 grand why didn't you buy a superglide dedenbar case? and start with a new case or stick to a c4?
AZZA
azza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 02:11   #4 (permalink)
The SB Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd351
don't you hate it when people don't live up to expectations, I had a fully decked glide with tb built by a very reputable shop, it was built to handle around 1000HP, the thing was painted black but lots of the case wasn't even cleaned properly, ie chunks of dirt, rocks, paint over oil/grease, the case had a 3mm deep dent in the top which actually caused a depression of the case in that area, the whole powerglide experience for me has started out poorly.

Lets just say the builder is one of the most reputable around and priced to match, you would think that they clean the cases before they rubuild them hey, I called the guy and he said that they can't clean the casses to harshly because they might get damaged-what an idiot-total bullshit, he then said he would send me some black paint to touch it up-WTF, who spends nearly 4K on a gearbox and expects to get something that looks like it was assembled/painted by retarded blind people, needles to say he is taking the box back, fitting a new case, and I will get this one unpainted that way he can't skimp on the cleaning. I am VERY pissed at this guy, how can he send something to someone expecting to get away with crap like that, makes me wonder if he actually builds them himself or just lets retarded people do it for him. Total loss of trust for him.

If I get it back and am happy with the product I will not identify the person, but if he decides to argue with me at all, I will post on every single forum I can find and send letters/fax to every single shop/supplier/business I have ever bought from or worked for, telling them (with pictorial evidence of course) that this guy has no quality control at all.

How do idiots think they can do this sorta shit, its like building a motor and telling the owner that the block couldn't be cleaned properly because it might get damaged, who the **** does he think he is, what a .........

Just goes to show that a reputation for doing good work doesn't mean that good work is what you get! He is sooo lucky I live in ACT instead of VIC.
I had a similiar thing happen to me with a block i sent it out to a well known machinist,got it delivered with a couple of bores still scuffed.Just makes u wonder how these clowns do business.

Introducing the Boss 290 powerplant
The Boss 290 combines the best of both worlds, with race-bred power and everyday comfort. The awe-inspiring Boss 290 is a powerplant unlike any ever built in this country and comes to life on Australia's only current V8 production line.
FPVGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 02:13   #5 (permalink)

It's not the point that it's painted like crap. How can you expect a transmission to be built properly if the case hasn't even been cleaned? It takes all of 30 minutes in a parts washer and you'd think you'd do it to clean the inside out.
BBQ 351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 02:17   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd351

your in the right you paid you are entitled to get it back clean and presentable, i have changed autoshops for this exact problem if you are taking hard earned $$$ off someone for a job it should at least be presentable. if that much care is taken with the outside what is the qaulity of the inside where you can never tell. you have every right to be upset
reece1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 02:30   #7 (permalink)

Did they give you the right box?
AZZA
azza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 05:45   #8 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Surely they'd own a steam parts washer? How the hell do you hurt the case washing it? I know when my old C4 was done the damn thing got washed more times than I can count. I know as I was there during the whole build. Same goes for my glide. $4k is a little on the high side for a 1000hp glide. Should have been around $3k. I've been quoted $3k from various places.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/XB351/1/glide.jpg is how clean it should look. Thats mine after it's been in a car! Don't worry about paint. Black paint will just hide leaks. If there is a leak you will want to know where it is.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:01   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gayner
You're pretty sensitive by the sounds of it. So the paint job isn't dead perfect, sounds to me like yo're overreacting. I mean seriously, who cares about the paint on a gearbox?
My car is neat and tidy, not a showcar but paint rubbing off is un acceptable, combined with thick crud and a dented case you get me very pissed off. Especially when I went with this builder mainly because he was the most expensive and well known for building good glides.

If the parts aren't cleaned properly thats saying something, it is not acceptable even on a std reco box let alone a good one.

I think you didn't read the whole post as paint isn't the only issue.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:10   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by azza
I recently brought a c4 from a reputable guy and it is painted silver. I am actually more interested in the box performing up to it's expectation's than the paint. For 4 grand why didn't you buy a superglide dedenbar case? and start with a new case or stick to a c4?
AZZA
You can't build a dedenbar cased glide for 4K, try 10+K if you build it properly. Who cares why this or why that, they didn't do the job properly thats the point, I don't like c series 3 speeds, c10's are ok.

If you had an engine built and they said that the mud hanging off the side of it was acceptable I guess you wouldn't care hey, not if it worked ok????
Is that what your saying? Read the post fully the case is dented and they talked BS until the point they realised they weren't getting away with it, so now I am going to stick it to them because I can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech